Why I like Nick Markakis - BB

BoltonBob

Much has been said/speculated on Nick Markakis' future with the O's. I hope he stays, as I remember how he got here. For a while he, and BRob seemed to be the only home grown ML capable position players. He was the Orioles' first-round draft pick, seventh overall in the 2003 Major League Baseball Draft. He had a fastball that was 96 miles per hour, Nick was widely viewed as a pitching prospect but the Orioles preferred his potential as a hitter.

Markakis was originally drafted in 2001 (Wasn't that 9/11 year?) by the Cincinnati Reds, from Woodstock High School in Woodstock, Georgia but decided to attend Young Harris College instead. The Reds drafted him again in 2002, but he returned to Young Harris.

Markakis's school, Young Harris College, is a private, Methodist-affiliated liberal arts college in the mountains of northeast Georgia. The College is highly regarded in Georgia and has had more of an impact on the state's politics and society than would be expected from a small school in the mountains. Over the last 100+ years, many students have chosen careers in public service; the ministry and teaching have been traditional vocations, but some chose politics. One U.S. Senator, two governors, a number of congressmen, state legislators and mayors all started out at YH. (Forgive me for rambling on! BB :laughlol:)

Nicky played for YH as both an outfielder and a pitcher, hitting .439 with 21 home runs and 92 RBIs, while also gathering a 12-0 win-loss record as a pitcher with 1 save and a 1.68 earned run average in 15 games. He was twice named Georgia Junior College Player of the Year and was awarded Baseball America's 2002 National JUCO Player of the Year. :(:clap3: :2yay-thumb:

In August 2003, he played in the European National Championships, winning a silver medal with Team Greece. Some O's fans might remember, Angelos gave Nick permission to play for Greece in 2004 Olympics, the first for the Greek Olympic baseball team in Athens. Greece, as the host country, was faced with the dilemma that the actual baseball talent pool in the country was very small, and what players were available were amateur. :scratchchinhmm::scratchchinhmm: However, as a result of lenient citizenship laws, various minor leaguers from the United States were able to play for the Greeks. Among the better known players were Baltimore Orioles prospect Nick Markakis, former Major Leaguer Clay Bellinger and various other players of Greek descent. The team's American coach, Dusty Rhodes led them to a 7th place finish in the tournament, with a single win against Italy

Baseball at the Games of the XXVIII Olympiad

Venue Helliniko Olympic Complex

Dates August 15-25

Teams 8

Medalists

Cuba - Gold

Australia - Silver

Japan - Bronze

Baseball at the 2004 Summer Olympics was held on two separate diamonds within the Helliniko Olympic Complex, from August 15 to August 25. This was a male-only event.

The competition consisted of a preliminary round with each team playing all the other teams once, for a total of seven games. The top four teams at the end of this round advanced to the medals round. The medals round consisted of two semifinal games with the winners advancing to the gold medal game. The losing teams of the semifinals would play in the bronze medal game. 2008 was the last time for BBall in the Olympics. :mad: (Stop rambling :)BB!)

Personally I can't see Angelos letting Nick go anywhere.:2yay-thumb::2yay-thumb:

From various sources. BB

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nick has a $17,500 option in 2015. He can void that option if he wants to. I can't see the O's extending him for that kind of money. He'll only be 31 but he's already lost a step and his arm doesn't seem as consistently good as it once was. Of course, I have no idea what he'd command on the open market but I think he'd have to settle for a little hometown discount if he wants to stay longterm.

Umm sounds like a no-brainer to pick that up :rolleyes:

As much as I would want him to stay, there is no way he can live up to that kind of money. Unless they can work out an extension with a significant discount, I think next year is his last here.

Which of these things is not like the others?

Rick Elder

Mike Paradis

Beau Hale

Chris Smith

Adam Loewen

Nick Markakis

Wade Townsend

Brandon Snyder

Billy Rowell

That's a list of the top Orioles pick for each year from 1998-2006. As the Orioles' top pick in the 2003 draft, Nick was the one success in a sea of epic failure over a 9 year period. In fact, if you want to exclude Jayson Werth ('97), who never did anything in an Oriole uniform, you'd have to go back to Jeffrey Hammonds ('92) to find an Orioles' top pick who actually contributed significantly to the major league club.

Quite simply, that's why I'll never be able to be completely objective about Nick. He's the one ray of sunshine from a dismal period. He's the guy who never had to repeat a level in the minors, who actually got better each year as he developed, and who had an impact on the team as a rookie and beyond. While all around him, guys were disappointing, having setbacks, getting hurt, not signing, etc., etc.

So, while Nick never quite became the all-star player I thought he'd be, I'll always love him simply because he didn't fail, when all around him were failing. Thankfully, the franchise has had a few more succeses in the last five years, but it was a long, fallow period with the exception of one Nick Markakis, The Boy Who Lived.

(P.S. -- I know we had a few players who weren't our top draft picks who had some success, like BRob and Bedard in '99. I don't think that alters my point.)

That Nick Markakis is one of the only successful draft picks in recent years and therefore we like him?

And that Nick has the "Want To", Buck often mentions Not going to see any ARod, Hamilton, crap out of this guy,....credit to baseball, O's... Hec Human Race. Have until July '14 to decide fate....... Love to see Him and BRob remain with O's after career over. Brady, Bordick, BRob, Nicky, Jim Thome ?? Wait 'til I'm GM/Manager/VP/Owner.

