More Discomfort in Bundy's Elbow.

tylerfrombelair

As with all trades' date=' maybe he should be dealt. It always depends on what you are getting back in return. To make someone who hasn't won 1 game in the ML "untouchable" is not wise.[/quote']

Agreed. I'm tired about talking about service time, limited innings, bringing them along slowly, etc. We have a core group of guys that took this team to the playoffs last year. If we can get a sure thing for an unproven prospect, i tiink the Orioles need to be open minded. We know theyre not goin to be able to do it through free agency. Our prospects are good, but if you take out Bundy, our farm team is close to last in the AL East.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is 20/20. If he turns into Strasburg, who also had injury, then the trades you mention would look pretty bad.

But he's not in Strasburgs league...Strasburg was a polished college pitcher, and a once in a lifetime prospect.

Man, people really do overreact to injuries. If he needs TJ surgery, it's not bad. He'll be back by next summer and he's still very young. This kind of thing happens all the time.

I'm asking...

Suppose worst case here and Bundy misses a year. Next year he is probably in the minors for a complete season. Maybe he makes the big league team the following year. Very possible scenario. Would we only have him under control for two more years? That puts the O's in a tight situation with regards to re-signing or extending.

Bundy signed a 5 yr/$6.225 million dollar contract. That's not really cost efficient. That is 1.245 million a year. He is making over the ML minimum. Not to mention he got a 4M singing bonus that is broken into the 5 years to be paid out annually.

Bundy didn't sign for over 10 million.

$6.25 million, 5 year MLB deal

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/2011-mlb-draft-signings-and-bonuses/

Hobgood signed for $2,422,000, and Rowell signed for 2.1 Million, Loewen he signed for 4 million.

I'm asking...

Suppose worst case here and Bundy misses a year. Next year he is probably in the minors for a complete season. Maybe he makes the big league team the following year. Very possible scenario. Would we only have him under control for two more years? That puts the O's in a tight situation with regards to re-signing or extending.

Him signing a ML deal does not effect how long he is under team control.

As with all trades' date=' maybe he should be dealt. It always depends on what you are getting back in return. To make someone who hasn't won 1 game in the ML "untouchable" is not wise.[/quote']

Yea. No one is untouchable. If someone wants to give up the equivalent of six years of cost controlled All Star performance I won't hang up immediately.

But if you're trading a consensus #1 prospect for a pretty good regular you lose.

Bundy didn't sign for over 10 million.

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/2011-mlb-draft-signings-and-bonuses/

Hobgood signed for $2,422,000, and Rowell signed for 2.1 Million, Loewen he signed for 4 million.

Not once did I say he did sign for over 10M. He made the argument about "Cost controlled players"

Someone who isn't making the ML minimum wouldn't be considered cost efficient. Not to mention he has yet to show he can be an effective ML pitcher. Which is why NO ONE should ever be untouchable. If the right deal is there, you pull the trigger.

Bundy signed a 5 yr/$6.225 million dollar contract. That's not really cost efficient. That is 1.245 million a year. He is making over the ML minimum. Not to mention he got a 4M singing bonus that is broken into the 5 years to be paid out annually.
Not once did I say he did sign for over 10M. He made the argument about "Cost controlled players"

Someone who isn't making the ML minimum wouldn't be considered cost efficient. Not to mention he has yet to show he can be an effective ML pitcher. Which is why NO ONE should ever be untouchable. If the right deal is there, you pull the trigger.

$6,225,000 (contract)+ $4,000,000 (signing bonus) = $10,225,000 worth of contract.

Of course he could be cost efficient. You are basically making the argument that you never take a high first rounder since you can't pay them pennies. That's absurd.

And yes, you pull the trigger if someone offers you an overwhelming load of talent on good contracts. Which is to say almost never.

Man, people really do overreact to injuries. If he needs TJ surgery, it's not bad. He'll be back by next summer and he's still very young. This kind of thing happens all the time.

Yeah, a few years ago when all we had to look forward to were prospects, this would have really bummed me out.

Now that the big league team is respectable, it doesn't bother me as much. If he needs TJ he'll get it and chances are he'll come back in a year or so as good as ever.

Just not worth the wailing and gnashing of teeth, IMO.

Archived