The Back End of the BP Is Stronger

Il BuonO

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can refresh this thread whenever the bullpen has a good day, but the fact is, the back end of the bullpen blew five saves in August, and it wasn't just JJ.

I haven't done it very often, but I have also refreshed this thread when they have had days like this:

Bad game for the bullpen tonight.

The only saving grace was that everybody threw strikes (including Strop), and we made them earn the win. Not including the intentional walk, the strikes-to-balls ratio was 35 strikes to 10 balls.

ORIOLES BULLPEN O (vs. BLUE JAYS, 6/21)

(Tommy Hunter, Darren O'Day, Brian Matusz, Pedro Strop)

IP:. 2.67 O(LOSS) .[Matusz]

H:o 5

R:O 3

BB: 1 *

SO: 2

Pitches: 49 (35 Strikes, 14 Balls) **

* The walk was intentional.

** 45 (35 Strikes, 10 Balls) .[Minus the Intentional Walk]

OO

And this:

OO

ORIOLES BULLPEN O (vs. YANKEES, 7/05)

(Troy Patton, Darren O'Day, Jimmy Johnson)

IP:. 2.33 O(LOSS) .[Johnson]

H:o 3

R:O 2

ER:)1

BB: 2 *

SO: 2

Pitches: 47 (28 Strikes, 19 Balls) ** 43 (28 Strikes, 15 Balls)

* 1 of the Walks was Intentional

** Minus the Intentional Walk

My prior post sounded like I was criticizing you. Not what I meant to do. I just find the thread title (from another poster, back in June) doesn't really fit what the back of the bullpen has done since the thread was started. The pen has been very inconsistent.

My prior post sounded like I was criticizing you. Not what I meant to do. I just find the thread title (from another poster, back in June) doesn't really fit what the back of the bullpen has done since the thread was started. The pen has been very inconsistent.

Oh, OK.

I'll try to keep more updates of both the good outings and the bad outings, so that there is a better perspective of how it (the back end of the bullpen) is actually doing.

I'll agree with that, but it was started with the idea that we would have a stronger back end of the the BP no matter what if you substituted Hunter for Strop. That was my main point.

I'll agree with that, but it was started with the idea that we would have a stronger back end of the the BP no matter what if you substituted Hunter for Strop. That was my main point.

It seemed reasonable at the time. It just hasn't panned out that well.

Still wish we had this guy. I love him smacking Pedroia with the glove and Victorino's look is PRICELESS! I love Koji!!

http://wapc.mlb.com/cutfour/2013/05/23/48368336/koji-uehara-startles-shane-victorino-with-high-five-to-the-shoulder

I'm really glad we have Chris Davis and Tommy Hunter. I would have loved to have resigned him this offseason. But it did end up being a two year 10 million dollar deal to a 38 year old reliever.

It seemed reasonable at the time. It just hasn't panned out that well.

I would say that Hunter has been a huge improvement over what Strop was giving us at the start of the year. His numbers this year are better to what Strop gave us last year in WHIP (0.977), comparable in ERA+ (154 to Strop's 172), and he's much better in SO to BB ratio. Even in HR allowed Tommy is now under 1 per 9 innings which was supposed to be his big weakness.

The title of the thread may have been off for the way the BP has performed but it isn't because of Hunter.

I'm really glad we have Chris Davis and Tommy Hunter. I would have loved to have resigned him this offseason. But it did end up being a two year 10 million dollar deal to a 38 year old reliever.

Me too. I was too also referring to signing him as free agent. The first year of that deal is about done and he has, of course, been shut down for Boston. Worth every penny to Boston.

I would say that Hunter has been a huge improvement over what Strop was giving us at the start of the year. His numbers this year are better to what Strop gave us last year in WHIP (0.977), comparable in ERA+ (154 to Strop's 172), and he's much better in SO to BB ratio. Even in HR allowed Tommy is now under 1 per 9 innings which was supposed to be his big weakness.

The title of the thread may have been off for the way the BP has performed but it isn't because of Hunter.

Right, I wasn't really focusing on Hunter, just the overall performance of the back part of our bullpen.

(AUGUST 21st)

I'm not sure what/who exactly constitutes the "back end" of our bullpen at this point, but the relief pitchers that threw tonight did well.

2 DAYS LATER (AUGUST 23rd)

Again ...... I'm still not sure what/who exactly constitutes the "back end" of our bullpen currently, but the relief pitchers once again did very well tonight.

8 DAYS LATER (AUGUST 29th)

Still winging it with regard to the definition of the back end of the bullpen, but the guys that were sent to the mound today did well.

15 DAYS LATER (TODAY)

OK. I think that the pitchers that were originally considered to be "the back end of the bullpen" may have FINALLY reasserted themselves as being just that again.

At least Jimmy Johnson and Tommy Hunter have clearly been pitching well as of late, anyway.

ORIOLES BULLPEN O (vs. WHITE SOX, 9/05)

(Tommy Hunter, Jimmy Johnson)

IP:. 2 O(SAVE) O[Johnson]

H:o 1

R:O 0

BB: 0

SO: 3

Pitches: 38 (30 Strikes, 8 Balls)

• 2 weeks later...

Did we ever need it in this game !!!

4 innings. 0 runs. 1 hit. 0 walks. 4 strikeouts.

ORIOLES BULLPEN O (vs. RED SOX, 9/17)

(T.J. McFarland, Kevin Gausman, Brian Matusz, Tommy Hunter, Jimmy Johnson)

IP:. 4 O(WIN) O[Hunter] O(SAVE) O[Johnson]

H:o 1

R:O 0

BB: 0

SO: 4

Pitches: 59 (39 Strikes, 20 Balls)

Archived