2013 Norfolk Tides

luismatos4prez

Jason Pirdie and I have never been so excited to see a minor league baseball team in action. Not a player in particular. But I want to see them make mincemeat of the International League.

I'd put our Norfolk Tides team up against any team in the bigs. Most talented team I've ever been on. Big league caliber players up and down

- Jason Pirdie

Is this the new moneyball? Gather the guys that have the pedigree, track record, potential, whatever you want to call it, and create the best depth you can. It's pretty interesting. I've never heard this type of approach to building a team. Maybe it's just what you do when your minors are pretty bare, but maybe it's something we will see this team keep doing for some time.

I wonder if we will see this approach emulated by other teams.

Is this the new moneyball? Gather the guys that have the pedigree, track record, potential, whatever you want to call it, and create the best depth you can. It's pretty interesting. I've never heard this type of approach to building a team. Maybe it's just what you do when your minors are pretty bare, but maybe it's something we will see this team keep doing for some time.

I wonder if we will see this approach emulated by other teams.

Would be funny to see bidding wars on folks like Pirdie.

Right. Little mini battles of 100,000 or 200,000. It would probably mean a ton to those guys and their young families. I know we paid good on Pearce, but have we consistently done that to some of the other guys? Valencia, Ishikawa, Robinson, and the others? Seems like a nice investment.

Right. Little mini battles of 100,000 or 200,000. It would probably mean a ton to those guys and their young families. I know we paid good on Pearce, but have we consistently done that to some of the other guys? Valencia, Ishikawa, Robinson, and the others? Seems like a nice investment.

Wouldn't having a talented AAA squad decrease a player like Pridie's chances of being called up though? Like, if the O's need an outfielder, they'd have guys like Dickerson, Jackson ahead of him and Hoes and Avery catching up behind. A good problem for the O's to have, big problem for problem for Pridie to have.

Wouldn't having a talented AAA squad decrease a player like Pridie's chances of being called up though? Like, if the O's need an outfielder, they'd have guys like Dickerson, Jackson ahead of him and Hoes and Avery catching up behind. A good problem for the O's to have, big problem for problem for Pridie to have.

Yes and no I think, if Pridie gets hot and we need an OF who can cover some ground and Dickerson is still limping with a busted ankle I could seem him getting called up. Just basing reasoning on last years logic, whoever seemed to be doing well for a stint was called up in a time of need (Lew Ford is a perfect example). Plus, you dont really have to worry about losing Pridie on waivers since if someone claims him we still have Dickerson, Avery, Hoes, and even Ford who can cover CF in a pinch if necessary.

Per Roch, "The Orioles will be announcing their affiliate rosters within the next few days, and I'm curious how Norfolk will be able to find room for all those players. Maybe the International League has approved 45-man rosters."

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/03/breaking-away.html

I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of paper moves.

My guess is that the position players will look something like this...

C - Luis Exposito

1B - Travis Ishikawa

2B - Yamaico Navarro

SS - Jonathan Schoop

3B - Danny Valencia

OF - Trayvon Robinson

OF - Chris Dickerson

OF - Lew Ford

DH - Conor Jackson

C - Luis Martinez/Chris Robinson

U - Ruzz Canzler

OF - Jason Pridie

That doesn't even create spots for the young, "prospect" players like Avery and Hoes. I would've had Niuman Romero as the back-up middle infielder, but Roch says he's headed to Bowie to provide good defense for our young pitchers.

My guess is that the position players will look something like this...

C - Luis Exposito

1B - Travis Ishikawa

2B - Yamaico Navarro

SS - Jonathan Schoop

3B - Danny Valencia

OF - Trayvon Robinson

OF - Chris Dickerson

OF - Lew Ford

DH - Conor Jackson

C - Luis Martinez/Chris Robinson

U - Ruzz Canzler

OF - Jason Pridie

That doesn't even create spots for the young, "prospect" players like Avery and Hoes. I would've had Niuman Romero as the back-up middle infielder, but Roch says he's headed to Bowie to provide good defense for our young pitchers.

Hoes should be playing every day at Norfolk with the veterans each getting one day off when he starts. Avery will most likely go back to Bowie.

Archived