Roberts Trade News Thread

McLovin

Assuming Angelos is the reason this deal didn't go through, then I'm really starting to thik Roberts isn't go anywhere. Can you imagine what the Cubs Fo must be thinking if this is the case? They think a deal is finally done and then out of nowhere this imbecile nixes it. If they truly asked for Hill or Pie after a deal was all but done without either of those guys, then Hendry must be furious. Somethings needs to be understood, the Cubs don't NEED Brian Roberts, they just really want him. Most Cubs fans already thought that a package of Gallagher/Marshall/Cedeno was too much to give up for a player that plays at a position where we already have above average production. You'd think the leadoff issue would be a factor, but Lou and Hendry are in love with Soriano at the leadoff spot for some reason. We're now in the middle of January, so Hendry doesn't really have time to be jerked around. I wouldn't be at all surprise if Hendry cuts off talks soon and focuses on areas that actually need upgrading.

Why does it really matter what Cubs fans thought of the deal. Like that matters to Hendry or AM. To be perfectly Honest I didn't like the deal all that much. Cedeno offensively doesn't look like much of a offensive upgrade over LH. He looks to me to be a marginal starter or a solid utility player. I'm not saying he's not better than L Hernandez but he looks like another light hitting SS. While Gallagher did look to be the main component of this deal & depending on who's SR you read he is a number 2-4 starter. The Marshall piece was IMO mind boggling. Too much for a ALL Star 2B ... Marginal SS, 5th starter, & Gallagher who has potential ...but certainly no sure thing. I wasn't sold on the deal. While I pray Angelos didn't get involved & McPhail just had a change of heart, I really didn't like the deal & probably can find some others here that didn't like the Orioles return.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why does it really matter what Cubs fans thought of the deal. Like that matters to Hendry or AM. To be perfectly Honest I didn't like the deal all that much. Cedeno offensively doesn't look like much of a offensive upgrade over LH. He looks to me to be a marginal starter or a solid utility player. I'm not saying he's not better than L Hernandez but he looks like another light hitting SS. While Gallagher did look to be the main component of this deal & depending on who's SR you read he is a number 2-4 starter. The Marshall piece was IMO mind boggling. Too much for a ALL Star 2B ... Marginal SS, 5th starter, & Gallagher who has potential ...but certainly no sure thing. I wasn't sold on the deal. While I pray Angelos didn't get involved & McPhail just had a change of heart, I really didn't like the deal & probably can find some others here that didn't like the Orioles return.

Whether you'd like to admit it or not, the Mitchell Report and Roberts' admission has hurt his value. How much is the question. Gallagher/Cedeno/Marshall is more than a fair offer in my opinion. Even if the O's don't want Marshall, they could flip him to an NL team.

Whether you'd like to admit it or not, the Mitchell Report and Roberts' admission has hurt his value. How much is the question. Gallagher/Cedeno/Marshall is more than a fair offer in my opinion. Even if the O's don't want Marshall, they could flip him to an NL team.

Quite a fair offer even before the Roberts' inclusion on the Mitchell Report. While I really like Roberts, he's been up and down. 2004 he wasn't good. 2005 was amazing. 2006 he was below average. Last year he was pretty good. Which Roberts is he? This will hurt his overall value.

Why Marshall/Gallagher/Cedeno isnt good enough for Angelos is beyond me. Hell as a Cubs fan I'd say it's almost too much. That's a #3 starter, a 4/5 starter and a potential starting SS/2b. Cedeno was very young when he got a shot in the majors, too young if you ask me. He's finally turned a corner and I think, could be the Cubs starting SS by June because Theriot is jut flat out trash.

Funny. I have been in Chicago the past two days on work, and during my drive time have been listening to espn 1000 here. The talk show hosts here seem to really want Roberts. The callers want to get deal done. And no one seems the least bit concerned with giving up Gallagher, Cedeno or Marshal.

Of the comments I have heard, they sound like Gallagher is the only piece they would even think twice about trading. But some of my favorite quotes regarding the others:

On Cedeno:

-- I would drive him to O'Hare myself

-- We know what he can do - and what he can't do

On Marshall:

-- He's a guy who probably wasn't even going the rotation this year, and if he does, he will probably be a number five.

On the trade in general

-- Why have the Cubs not pulled the trigger on this, just get it done.

-- Just get Roberts in here already

-- Trade these chumps, already

And this is from the guys who get paid to watchand talk about Chicago sports.

Though ESPN has been reporting all day that two other teams are now invovled...

Maybe that is why a deal has not been done. Because it is a bad deal for the O's and they know it.

Funny. I have been in Chicago the past two days on work, and during my drive time have been listening to espn 1000 here. The talk show hosts here seem to really want Roberts. The callers want to get deal done. And no one seems the least bit concerned with giving up Gallagher, Cedeno or Marshal.

