More Discomfort in Bundy's Elbow.

tylerfrombelair

From Keith Law's chat over at ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/ ... -keith-law

Dan (Miami)

As an O's fan, should I be furious about how the team handled Bundy?

Klaw

Furious might not be the word, but I think it's reasonable to be disappointed. It's not clear what they gained by clamping down on his workload, scrapping the cutter, and forcing him to get the ball to the plate more quickly, and it's possible one or more parts of that helped precipitate the injury. It seems like they operated based on some mistaken or unproven beliefs about pitcher health, which isn't the ideal way to handle your top arm.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems ridiculous to try to draw any coonection with the way the O's handled Bundy last year. It's far more likely he hurt his elbow doing his offseason stuff with his father. Or it could just be something that inevitably was going to happen. We'll never know, and neither does Keith Law.

Dan (Miami)

Klaw

Furious might not be the word, but I think it's reasonable to be disappointed. It's not clear what they gained by clamping down on his workload, scrapping the cutter, and forcing him to get the ball to the plate more quickly, and it's possible one or more parts of that helped precipitate the injury. It seems like they operated based on some mistaken or unproven beliefs about pitcher health, which isn't the ideal way to handle your top arm.

Keith Law is staggeringly stupid at times.

So because Bundy is possibly injured, it was foolish to take fairly normal steps in the development of pitchers to alleviate such risk.

I'm sure if Bundy had thrown 250 innings last year in the MiLs, and then got hurt, Law would have defended the workload, because there's nothing to be gained by keeping workloads low on teenage arms.

Oh, wait, he wouldn't of, and he'd have piled on regardless.

I don't think Law has an anti-Oriole bias, but he clearly has one with commonsense.

So because Bundy is possibly injured, it was foolish to take fairly normal steps in the development of pitchers to alleviate such risk.

I'm sure if Bundy had thrown 250 innings last year in the MiLs, and then got hurt, Law would have defended the workload, because there's nothing to be gained by keeping workloads low on teenage arms.

I don't think Law has an anti-Oriole bias, but he clearly has one with commonsense.

He is just miserable because there has never been any fruit of his efforts in anything other than being a baseball muckraker. Sad kinda. Sort of like Tony Lacava these days.

Dan (Miami)

Klaw

How exactly would Law have handled Bundy? Wait, wait... lemme guess... whatever way is opposite of what happened. If you're ultraconservative with a pitcher and make him work on his weaknesses, well, that's obviously incredibly stupid if he gets hurt. And if you go all Paul Richards on him and throw him like it's 1956, with complete games and throwing pitch limits to the wind... well, that's obviously incredibly stupid if he gets hurt.

So the lesson here is that letting young men become pitchers is incredibly stupid. We don't know of any sure-fire ways to keep them 100% healthy, so they should all become placekickers or maybe accountants.

How exactly would Law have handled Bundy? Wait, wait... lemme guess... whatever way is opposite of what happened. If you're ultraconservative with a pitcher and make him work on his weaknesses, well, that's obviously incredibly stupid if he gets hurt. And if you go all Paul Richards on him and throw him like it's 1956, with complete games and throwing pitch limits to the wind... well, that's obviously incredibly stupid if he gets hurt.

So the lesson here is that letting young men become pitchers is incredibly stupid. We don't know of any sure-fire ways to keep them 100% healthy, so they should all become placekickers or maybe accountants.

Not placekickers.

Ray-Finkle.jpg

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be pitchers. Don't let em throw fastballs or too many pitches. Make em by catchers and outfielders and such.

When bad stuff happens no one is more ready to fill the Twitterverse with exactly what the idiots did wrong than Keith Law.

Is anyone else of the belief that it was bound to happen sooner or later? A guy with a sleight frame like that who works out as hard as he does and throws as hard as he does...unless your name is Nolan Ryan and you have a gift from God when it comes to durability...it has to happen.

Maybe Bundy just needs a couple advil.

[video=youtube_share;_40LPqEKOZY]

Is anyone else of the belief that it was bound to happen sooner or later? A guy with a sleight frame like that who works out as hard as he does and throws as hard as he does...unless your name is Nolan Ryan and you have a gift from God when it comes to durability...it has to happen.

Weren't we led to believe that Bundy had some of those genes anyway? I swear I've heard more "built like a tank" references to Bundy than any pitcher in a long time.

Archived