One question: Why do we talk of trading Tejada?

MemorialStadKid

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well most pitchers are going to have pretty good splits in OPACY considering the O's offense is normally mediocre at best.:D:(

LOL true.

But BTerp said he only pitches well in Anaheim. Obviously, that is not true.

Actually, when i looked at his stats, Arlington jumped out at me and then a few bad starts and when you have a small sample size, it skews the numbers.

It would be one thing if he were aging or not talented but that's not the case, so this isn't a concern at this point in his career.

I would make the Aybar/Santana trade again if that was the absolute best trade we could get for Miggy.(and i thinkw e can get more).

However, i still prefer Lackey.

What would a reasonable person have inferred from Sorianos' home/road splits in Texas and his trade to Washington?

I didn't say that the splits should be discounted. I stated my opinion that sometimes home numbers might be better for more reasons than just a favorable ballpark.

And to answer your first question, it would have been assumed his stats wouldn't be as good. But then factor in contract year, playing in an inferior league, and him playing the best baseball of his career, and he does great. If he was still a Ranger, his OPS probably would have been closer to 1.000 though. I'll be interested in what he does during his next contract.

If you would trade those two for Tejada then I'd love to make a bunch of deals with you.

If I'm a team like LAA and Tejada would be a key piece in the puzzle to get me to the playoffs. Markakis is not proven and neither is Loewen. I think they're the O's future but I've got my fingers crossed for next year.

Would you also agree that no matter how good a pitcher's park Anaheim is, and I didn't think it was extreme, that there is no logical reason based on ballpark, that the splits should be that different?

No, I would not agree with that. If a player plays in a park that greatly favors him, the stats are going to reflect that. I'm not saying Anaheim is that extreme though.

LOL true.

But BTerp said he only pitches well in Anaheim. Obviously, that is not true.

Actually, when i looked at his stats, Arlington jumped out at me and then a few bad starts and when you have a small sample size, it skews the numbers.

It would be one thing if he were aging or not talented but that's not the case, so this isn't a concern at this point in his career.

I would make the Aybar/Santana trade again if that was the absolute best trade we could get for Miggy.(and i thinkw e can get more).

However, i still prefer Lackey.

I would prefer Lackey as well, but I don't see that happening.

Lackey would be much better, but I still feel (and my whole, overall, point is) we need to get someone to overpay by a lot for Tejada or else it isn't worth it.

Let me ask you something BTerp and be honest here(not all homer like :D )

Do you believe this team will do what is neccassary to build a team around Tejada for us to be in position to win over the next few years???

And, please don't say well if DCab and Loewen blow up, yada yada yada. That is always a possibility.

Let me ask you something BTerp and be honest here(not all homer like :D )

Do you believe this team will do what is neccassary to build a team around Tejada for us to be in position to win over the next few years???

And, please don't say well if DCab and Loewen blow up, yada yada yada. That is always a possibility.

I don't know, but I would rather take that chance, with Duquette and the MASN money and the younger talent here and coming, then have to go through another five years of rebuilding.

That's what would have to happen if we trade Tejada, because I don't think we'll be able to 1) sign free agents or 2) keep the present team together if we just up and trade him unless it is for a hell of a lot more then he is "supposed" to be worth.

I don't know, but I would rather take that chance, with Duquette and the MASN money and the younger talent here and coming, then have to go through another five years of rebuilding.

That's what would have to happen if we trade Tejada, because I don't think we'll be able to 1) sign free agents or 2) keep the present team together if we just up and trade him unless it is for a hell of a lot more then he is "supposed" to be worth.

You can have a better record and a team with better upside for next year even if you trade Tejada.

Seems like your disagreeing and agreeing in the same post. You think the numbers are explained by the ballpark but then you say that Ahaheim shouldn't be that extreme. Which is it? Did he have a 5.95 road ERA this year because his home park is that huge an advantage or not?

Not sure where you come up with any of this post, but whatever. Anaheim isn't extreme, but it's still a good pitchers park, it still helps him. Part of it is probably a comfort level as well. I'd be more comfortable aquiring him if his splits weren't as bad.

BTW, using your own arguments against you, Tejada isn't nearly the ballplayer you seem to think he is. From 2003-2005 his home OPS was over .900 while his road OPS was just .836. In 2006 the difference was even great as his road OPS dropped to .798. Miguel Tejada is an average offensive player away from OPACY. I'm surprised anyone really wants him. He's just not that good. :rolleyes:

Good point......

Why do we always talk about trading Tejada? I can't quite figure this one out. He -- in a lot of ways -- is the public face of this franchise. People who don't know crap about the Orioles knows who Miguel Tejada is.

Granted, things haven't worked out for us on the level we would have preferred, but I don't see how trading Tejada is going to do anything positive for the team except make a lot of fantasy baseball role players extremely happy.

If I was Tejada and I came to the OH, I would be kind of hurt on one hand and pissed off on the other. I can't see why we talk of trading Tejada. I can't imagine going to a Yankees message board (I would die first) and seeing a large majority of the posters squawking about trading Derek Jeter. It would be somewhat unthinkable to see that regardless of Jeter's performance in a given season.

I believe that the "9 losing seasons" excuse for wanting to dismantle the team is becoming thin. Whenever I see a post about having optimism, you get about 5 to 10 people explain that they "are cynical because we have all heard it before" and that "we are going to have a 10th losing season."

Breaking the team down to a new bunch of guys MIGHT result in a winner, just like spending some cash to bring in proven talent MIGHT also result in a championship. Either way, why we spend so much time speculating on getting rid of our arguably best player is a bizarre way to spend time "supporting" your baseball team IMHO.

Maybe I have missed out on the "fun" of talking about trading away popular players. I come from a time when the idea of talking about trading away Ripken would have resulted in a fistfight. :002_smad:

I know we all have a right to our opinions, but pessimism is just as infectious as optimism.

MSK

wow!!!!:) tHANK yOU!!! Great minds think alot!!!!!!;)

Archived