ESPN: "O's must trade for a starter"

AlbionHero

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is zero indication that Angelos will spend ANY money above current payroll.

Angelos will spend if the opportunity is right. I don't hate the man like everyone else. Just look at 4 million for Vlad and a few million for Lee.

The man will spend, but he doesn't want to make more stupid decisions.

Angelos will spend if the opportunity is right. I don't hate the man like everyone else. Just look at 4 million for Vlad and a few million for Lee.

Well, I don't know about Lee and I don't think anyone knows what the real constraints with payroll are, but I recall reading reports that he was making the team "pay him back" for Vlad. I'd hate for DD to be in a position to be paying him back for Lee.

Angelos will spend if the opportunity is right. I don't hate the man like everyone else. Just look at $ 4 million for Vlad, and a few million for Lee.

Actually, he gave $ 7.6 Million for Validmir Guerrero, and $ 7.25 Million for Derrek Lee.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/guerrvl01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/leede02.shtml

I seriously doubt that we are going to get anything resembling a "dominate starter" in a trade deadline deal. And if by chance one is available, its doubtful he will be worth the cost, or that DD would be willing to pay it. I believe that we have four solid starters in Tillman, Gonzalez, Chen and Hammel. That's more than a lot of teams can say. And from among Zack Britton, Steve Johnson, T.J. McFarland, and maybe Wada and Gausman, I'm sure we have at least a serviceable #5 starter and a couple long relief guys.

I can see us making a trade for BP help. Like everyone else I'm concerned about Strop. he has totally lost his ability to pitch effectively. These wildness bouts were his MO before coming to Baltimore. He somehow managed to keep it together all last year. but not this year and he is now a huge liability. Barring a miraculous recovery, I think he has to go. Right now he is unreliable, and we can't go one short in the BP the rest of the season.

I seriously doubt that we are going to get anything resembling a "dominate starter" in a trade deadline deal. And if by chance one is available, its doubtful he will be worth the cost, or that DD would be willing to pay it. I believe that we have four solid starters in Tillman, Gonzalez, Chen and Hammel. That's more than a lot of teams can say. And from among Zack Britton, Steve Johnson, T.J. McFarland, and maybe Wada and Gausman, I'm sure we have at least a serviceable #5 starter and a couple long relief guys.

I can see us making a trade for BP help. Like everyone else I'm concerned about Strop. he has totally lost his ability to pitch effectively. These wildness bouts were his MO before coming to Baltimore. He somehow managed to keep it together all last year. but not this year and he is now a huge liability. Barring a miraculous recovery, I think he has to go. Right now he is unreliable, and we can't go one short in the BP the rest of the season.

I would love for them to get Garza. My supervisor is a Cubs fan. I feel his pain because we all know how it feels to be in the cellar. I think deep down he wants to O's to win. I always root for the Cubs in the National League.

Would you do Matuz and Arrieta for Bud Norris with Britton taking over Matuz's spot in the BP?

Nope. Screw Bud Norris he will get rocked in the AL EAST. I would rather just give Matusz another shot at starting. We all know he can do it.

Not to be picky, but Strop kept it together for about 4.5 months last year. At the end of August and September he fell apart.

Nope. Screw Bud Norris he will get rocked in the AL EAST. I would rather just give Matusz another shot at starting. We all know he can do it.

Well, I was all for giving Matusz a shot in ST and I'm not gonna say that bridge has passed, but how can you be watching Matusz and think he is any sort of option to start right now. RHB's hit him hard and I doubt he could get through 3 innings.

Archived