At the end of the day, and while I respect the OH oddity that is a BoltonBob post, about 95% of this doesn't matter and it will be about whether Nick can still produce at a high level for the club.

Right now, he absolutely can and he's a lock to have the best batting average and one of the highest OBP on the team every single year. His defense/speed is probably slipping a bit, but there's no more polished hitter on this ballclub. If he's still that guy at the end of his contract, I expect he'll be an Oriole for life.

Nick quietly getting things done, again and again, and again! :)

Nick's line Wed tonight. :clap3::clap3:

................AB R H RBI BB SO #P AVG OPB SLU

N Markakis RF 3 1 2 1 1 0 19 .315. 373 .463

If Nick gets back to being able to stay healthy he is going to be one of those guys that people are going to look at his stats at the end of his career and say "I did not realize he was that good". I also still think he will have a couple monster years before he is done. He is my favorite Oriole and IMO he is clearly the most talented guy with a bat on the club. Davis may be making a run at that title.

Nick has certainly been an asset to the O's and a solid performer over his tenure. It's hard to believe that he and Reimold are about he same age. It really shows how good a ballplayer he was at a young age. He has been loyal and the only noteworthy player through the very lean years. That fact has probably, being the only "star" (maybe Roberts too), has caused fans to ask such questions as "Is he an All Star? HOF? Gold Glover?? He has been a solid 3 tool player. I have never seen Nick as a consistent game changer. He has his moments, but I have never had the great feeling when Nick comes up all will be good (or bad) either. As far as life after the playing days are done, I really think Nick will just hang them up. He has never asked for or wanted to be the team leader and I have never heard a young player state how much Nick has helped him. He has just been quiet, take care of business kind of guy and there is nothing wrong with that. I hope he remains an Oriole and has a supporting cast around him (pitching) so that he has some fun as a Bird.

• 3 months later...

Markakis has had below average HR/FB rates for his career, but now he's well below average this season. GB/FB rate is up. Meaning more ground balls. OBP is down. The arm isn't really there anymore and the speed is gone.

He's still not striking out and he's still a polished player in every facet. He's still a max effort guy who gives it all he's got, but what happened to his physical skillset? Where is the power, arm and speed? It just vanished for no reason.

I don't get it.

At the end of the day, and while I respect the OH oddity that is a BoltonBob post, about 95% of this doesn't matter and it will be about whether Nick can still produce at a high level for the club.

Right now, he absolutely can and he's a lock to have the best batting average and one of the highest OBP on the team every single year. His defense/speed is probably slipping a bit, but there's no more polished hitter on this ballclub. If he's still that guy at the end of his contract, I expect he'll be an Oriole for life.

How lifetime Orioles are treated, matters. You want Machado, Wieters, Davis and others to re-sign don't you? They will all be given offers by the Yankees greater than the O's can afford. They will be paying attention to how Markakis is treated (and Roberts as well). If they see Orioles who were once the toast of the town, treated like expendable dirt when they're having down periods, they will feel no loyalty to this club.

Markakis has had below average HR/FB rates for his career, but now he's well below average this season. GB/FB rate is up. Meaning more ground balls. OBP is down. The arm isn't really there anymore and the speed is gone.

He's still not striking out and he's still a polished player in every facet. He's still a max effort guy who gives it all he's got, but what happened to his physical skillset? Where is the power, arm and speed? It just vanished for no reason.

I don't get it.

And you never will.

I don't get it.

I don't really agree about Nick's arm. It's still very strong and deadly accurate. I realize his assists are down from a few years ago, but I rarely see him fail to make a strong, accurate throw, so for me this is a case of runners being smarter about when to test him.

Nick is noticeably slower, and I think that may just be a case of wear and tear.

Power is a bit of a mystery, as he showed decent power in 2012 when he wasn't on the DL.

I really appreciate Nick's straightforward comments about PED's.

How lifetime Orioles are treated, matters. You want Machado, Wieters, Davis and others to re-sign don't you? They will all be given offers by the Yankees greater than the O's can afford. They will be paying attention to how Markakis is treated (and Roberts as well). If they see Orioles who were once the toast of the town, treated like expendable dirt when they're having down periods, they will feel no loyalty to this club.

I think this is a really good point. But naturally productivity has to be a key factor too. Everyone realizes that. I think Markakis should retire as an Oriole. Roberts...I don't see that happening. He'll probably want to still play but you have to be able to put up numbers and he isn't. Markakis still is, maybe not numbers that befit someone making 17 million dollars a year, but I think in the end both parties are going to want to work something out...and they will. Markakis means something to the Orioles franchise. If the Orioles treat Markakis with respect I think other players coming up will take note.

Nick still has a great arm, that should not be much up for debate. Of all the O's, I think he's the one who makes a pitcher work the hardest to get him out, and that's a plus. He doesn't strike out much, and while he hits a lot of singles, he also seems to...hit a lot of singles, which beats a big whiff every time. Why he's not getting more doubles is beyond me--one would think that he'd get a bunch shooting balls down the baseline at a minimum--but at least he makes consistent contact with the ball, unlike some on this team.

His defense is still great, and he makes pitchers work, and he makes contact and gets a lot of singles, and has been a steadying influence on this team for years. In my book, that's a guy worth keeping a while longer.

Archived