vs. The Yankees 4/12

weams

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was a hard hit ball over his head where he overran it slightly and closed up too soon. He didn't take a bad jump. He didn't take a bad route.

I didn't say either. Regardless, he moved slightly to his right at the end so when he put his glove up it blocked his eyes and he wasn't able to watch the ball into the glove. That's not a mistake a major league center fielder should make. Look, I'm not bashing Jones as a player and I'm not sure he was hiot dogging it or not, but what I do know is that Jones will take responsibility for this because it was his fault.

Yeah but when is that going to end? The Yankees are supposed to be down this year, we are supposed to be up. Is asking to win more than 3/9 vs the MFY going to be too much forever?

As much as we always hear this, I don't believe the Yankmees are ever going to be down in the sense we want them to be. I'll believe it when I see it. We just can't rely on them having a down year.

The outcome sucks. But let's not roast the guy and claim it's laziness, lack of concentration, or bubble gum.

Ummmm you are looking for any reason you can to excuse it.

I'm observing what happened. He sprinted back, then stopped running hard.....he stuck his 1 hand up and didnt get centered even though he had time too.

You cal it what you want. It was a lazy play and slightly hot doggisj.

You are just flat out wrong.

As much as we always hear this, I don't believe the Yankmees are ever going to be down in the sense we want them to be. I'll believe it when I see it. We just can't rely on the having a down year.

Yeah, when you can bring a massive contract in like Vernon Wells at anytime then you will never be having a "down year".. and this is why i HATE the MFY

I didn't say either. Regardless, he moved slightly to his right at the end so when he put his glove up it blocked his eyes and he wasn't able to watch the ball into the glove. That's not a mistake a major league center fielder should make. Look, I'm not bashing Jones as a player and I'm not sure he was hiot dogging it or not, but what I do know is that Jones will take responsibility for this because it was his fault.

Of course he will take responsibility for it. That's the kind of guy he is. But I dare a reporter to ask the following questions:

1. Did you miss the ball because you're lazy?

2. Did you miss the ball because of lack of effort or concentration?

3. Did you miss the ball because of blowing bubbles?

...and I'd expect Adam Jones to go off on that reporter. And it'd be well deserved, because those are stupid questions for a guy that busts his ass for this organization and town.

Putting all that aside, the ball needs to be caught. It was an unfortunate side effect having 3 runners on. But he did everything right on there except anticipating that the ball was coming down faster than it really was. That's it.

Yeah but when is that going to end? The Yankees are supposed to be down this year, we are supposed to be up. Is asking to win more than 3/9 vs the MFY going to be too much forever?

Seriously. The crap that happened tonight is all too familiar. I thought this would be the year where the MFY's would embarrass themselves. Whatever. It's April 12th. Win the next two, get the series and I'll forget this...maybe.

I never question Jonesy on his effort. Watch it again though. He ALWAYS, and I mean always coasts to a ball that he thinks he has lined up. That is not proper OF technique.

It's not how I teach the kids I coach and it's not what I looked for in good OF play when scouting.

Bingo. He sprinted back initially....but then coasted once he thought he had it.

That is not proper baseball. You hustle all the way, get under the ball, line it up and use two hands.

He did NONE of those things.

Ummmm you are looking for any reason you can to excuse it.

I'm observing what happened. He sprinted back, then stopped running hard.....he stuck his 1 hand up and didnt get centered even though he had time too.

You cal it what you want. It was a lazy play and slightly hot doggisj.

You are just flat out wrong.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Calling it lazy or hot dogging it is an insult to the player.

An aberration? An exception? He closed his glove ever so soon. Watch the play again. If you want to say anything he maybe misjudged how fast the ball was dropping. That's not lack of concentration. That's not being lazy.

His glove blocked his sight right at the last moment because he was still twisting his head back. And he was blowing that bubble RIGHT at that split second. He was almost looking down.

Of course he will take responsibility for it. That's the kind of guy he is. But I dare a reporter to ask the following questions:

1. Did you miss the ball because you're lazy?

2. Did you miss the ball because of lack of effort or concentration?

3. Did you miss the ball because of blowing bubbles?

...and I'd expect Adam Jones to go off on that reporter. And it'd be well deserved, because those are stupid questions for a guy that busts his ass for this organization and town.

Putting all that aside, the ball needs to be caught. It was an unfortunate side effect having 3 runners on. But he did everything right on there except anticipating that the ball was coming down faster than it really was. That's it.

No one is saying jones doesn't bust his butt for the O's....nice straw man argument.

That doesn't change that on this one particular play, he blew it by playing it far too nonchalantly. Accept the fact that jones blew it and move on.

Bingo. He sprinted back initially....but then coasted once he thought he had it.

That is not proper baseball. You hustle all the way, get under the ball, line it up and use two hands.

He did NONE of those things.

When that ball was hit..he was in medium depth center field.

It came off the bat pretty hard...died in the wind since the was blowing in. He thought the ball was hit harder (it was), but it died in dead center field on the warning track. If he thought the ball was a liner with that kind of arc...then he played it 100% right.

The difference is that the wind is blowing in, the arc is suddenly a lot larger. That's why he overran it slightly...that's why he closed his glove early.

That ball ended up on the warning track. But if you honestly think he could go from medium center field on a ball that started off as a hard hit liner...run full speed to the wall...turn around and wait for the ball...then that's revisionist history.

No one is saying jones doesn't bust his butt for the O's....nice straw man argument.

That doesn't change that on this one particular play, he blew it by playing it far too nonchalantly. Accept the fact that jones blew it and move on.

No one is saying? Look on Twitter, look on Facebook. Look at people blaming him for being lazy, lacking concentration, or blaming it on blowing bubbles.

It was a botched play. But not because of lack of concentration.

Personally I think it was a harder play than everyone is making it out. Cold, rainy night with wild blowing in. Ball hit to dead center ending up on warning track with wind blowing in can put some English on it.

Archived