Koji trade better than Bedard trade?

Grt 2BA FL Gator

I'm in the tank for Davis, and Hunter has really come around as a reliever. However, I'm not ready to go that far. Adam Jones is the centerpiece, but Tillman is the x-factor. He was solid as a rock last season and has been our most consistent starter so far this season. I always put a premium on starting pitching, and if he can be a #3-#4 major league starter, maybe even a #2 on a good day, coupled with Jones in center, I'll always like the output of that trade more. That said, I'm even happier with all four producing.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, as other posters have pointed out, the Rangers were a team that was already loaded, so it's not like we rooked them out of contention with the trade in question. They went to back-to-back World Series in 2010-2011, they won 93 games last year, and they are off to a scorching start this year. They have been (and continue to be) on very solid ground, with or without Chris Davis and Tommy Hunter.

We, on the other hand, were a bad team in the first place when we acquired Hunter and Davis (we were young, talented, and on the verge of a breakout, but we were nonetheless bad in the W-L column.) It just so happens that we needed Davis and Hunter a lot more than the Rangers needed them, so the evaluation of the trade can tend to be skewed and/or misconceived. So, they got what they wanted (Uehara for their bullpen for a year and-a-quarter), we got what we wanted (an offensively explosive Chris Davis, and a hard-throwing, strike-throwing Tommy Hunter, who has finally come into his own as a relief pitcher), and everybody was/is happy.

Davis ~= Jones (I guess)

Hunter ~= Sherrill

Tillman

Hunter might be pitching well now as a short reliever, but lets not forget his God awfulness as a starter. In my opinion his contributions more comparable to what George Sherrill gave us. Lots of crap followed by a streak of bullpen brilliance.

At the time, I preferred the Padres return for Mike Adams of Joe Wieland and Robbie Erlin. (Both solid pitching prospects who pitched well in AA/AAA - Wieland went down for TJ surgery soon after the trade and is still rehabbing. Erlin is in the Pads' bullpen right now; probable starter long-term.)

But that was predicated on the thought that the O's were still 3 years away from contending. Also didn't see Davis becoming this good.

I think there's a lesson here: when possible, make trades with teams that have good/deep farm systems and you'll probably get a better return. So if considering trading JJ Hardy, for example, avoid the Tigers and target the Cardinals.

And yet they made the WS in back to back years.

And have the best record in the American League this year. It was a great trade for us and MacPhail was certainly good at the art of trading, but Texas has done just fine.

And have the best record in the American League this year. It was a great trade for us and MacPhail was certainly good at the art of trading, but Texas has done just fine.

Yeah, just because it was a great trade for us doesn't mean Texas didn't get what they wanted out of it too.

And that's what happens when you have depth in your organization. I think this is what DD is trying to build here.

Archived