More Discomfort in Bundy's Elbow.

tylerfrombelair

If they gotta replace the ligament, better to get it done when you're 20, rather than 30.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

Yes indeed. Washington just drafted a kid who they knew was going under the knife right away. Still, I feel sick. We have the #1 prospect in the game and...uh oh

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they gotta replace the ligament, better to get it done when you're 20, rather than 30.

Better to get it done while you are not accruing service time in the majors.

If the O's had kept Bundy at the big league camp for another day or two in ST and he had been injured then his DL time would count as ML service time.

No way in hell do you mention Bundy in the same breath of Mike Morse.

Upton or Stanton? Sure, but Morse? Hell no.

Okay well answer this simple question:

Who was the last high school pitcher that the Orioles drafted and developed into an even average ML starter???

That is why, historically trading an O's prospect for just about any ML regular might have merit.

Who was the last high school pitcher that the Orioles drafted and developed into an even average ML starter???

That is why, historically trading an O's prospect for just about any ML regular might have merit.

Simple question:

Who was the last high school pitcher the Os drafted that was the consensus #1 pitching prospect in baseball after his first full year in professional ball?

That's like saying the Orioles are always at a disadvantage against the Yankees since they have an all-time record of 858-1259 against them. You realize this is a whole different front office than when other HS pitchers were drafted, right?

Just nonsense.

Yeah, a few years ago when all we had to look forward to were prospects, this would have really bummed me out.

Now that the big league team is respectable, it doesn't bother me as much. If he needs TJ he'll get it and chances are he'll come back in a year or so as good as ever.

Just not worth the wailing and gnashing of teeth, IMO.

If the O's had kept Bundy at the big league camp for another day or two in ST and he had been injured then his DL time would count as ML service time.

Completely agree with all of these. If it isn't as bad as needing TJ, then great. If he needs it, then it certainly isn't a back breaker and is better to have it now rather than as a rookie.

Except that there are almost no commonalities between the Orioles drafting and development team from 10 or 20 years ago and today. It's almost like one of those postseason stats that show it'll be hard for Team X to win the Series in 2013 since they lost the Series the last three times they were in, in 1955, 1984, and 1990. They're not related at all.

Simple question:

Who was the last high school pitcher the Os drafted that was the consensus #1 pitching prospect in baseball after his first full year in professional ball?

I have to think the answer is never, although I thought maybe Palmer could have been if a) he didn't predate the draft, and b) didn't predate modern prospect lists. But then I saw that his professional debut involved walking 130 A ball hitters in 129 innings, so... no.

Has Palmer ever explained how he went from Brad Pennington's control in the low minors to decent MLB pitcher in one year at 19? If he pitched like that in 2012 he'd have started 2013 in Frederick and probably wouldn't have gotten an invite to MLB spring training.

That wouldn't have affected anything. Time spent on the DL does not count towards service time. It's calculated on a pro-rata portion of the season, you don't get a whole year just for being on for part of it. That's why some people are around for seemingly forever without FA rights.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Dylan Bundy will see Dr Wilckens here tomorrow. Andrews isn't till next Monday. Buck clarified</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">April 24, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Stranger and stranger ....

That wouldn't have affected anything. Time spent on the DL does not count towards service time. It's calculated on a pro-rata portion of the season, you don't get a whole year just for being on for part of it. That's why some people are around for seemingly forever without FA rights.

Time on the DL does count towards service time. That's why he was optioned out about two weeks before Gausman.

If you are on a Major League active roster at the time of the injury, then you need to be placed on the Major League DL and the time there certainly does count towards service time.

Archived