Wada's Return May Be Sooner than Expected: Showalter

OFFNY

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say tonight is make or break for Feldman. I was opposed to the acquisition mostly because I expected Buck and DD would stick with him long past when it was clear he wasn't getting the job done. I was pleasantly suprised when they skipped him in the rotation - andI think they will remove him from the rotation altogether if he doesn't have a good outing tonight. Of course - I hope he shuts the D-Backs down - but if he doesn't I expect to see Wada next time we need a 5th starter.

I don't think it's make or break time, but extra depth will soon be available in the form of Wada, Johnson and Hammel. Post season roster construction is pretty loose, so we could have some flexibility through September and October. That means guys will get short leashes.

I think TJ just strained his back.

Could be his oblique.

Seems like MASN has been giving a lot of Wada updates lately. Anyone else notice? I wouldn't mind him getting some spot starts to work his way in, and see what the picture looks like from there. If he can stick as a regular and an obvious upgrade during the run in, that would be great.

Wada pitched 6.67 shutout innings before Rochester got through for a run.

He just missed having 3 consecutive scoreless outings.

He had a streak of 18.33 consecutive shutout innings snapped.

1 walk, 3 strikeouts, and an outstanding strikes-to-balls ratio (62 Strikes, 28 Balls.)

TSUYOSHI WADA O (vs. AAA-Rochester, 8/12)

IP:. 7

H:o 5

R:O 1

BB: 1

SO: 3

Pitches: 90 (62 Strikes, 28 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.41 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

10 (81 Strikes, 21 Balls)

16 (13 Strikes, 31 Balls)

12 (91 Strikes, 31 Balls)

12 (71 Strikes, 51 Balls)

81 (71 Strikes, 11 Balls)

71 (41 Strikes, 31 Balls)

25 (14 Strikes, 11 Balls)

I think they'll be cautious with wada but I also think you can only keep talent down on the farm so long.

I saw his last game against Gwinnett in person here in Norfolk and I came away very impressed. Granted I also saw him get lit up in previous starts, but he's frankly a completely different pitcher now. His "stuff" is so much more crisp, I think he's finally rounding back into form after the surgery and getting his "feel" back.

I think they'll have him pitch one or two more for the tides and by September, he could easily be a 6th starter or a replacement for Feldman.

Scott needs to have a big game tonight. It should help him that Cody Ross, Arizona's hottest hitter, just dislocated his hip. Pitch carefully to goldschmidt and make someone else beat you. If he can't give us a QS tonight, it will very shortly be Wada time.

Thanks for that. It's good to hear from someone that has seen him pitch, and not have to rely solely on his pitching lines in the box scores.

I'm certainly no expert, but there is absolutely a noticeable difference from his first few starts with the tides and what he looks like now.

The "old wada" I had zero clue why we signed him and no hope he would ever be a major league starter.

The guy I saw last Tuesday was an entirely different pitcher who was commanding everything he threw. I don't know if his last three starts are closer to who he really is, but I'll just say that if it is, there is a reason he got a bigger contract than Chen and leave it at that.

I think Freddy Garcia will be up before Wada.

I could see that, but I think the opt-out will prompt the O's to see what Wada has, he will be on a short leash. And he should be based on what I have seen in Norfolk this season.

Archived