The Back End of the BP Is Stronger

Il BuonO

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ORIOLES BULLPEN O (vs. TIGERS, 6/18)

(Darren O'Day, Brian Matusz, Tommy Hunter, Jimmy Johnson)

IP:. 3.67 O(SAVE) .[Johnson] *

H:o 4

R:O 1

BB: 1

SO: 3

Pitches: 44 (33 Strikes, 11 Balls)

* The bullpen (O'Day) entered the game with a runner on 1st base and one out.

ORIOLES BULLPEN O (vs. TIGERS, 6/18)

(Darren O'Day, Brian Matusz, Tommy Hunter, Jimmy Johnson)

IP:. 3.67 O(SAVE) .[Johnson] *

H:o 4

BB: 1

SO: 3

Pitches: 44 (33 Strikes, 11 Balls)

It makes me nervous to think about Matusz in my original group, but I can't really complain when he comes in and induces Fielder to pop up on one pitch. O'Day was hit around a little tonight and hopefully that means he is nails for the next month. Tommy's two strike CB was a thing of beauty. Johnson, well, I don't like he walked a guy and eventually it led to the tying run coming to the plate in the form of....gulp....MG, but the sinker worked just fine for the inning ending DP.

Bad game for the bullpen tonight.

The only saving grace was that everybody threw strikes (including Strop), and we made them earn the win. Not including the intentional walk, the strikes-to-balls ratio was 35 strikes to 10 balls.

ORIOLES BULLPEN O (vs. BLUE JAYS, 6/21)

(Tommy Hunter, Darren O'Day, Brian Matusz, Pedro Strop)

IP:. 2.67 O(LOSS) .[Matusz]

H:o 5

R:O 3

BB: 1 *

SO: 2

Pitches: 49 (35 Strikes, 14 Balls) **

* The walk was intentional.

** 45 (35 Strikes, 10 Balls) .[Minus the Intentional Walk]

My thread title still applies, Strop was NOT part of my back end of the BP. Neither is Matusz. Tommy has been better, but I'm still good with O'Day, Tommy, and JJ. Strop in last nights game? Johnson could have been used in that spot yesterday and all would have been well. Or not, but it would have been the right choice after the people we had already used.

I also question the order in which they were used. Outside if Matusz, who was used initially for matchups, Hunter came in the 7th instead of the 8th and O'Day after him. Now, you might say this doesn't matter but then why does Johnson come in for the save? And he did come in in tie games last year because I remember having that discussion. So, then why wasn't it done last night?

Honestly, the order I could care less about. I'm on record as saying Johnson should be in during high leverage situations no matter what inning it is if Buck thinks he is our best reliever. I don't but he certainly was the better option than Pedey Deer in the Headlights Strop.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, O'Day was screwed badly by the umpire on Bautista's plate appearance.

ORIOLES BULLPEN O (vs. BLUE JAYS, 6/22)

(Darren O'Day)

IP:. 0.67 *

H:o 1

BB: 0

SO: 0

Pitches: 12 (9 Strikes, 3 Balls)

In my rat's ass of an opinion, O'Day was screwed badly by the umpire on Bautista's plate appearance.

ORIOLES BULLPEN O (vs. BLUE JAYS, 6/22)

(Darren O'Day)

IP:. 0.67 *

H:o 1

BB: 0

SO: 0

Pitches: 12 (9 Strikes, 3 Balls)

He was screwed but he still can't leave that pitch middle-in to a guy like Bautista.

He was screwed but he still can't leave that pitch middle-in to a guy like Bautista.

If the umpire isn't calling pitches that are strikes strikes, I don't see how O'Day (or pitcher for that matter) has much of a choice as to where to throw the ball. If the pitcher is painted into a corner by the umpire's incompetence, then you're asking him to place the ball in PRECISE locations every time ....... so he's likely going to either walk batters, or give them good pitches to hit.

Perhaps Sandy Koufax and Walter Johnson could dominate opponents in spite of how good or bad the home plate umpire is, but not many others.

If the umpire isn't calling pitches that are strikes strikes, I don't see how O'Day (or pitcher for that matter) has much of a choice as to where to throw the ball. If the pitcher is painted into a corner by the umpire's incompetence, then you're asking him to place the ball in PRECISE locations every time ....... so he's likely going to either walk batters, or give them good pitches to hit.

Perhaps Sandy Koufax and Walter Johnson could dominate opponents in spite of how good or bad the home plate umpire is, but not many others.

What is the avatar pic, just curious?

Im assuming its not what it looks like . . . . . .:D

Very good job by Balmy Tommy, Jimmy, and Brian tonight.

O'Day had a bad game, but we had already blown the lead by the time that they (the bullpen) got there, anyway. Besides, like Tommy Hunter, O'Day having a bad game once in a while is far outweighed by his effectiveness in almost all of the other games that he pitches.

Very good job by Balmy Tommy, Jimmy, and Brian tonight.

O'Day had a bad game, but we had already blown the lead by the time that they (the bullpen) got there, anyway. Besides, like Tommy Hunter, O'Day having a bad game once in a while is far outweighed by his effectiveness in almost all of the other games that he pitches.

Exactly. Not sure I like your reference to TH though. Sounds almost derogatory and reminds me of the poll or Sweaty Freddy whom I'd like to forget. Top Gun Tommy is much more his speed this year. I've even tried on Hold Em Hunter, which seems apropos.

Exactly. Not sure I like your reference to TH though. Sounds almost derogatory and reminds me of the poll or Sweaty Freddy whom I'd like to forget. Top Gun Tommy is much more his speed this year. I've even tried on Hold Em Hunter, which seems apropos.

It's not derogatory at all.

Balmy Tommy, as in nice, balmy weather, and good times.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/balmy

I think that you may be a little oversensitive because of the names and degrading inferences that have been made toward Hunter and Garcia.

Archived