Wada's Return May Be Sooner than Expected: Showalter

OFFNY

I think that if he doesn't progress to the point where he is dominant at Norfolk he goes back to Japan.

If it's anything other than this I'll be ticked. I'm sure they're not happy about the money but in larger scope, we're in a pennant run. These guys have made the moves to solidify the team and we aren't that desperate for him. One good start and he's in consideration to replace Gonzalez??? I'm concerned about Gonzalez, but gimme a break this guy hasn't strung together two good starts in AAA and has an ERA over 5 in a pitchers park.

I say a pitchers park....

Sorry, needed a moment there. Having done some work in the arena, I'll trust the scouts who say he has average at best stuff and that is why Buck and Dan are taking their time until they know they have a spot, if any.

September call up, if at all.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it's anything other than this I'll be ticked. I'm sure they're not happy about the money but in larger scope, we're in a pennant run. These guys have made the moves to solidify the team and we aren't that desperate for him. One good start and he's in consideration to replace Gonzalez??? I'm concerned about Gonzalez, but gimme a break this guy hasn't strung together two good starts in AAA and has an ERA over 5 in a pitchers park.

I say a pitchers park....

Sorry, needed a moment there. Having done some work in the arena, I'll trust the scouts who say he has average at best stuff and that is why Buck and Dan are taking their time until they know they have a spot, if any.

September call up, if at all.

I don't think you can totally discount the fact that he was a top-of-the-rotation starter in Japan who's coming off TJ surgery. There is talent there, the results haven't consistently come back yet. I'm not counting on him, but I wouldn't be surprised if the light switch went on at some point.

He was 33-13 with a 2.28 in 354 innings, K:BB of about 3.5:1 his last two years in Japan. Even if you characterize Japanese ball as straight-up AAA that's pretty impressive.

this guy hasn't strung together two good starts in AAA, and has an ERA over 5 in a pitchers park.

He had 2 consecutive good starts on June 29th and July 5th, and 3 out of 4 good starts from June 17th through July 5th.

(JUNE 17)

5 shutout innings, a run in the 6th, then he got the first 2 batters out in the 7th before departing.

TSUYOSHI WADA O (vs. AAA-Indianapolis, 6/17)

IP:. 6.67

H:o 5

R:O 1

BB: 0

SO: 8

Pitches: 95 (66 Strikes, 29 Balls)

2013 ERA: 6.68 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

19 (14 Strikes, 5 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 4 Balls)

61 (51 Strikes, 1 Balls)

11 (71 Strikes, 4 Balls)

17 (11 Strikes, 6 Balls)

22 (16 Strikes, 6 Balls)

71 (41 Strikes, 3 Balls) *

* Wada retired 2 batters before departing in the 7th inning.

(JUNE 29th)

Wada retired 11 out of the final 12 batters that he faced (he gave up 1 walk in that time.)

TSUYOSHI WADA O (vs. AAA-Gwinnett, 6/29)

IP:. 6.33

H:o 5

R:O 2

BB: 2

SO: 6

Pitches: 92 (63 Strikes, 29 Balls)

2013 ERA: 5.74 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

12 (10 Strikes, 2 Balls)

18 (11 Strikes, 7 Balls)

20 (11 Strikes, 9 Balls)

10 (81 Strikes, 2 Balls)

14 (81 Strikes, 6 Balls)

14 (11 Strikes, 3 Balls)

41 (41 Strikes, 0 Balls) *

* Wada retired 1 batter in the 7th inning before departing.

(JULY 5th)

0 walks, 6 strikeouts, and 1 run over 6.67 innings tonight.

In recording 20 outs, Wada faced 2 batter over the minimum (22.)

