Is A Deal For Billy Butler Still Possible?

section18

Your not replacing Billy Butler's offensive production with a platoon of the nobodies you've mentioned. Platoons rarely work out the way they are expected due to injuries, days off, and late inning RPs. Plus they take 2 rosters spots and diminish Buck's flexibility to maneuver. Butler doesn't need to be pinch hit for as he is good against both lefties and righties. Just like Baines you can put him 3rd in the order and leave him there.

He doesn't quite hit RHP as well as Betemit. Also, he's not as fast (yikes) or as good defensively (yikes).

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should slow base running be a factor in extending Wieters? He barely makes it to 1b before the OF relays the ball back to the IF.

As long as the runners in front of Butler are fast enough to score when he drives them in, thats all that would concern me.

It's certainly part of the calculus. But Wieters offsets his baserunning drawbacks with significant positive defensive contributions.

How is the new gig going? Any inside info you want to share;)

Gig is outstanding, but very busy. Lots of work (we've put out ten of our top prospect lists already and they are MEATY pieces). Draft stuff amping up in January -- very excited.

As for O's, I threw out a couple thoughts in the Sickels thread. We haven't sat down for our group discussion of the O's yet, but the general industry thoughts seem to be unsexy system that thins out quickly. Lots of caution on getting too amped for Hader yet (though nice debut), split as to Marin as a SS or 2B. Love for Bernardina and Veloz. Gausman potentially more MLB ready than Bundy and upside not far behind. Hoes hits the ball VERY hard (among tops in AFL for exit speed off bat) and will hit like a regular. Not sure where the tweaks are needed to see more manifest power (outside of HR even), but pop is in the barrel somewhere. Three top 101 guys (which should be no surprise to anyone).

It's certainly part of the calculus. But Wieters offsets his baserunning drawbacks with significant positive defensive contributions.

I don't disagree. But i'd love to see the look on Boras' face when DD say's

"Listen Scott, we'd love to give Matt 6/90M. However, his 40 times are a little off. We're thinking more of 5/60M".

As for Butler, the purpose of getting him would be for his bat. Not his defense or ability to get around the bases fast. It's all moot anyhow. The Royals won't entertain trading Butler now. They are in win now mode as of right now. I imagine if they are out of it in July, he will be moved. They will get more then anyhow, once contenders have injuries or get desperate. Then the Royals can get other teams in a bidding war, and overpay in prospects.

Gig is outstanding, but very busy. Lots of work (we've put out ten of our top prospect lists already and they are MEATY pieces). Draft stuff amping up in January -- very excited.

As for O's, I threw out a couple thoughts in the Sickels thread. We haven't sat down for our group discussion of the O's yet, but the general industry thoughts seem to be unsexy system that thins out quickly. Lots of caution on getting too amped for Hader yet (though nice debut), split as to Marin as a SS or 2B. Love for Bernardina and Veloz. Gausman potentially more MLB ready than Bundy and upside not far behind. Hoes hits the ball VERY hard (among tops in AFL for exit speed off bat) and will hit like a regular. Not sure where the tweaks are needed to see more manifest power (outside of HR even), but pop is in the barrel somewhere. Three top 101 guys (which should be no surprise to anyone).

Is that good or bad? I had heard Gausman had more like #2/3 stuff. Is he that highly regarded, or is the feeling Bundy isn't going to be a TOR sp? Just curious.

I don't disagree. But i'd love to see the look on Boras' face when DD say's

"Listen Scott, we'd love to give Matt 6/90M. However, his 40 times are a little off. We're thinking more of 5/60M".

As for Butler, the purpose of getting him would be for his bat. Not his defense or ability to get around the bases fast. It's all moot anyhow. The Royals won't entertain trading Butler now. They are in win now mode as of right now. I imagine if they are out of it in July, he will be moved. They will get more then anyhow, once contenders have injuries or get desperate. Then the Royals can get other teams in a bidding war, and overpay in prospects.

Well, it varies from org to org, but it certainly would not be a surprise to Boras to see a team state something along the lines of "It's fantastic that Matty provides so much value defensively, and the bat has come around as well. Still, he's giving like a quarter of that value back on the bases."

Agreed, KAN not incentivized to move Butler at this point, but who really knows what Moore has up his sleeve...

Is that good or bad? I had heard Gausman had more like #2/3 stuff. Is he that highly regarded, or is the feeling Bundy isn't going to be a TOR sp? Just curious.

Both are front-end arms. I don't know what the argument is that Gausman has #2/3 stuff. His fastball, to me, is more impressive than Bundy's and comes with better plane/angles. Both are very good prospects -- top 15 in baseball quality. Bundy will get top 5 overall love from most publications but it would not be an upset if Gausman has the better career.

Who cares Betemit is a role player....his glove stinks, he's a pretty mediocre runner, and he ant hit LHP. What's your point?

These two things are also true of Butler.

I think the point here is that the O's could conceivably get decent production out of a platoon of Betemit and a right-handed hitter (Pearce/Valencia/etc.). The platoon likely wouldn't be as productive as Butler by himself, but it'd be at a fraction of the cost of Butler and they wouldn't have to give up any valuable trade pieces.

Both are front-end arms. I don't know what the argument is that Gausman has #2/3 stuff. His fastball, to me, is more impressive than Bundy's and comes with better plane/angles. Both are very good prospects -- top 15 in baseball quality. Bundy will get top 5 overall love from most publications but it would not be an upset if Gausman has the better career.

Good stuff thanks. I had heard Gausman didn't have the velocity. It's cool to hear it's on par and maybe better than Bundy's. Seems people are quick to call Bundy untouchable, but in the same breath willing to give up Gausman as a PTBNL in a trade for a bat. It's nice that the O's may have a 1A and a 1B. That's what wins championships.

Once I saw you were around, I looked for your posts and did see that one you referenced. I am a Gausman fan so that makes me happy. He looks like they look.

These two things are also true of Butler.

I think the point here is that the O's could conceivably get decent production out of a platoon of Betemit and a right-handed hitter (Pearce/Valencia/etc.). The platoon likely wouldn't be as productive as Butler by himself, but it'd be at a fraction of the cost of Butler and they wouldn't have to give up any valuable trade pieces.

I think the platoon will be more valuable if we can get someone like Hairston, or if Jackson returns to form. Even with Valencia, it should be good enough to not matter.

Archived