Who you Gonna Trade?

weams

SMH....no I wont find it cause the fact is a goofy idea. Trying to be nice here but teams who have one of the top 3 or 4 best young players in the game don't trade those guys for a reason. Cause its stupid. Your talking about a guy who is cost controlled, team controlled and all star caliber.

Rather than throwing out silly ideas and insulting us for calling you on it give us a specific example of a trade that would work and make us better this year and moving forward.

Read the thread. I mentioned some already.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the idea is make trades NOW that help the team for the present, then yeah, very few trades to make. The only way to do that is to trade prospects and that means Schoop, Gausman, Rodriguez, Delmonico, and Bundy. The only players you could trade right now and not hurt the team too much, IMO, are Markakis, Strop, Patton or Matusz. You could include Chen, Gonzalez, or Tillman in a deal if it meant getting a #1 back.

Yep. That's it. So we don't need to think about this much until it is time to fold or for the stretch run.

SMH....no I wont find it cause the fact is a goofy idea. Trying to be nice here but teams who have one of the top 3 or 4 best young players in the game don't trade those guys for a reason. Cause its stupid. Your talking about a guy who is cost controlled, team controlled and all star caliber.

Rather than throwing out silly ideas and insulting us for calling you on it give us a specific example of a trade that would work and make us better this year and moving forward.

I haven't insulted anyone in this thread either, Chief. You are the one doing the insulting. Get off your high-horse. If the return justified trading Manny, you do it. Go ahead and say that in any universe, nobody would pay what it would take, but again, that's like your opinion, man.

Read the thread. I mentioned some already.

Ok but explain to me why the Marlins would trade a potential #1 AND Stanton for Machado?

This is real baseball here not rotisserie league were you make up trades

I got a better idea lets trade Machado to the Nats for Gio Gonzales and Bryce Harper

I haven't insulted anyone in this thread either, Chief. You are the one doing the insulting. Get off your high-horse. If the return justified trading Manny, you do it. Go ahead and say that in any universe, nobody would pay what it would take, but again, that's like your opinion, man.

You were the one who said it had been done before...go back and read it. I simply asked when to which you got all snitty about and said do your own research. Its all good. Just disagree. Machado is basically an untradeable asset especially for a team that is lacking in position prospects like the O's. We can just agree to disagree sorry if I took it the wrong way.

Ok but explain to me why the Marlins would trade a potential #1 AND Stanton for Machado?

This is real baseball here not rotisserie league were you make up trades

I got a better idea lets trade Machado to the Nats for Gio Gonzales and Bryce Harper

Stanton is going to be really expensive, Marlins like paying players don't they? Oh, and he really, really doesn't want to be there. Match made in Heaven for the Marlins right? Your example is ridiculous, this is Loria we're talking about here, he's going to trade Stanton, you would clearly need to add to the deal. Anyway, I'm done with this conversation, have fun, Chief.

Depending on the return, you'd have to be completely stupid not to trade him. No player should be untouchable, none, never.

I don't know that there's precedent in all of baseball history for trading a 20-year-old superstar who's already established himself and is playing at a high level. Guys like Kaline and Musial and Mantle and Cobb... they stayed with their teams forever. Actually, Claudell Washington looks like the only player in MLB history to have 5+ rWAR through age 20 who was traded shortly thereafter, and that was after a pretty serious decline at 21.

I suppose you could argue that you'd get a king's ransom for him, but my guess is that you'd be very hard pressed to get (5 years x 5 wins) out of the return, and once you throw in salary there's no way. You'd pretty much have to get something like Stanton + several pieces to really have a good shot at winning the trade.

I can't think of a scenario where I'd trade Manny that the other team would agree to. You build dynasties on 5+ win players making league minimum.

Sure, anything can happen. Even in 140+ years of MLB history there are still firsts. And if Manny was traded while he's this young and playing anything like this well it would be a MLB first.

Stanton is going to be really expensive, Marlins like paying players don't they? Oh, and he really, really doesn't want to be there. Match made in Heaven for the Marlins right? Your example is ridiculous, this is Loria we're talking about here, he's going to trade Stanton, you would clearly need to add to the deal. Anyway, I'm done with this conversation, have fun, Chief.

I could see him trading Stanton and some filler for Manny but your not getting their top pitching prospect also. Its a moot point, Manny is the one guy on this team that is not going anywhere. I would bet my house on that.

I don't know that there's precedent in all of baseball history for trading a 20-year-old superstar who's already established himself and is playing at a high level. Guys like Kaline and Musial and Mantle and Cobb... they stayed with their teams forever. Actually, Claudell Washington looks like the only player in MLB history to have 5+ rWAR through age 20 who was traded shortly thereafter, and that was after a pretty serious decline at 21.

I suppose you could argue that you'd get a king's ransom for him, but my guess is that you'd be very hard pressed to get (5 years x 5 wins) out of the return, and once you throw in salary there's no way. You'd pretty much have to get something like Stanton + several pieces to really have a good shot at winning the trade.

I can't think of a scenario where I'd trade Manny that the other team would agree to. You build dynasties on 5+ win players making league minimum.

Exactly. Well said.

Its highly unlikely you could anywhere near a return to justify moving him.

I could see him trading Stanton and some filler for Manny but your not getting their top pitching prospect also. Its a moot point, Manny is the one guy on this team that is not going anywhere. I would bet my house on that.

If the return is there in theory then you do it. But you're right, it isn't going to happen in practice and I don't think it should. Because I think he's Ripken, and I think the FO does too.

Every year on this board, poster never want to make a trade for an established star player because they don't want to get rid of our "top" prospects. These are guys like Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, etc, who coul dhave fetched us something great and now they are stuck between AAA/MLB and Matusz is a LH reliever.

At some point, we can't just keep saying "Ah, we will wait until next year" or "Let's roll with what we have" We need an established ace, REALLY bad. Someone that can anchor our rotation and eat innings every start.

Not saying we can get Felix, but as an example, Hernandez gave up 4 runs in the first inning the other day, and was still able to go 6 strong giving up 5 ER and 8 K's. We need a starter who can take the ball every fifth day, and give us a QS, and if he doen't give a QS at least go 5-6 innings....

It's time that we trade from our farm system. We need too. No more of this "roll with what we have." Let's go get someone

20 year old established superstar may be a bit premature. I haven't run him through 10 seasons of OOTP so I can't call him a superstar just yet. The sky is the limit for Manny, he's not there yet. You of all people are quick to point out how many players busted after looking like they were going to the Hall in their first year.

Archived