TSUYOSHI WADA O (vs. AAA-Durham, 7/05)

IP:. 6.67

H:o 4

R:O 1

BB: 0

SO: 6

Pitches: 92 (67 Strikes, 25 Balls)

2013 ERA: 5.14 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

13 (91 Strikes, 4 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 4 Balls)

11 (81 Strikes, 3 Balls)

19 (15 Strikes, 4 Balls)

18 (12 Strikes, 6 Balls)

81 (61 Strikes, 2 Balls)

11 (91 Strikes, 2 Balls) *

* Wada retired 2 batters in the 7th inning before departing.

I don't think you can totally discount the fact that he was a top-of-the-rotation starter in Japan who's coming off TJ surgery. There is talent there, the results haven't consistently come back yet. I'm not counting on him, but I wouldn't be surprised if the light switch went on at some point.

He was 33-13 with a 2.28 in 354 innings, K:BB of about 3.5:1 his last two years in Japan. Even if you characterize Japanese ball as straight-up AAA that's pretty impressive.

We were the only team even remotely interested in him when he was signed. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

They wasn't lined up knocking on the door for McLouth.

Good comparison, McLouth was picked on waivers and Wada was signed for $4+ million. McLouth was a former GG winner and already had been a ML player. Wada, never played a ML inning in his life.

We were the only team even remotely interested in him when he was signed. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

That's just incorrect. A few minutes of Googling turned up an article here saying the Pirates were interested in both Wada and Chen, and another here linking the Nationals to him. It makes no sense that the O's would sign a guy to an $8M, two-year deal if they were the only team remotely interested in him.

Good comparison, McLouth was picked on waivers and Wada was signed for $4+ million. McLouth was a former GG winner and already had been a ML player. Wada, never played a ML inning in his life.

McLouth was signed to a minor league deal. He was not picked up on waivers.

Does a strong finish at AAA, make the O's even consider picking up his 4.75M option? The answer seems pretty easy but I could see the O's trying to figure a way to bring him back for less.

I can't imagine a scenario where the Orioles pick up that option. You have to imagine he will give the Orioles discount for the 3rd year after taking $8 million for nothing already.

I can't imagine a scenario where the Orioles pick up that option. You have to imagine he will give the Orioles discount for the 3rd year after taking $8 million for nothing already.

The only scenario I see it happening. God Forbid, we lose Gonzo to the DL, and they bring Wada up and he is lights out for the rest of the season and playoffs.

Baring that, the odds are probably 95-5, he doesnt resign with them.

That's just incorrect. A few minutes of Googling turned up an article here saying the Pirates were interested in both Wada and Chen, and another here linking the Nationals to him. It makes no sense that the O's would sign a guy to an $8M, two-year deal if they were the only team remotely interested in him.

That we were remotely interested when we signed him??? Great you found two articles that teams were looking at him. Were there any other teams close to signing him??? I'll answer. No, because the scouts determined his stuff doesn't play at the ML level.

I'm high on Wada. He clearly came back pretty rough and has been rounding into form slowly and surely. Ever since his 1.1 inning disaster game he's turned in some pretty effective outings. I'd say 6 of his last 8 starts have been "good" - he had one clunker, and one where he limited damage to 2 ER but only made it 4.2IP and walked 5 guys. The other six starts varied from acceptable (5IP, 2ER) to excellent (6.2IP, 0ER, 10K... his nickname is Dr. K.). He could be knocking on the door loudly in a couple more weeks.

You might be right but you are just making stuff up. You have no idea.

Come on RZ, you've read the the scouting reports right? Do I know for certain know there weren't other teams involved? No, but I know the what the scouts said because I talk to them. That isn't made up.

Come on RZ, you've read the the scouting reports right? Do I know for certain know there weren't other teams involved? No, but I know the what the scouts said because I talk to them. That isn't made up.

Ok, yea, I'll believe your supposed scout buddies over the fact other teams had documented interest in him and he signed a more lucrative deal than Chen. You're asking me to believe that Duquette, under big financial constraints, just randomly signed Wada to an $8M deal when they could have had him whatever they wanted since nobody else offered anything.

Archived