Spring Notes: Brian Roberts a full go this spring

Tony-OH

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan & Buck will give Brian every opportunity to show he can be the teams starting 2nd baseman. As the longest tenured Oriole, I think he deserves that.

I think Brian comes back a little slow at the start of spring but eventually heats up before heading North. Buck has already said that Brian will travel to a lot of the away ST games and get in his work...the team is ready to prepare Brian as best as "they" can.

Ultimately, I see Roberts winning the 2nd base job and performing "okay" during April then slowly heating up. I'd expect Flathery to spell Roberts 1x/week out of the gates.

I don't know what to think abut Roberts. He doesn't have to return to old form to be upgrade over last year so my hopes are pretty even with my expectations. He has a skill set of seeing lots of pitches and stealing bases and if he can take a walk and steal second, its just as good as a double for a leadoff guy, right?

I think he starts at leadoff and eventually moves to 9th. I think he is out by the break.

I don't know what to think abut Roberts. He doesn't have to return to old form to be upgrade over last year so my hopes are pretty even with my expectations. He has a skill set of seeing lots of pitches and stealing bases and if he can take a walk and steal second, its just as good as a double for a leadoff guy, right?

I think he starts at leadoff and eventually moves to 9th. I think he is out by the break.

An upgrade? What OPS and WAR did the O's get out of 2B last year?

Not being snooty, I really am curious as to what Roberts would have to do to be an upgrade over 2B from 2012.

Not being snooty, I really am curious as to what Roberts would have to do to be an upgrade over 2B from 2012.

It wouldn't take much from someone to provide an upgrade. I saw the numbers from last year a few weeks ago and they were bad. I'll see if I can find them.

I'd like to see him start the season batting 9th. That would reduce pressure and at bats which = wear and tear. Through the season, if he returns to pre-injury spark-plug form, then consider moving him to the top of the order.

I'd like to see him start the season batting 9th. That would reduce pressure and at bats which = wear and tear. Through the season, if he returns to pre-injury spark-plug form, then consider moving him to the top of the order.

I've said it before in other threads and I'll say it again, Buck has a track record of playing veterans in roles that their track record suggests would fit the best despite actual performance. See Vlad, DLee, Hardy in the 2 hole last season, Gregg in the closers role in 2011. Buck will bat Roberts first, at least to start the season. I want to see him hit 9th, but thatsnot what I think will actually happen.

Roberts will get his chance to win or loss the job. If he plays well then by all means ride him as long as possible.

But what if his bat comes back yet he can't play defense? He was never a great defender, at his age with the time missed, I could see him being a hindrance to the infield.

Does he have any value as a DH? Assuming his bat comes around I could see him as a DH this season. Reimold is a better play, but who knows how long he can stay off the DL.

The job will be Roberts' to lose, but that said, I don't see the Orioles "babying" him this Spring. They will send him out there to play. Road trips. A lot of innings. If he can't hold up in ST, then he'll have no use to the team during the season. No more "taking things slowly." Either he can, or he can't.

Do, or do not, there is no try!

Yoda-1980

Considering that he put up -1 WAR in only 17 games last season what he will have to do is play significantly better then he did in 2012 to reach the bar of replacement level that Andino set last season.

Considering that he put up -1 WAR in only 17 games last season what he will have to do is play significantly better then he did in 2012 to reach the bar of replacement level that Andino set last season.

I don't deny this, but, the man was injured last year. I don't think we can conclude anything by his 17 games last season.

That said, I don't expect BRob to play a significant role on this team. But, I HOPE that I'm wrong.

Archived