Duquette, "Our best players are going to come up through the farm system."

andrewrickli

Whats stopping them is the players not agreeing to it. Period. Sure they could offer. If you want to be mad they didn't offer then I guess you can. But Matt would not make the deal.

I can just plainly state, with 100% certainty, that you have no idea what you are talking about. I'm drained; I need to step away from this.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whats stopping them is the players not agreeing to it. Period. Sure they could offer. If you want to be mad they didn't offer then I guess you can. But Matt would not make the deal.

And I'm not "mad they didn't offer". I'm frustrated that you are expressing asinine opinions as to why Tampa has these special cases that allow them to get great deals while Baltimore must suffer harsher realities. That's moronic. Tampa evaluates their players well and has recently made very good decisions as to who to keep and who to trade. Period. Baltimore has been nowhere near as effective, and the result is a $100MM payroll that has probably around a 78-82 win baseline talent.

I can just plainly state, with 100% certainty, that you have no idea what you are talking about. I'm drained; I need to step away from this.

My only question is that if it's so easy to do, why isn't Strasburg, Harper, Posey, Trout, etc signed to long term deals? If you are so certain that it's so easy to offer these young prospects extensions, and that they would accept, why don't these plaeyrs have extensions yet?

All of this is really a thought experiment. We really have no way of knowing if Matt would have been willing to take a deal or not; however, one can postulate that this might have been the best deal for Matt. If you're really honest about it, Matt is a one dimensional player unless his bat picks up. Admittedly he is darn good at that one dimension.

My only question is that if it's so easy to do, why isn't Strasburg, Harper, Posey, Trout, etc signed to long term deals? If you are so certain that it's so easy to offer these young prospects extensions, and that they would accept, why don't these plaeyrs have extensions yet?

I hear Washington tried with Harper. He said "bro thats a clown question":smile11:

Strasburg banked $15MM already and underwent Tommy John surgery.

The Giants, Nats and Angels do not consider themselves limited in their payroll, and apparently don't feel the need to take on the risk of injury or future non-performance in order to save several million down the line. Baltimore, apparently, has that need, as a team bumping into its payroll ceiling while still a ways off from where they need to be, talent wise. Pretty straight forward.

I think we almost all believe that, one way or another, Angelos could pump more money into the Orioles from MASN if he chose. None of us know the details. We probably never will.

I think the reason we all believe that is because we've seen other teams spend once they got their TV networks in place yet the Orioles have been at status quo for some time now.

Strasburg banked $15MM already and underwent Tommy John surgery.

The Giants, Nats and Angels do not consider themselves limited in their payroll, and apparently don't feel the need to take on the risk of injury or future non-performance in order to save several million down the line. Baltimore, apparently, has that need, as a team bumping into its payroll ceiling while still a ways off from where they need to be, talent wise. Pretty straight forward.

Maybe the Orioles don't feel they need to take that risk with their own players either. They have been willing to sign those players regardless of price lately with Jones, Roberts, and Markakis. It would be different if they'd of let these players walk.

Maybe the Orioles don't feel they need to take that risk with their own players either. They have been willing to sign those players regardless of price lately with Jones, Roberts, and Markakis. It would be different if they'd of let these players walk.

Well, that might be the case. But if so then something has to give if Baltimore wants to compete regularly in the AL East on $100MM. Ideally it's pumping out homegrown talent, but so far I can see a major flaw in that approach.

I think the point is a team with our payroll limitations needs to take these types of risks in order to maximize surplus value. That said, I tend to agree with your point that we haven't had the selection of players to choose from as had Tampa. I'm not sure I'd have done it with Wieters (probably too late now) and although it would have certainly been wiser to sign Jones a year earlier (at a substantially lesser contract than what he got), neither are comparable to a Longoria imo.

Several years ago the Indians employed this strategy with guys like Hafner, Sizemore and Carmona. I thought it looked good at the time, but it ended up pretty badly for them.

I think Machado could be a good extension guy if he's rolling along in June, but not right now.

Well, that might be the case. But if so then something has to give if Baltimore wants to compete regularly in the AL East on $100MM. Ideally it's pumping out homegrown talent, but so far I can see a major flaw in that approach.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if DD saved money by going this route, he still would not spend much more in free agency. It's just not his approach.

I think the point is a team with our payroll limitations needs to take these types of risks in order to maximize surplus value. That said, I tend to agree with your point that we haven't had the selection of players to choose from as had Tampa. I'm not sure I'd have done it with Wieters (probably too late now) and although it would have certainly been wiser to sign Jones a year earlier (at a substantially lessser contract than what he got), neither are comparable to a Longoria imo.

Several years ago the Indians employed this strategy with guys like Hafner, Sizemore and Carmona. I thought it looked good at the time, but it ended up pretty badly for them.

I think Machado could be a good extension guy if he's rolling along in June, but not right now.

I agree about Machado.

Doing it now probably saves several million dollars. Isn't that the whole point of taking this approach? I've seen enough of Machado to be comfortable committing to him now.

Archived