Of the comments I have heard, they sound like Gallagher is the only piece they would even think twice about trading. But some of my favorite quotes regarding the others:

On Cedeno:

-- I would drive him to O'Hare myself

-- We know what he can do - and what he can't do

On Marshall:

-- He's a guy who probably wasn't even going the rotation this year, and if he does, he will probably be a number five.

On the trade in general

-- Why have the Cubs not pulled the trigger on this, just get it done.

-- Just get Roberts in here already

-- Trade these chumps, already

And this is from the guys who get paid to watchand talk about Chicago sports.

Though ESPN has been reporting all day that two other teams are now invovled...

Maybe that is why a deal has not been done. Because it is a bad deal for the O's and they know it.

Very interesting to see Cubs fans POV and reactions to the trade.

More importantly...Maybe the "Roberts trade" rumors actually were a good thing and sent a wake up call to other teams. If two other teams are involved for Roberts now, that's definitely a plus with a potential bidding war.

First of all, pretty much all the talk show hosts in Chicago are idiots. I know a ton of Cubs fans, both intelligent and unintelligent when it comes to baseball. The opinion among the intelligent ones is overwhelming. If we didn't have a good second basemen already, it would be different. Even if people don't like Cedeno and Marshall, they are still resources with value. Wi how far are farm system already is, doesn't it make sense to use the limted resources we have to obtain players that play position that we actually, you know, need to upgrade at? Shortstop, center field, and the rotation all need upgrading much more than second base. So we want to waste 3 decent trading chips for a guy who put up almost identical numbers as derosa last year, just with more speed? I understand Roberts is a great player and better than Roberts, but it seems pretty silly to me to waste pieces on him. We were last in offensive production from the SS position in the NL last year, with subpar defense as well. Wouldn't it make sense to upgrade that position? No, instead Hendry wants to stockpile 2B's and put one of our best clutch hitters on the bench. If we don't get another SP this offseason, Marshall could very well be needed. Dempster in the rotation sounds like a nightmare, Lou already hates Marquis and if he performs like he did in the second half last season, he'll be out of the rotation too. We don't really have any idea of what Hart can do as a starter. Cedeno is also our only other realistic option at short right now. What happens when June rolls around and our GM finally realizes that Theriot is inept?

First of all, pretty much all the talk show hosts in Chicago are idiots. I know a ton of Cubs fans, both intelligent and unintelligent when it comes to baseball. The opinion among the intelligent ones is overwhelming. If we didn't have a good second basemen already, it would be different. Even if people don't like Cedeno and Marshall, they are still resources with value. Wi how far are farm system already is, doesn't it make sense to use the limted resources we have to obtain players that play position that we actually, you know, need to upgrade at? Shortstop, center field, and the rotation all need upgrading much more than second base. So we want to waste 3 decent trading chips for a guy who put up almost identical numbers as derosa last year, just with more speed? I understand Roberts is a great player and better than Roberts, but it seems pretty silly to me to waste pieces on him. We were last in offensive production from the SS position in the NL last year, with subpar defense as well. Wouldn't it make sense to upgrade that position? No, instead Hendry wants to stockpile 2B's and put one of our best clutch hitters on the bench. If we don't get another SP this offseason, Marshall could very well be needed. Dempster in the rotation sounds like a nightmare, Lou already hates Marquis and if he performs like he did in the second half last season, he'll be out of the rotation too. We don't really have any idea of what Hart can do as a starter. Cedeno is also our only other realistic option at short right now. What happens when June rolls around and our GM finally realizes that Theriot is inept?

You're way too kind.

The uninformed, nonsensical cliched crap that the bigname radio hosts in Chicago spew is nothing short of astonishing. Any well informed and knowledgeable local sports fan should be downright ashamed and repulsed by the notion that some visitor is drawing conclusions about the city's collective fanbase after listening to these turkeys ramble on with their drivel.

And the Trib and Sun-Times columnists are no better.

The whole situation is just laughably pathetic. With few exceptions, it's unlistenable/unreadable.

Dozens of OH posters a thousand miles away would/could offer a more informed and provocative opinion on THE CUBS, and bring more to the table than the clowns employed as Chicago's media "personalities."

You're way too kind.

The uninformed, nonsensical cliched crap that the bigname radio hosts in Chicago spew is nothing short of astonishing. Any well informed and knowledgeable local sports fan should be downright ashamed and repulsed by the notion that some visitor is drawing conclusions about the city's collective fanbase after listening to these turkeys ramble on with their drivel.

And the Trib and Sun-Times columnists are no better.

The whole situation is just laughably pathetic. With few exceptions, it's unlistenable/unreadable.

Dozens of OH posters a thousand miles away would/could offer a more informed and provocative opinion on THE CUBS, and bring more to the table than the clowns employed as Chicago's media "personalities."

You do seem to have some special ones. Maybe we could make a trade involving Anita Marks? By the way I almost drove to Chicago and kicked Jay Mariotti in the balls this morning. :002_sbiggrin:

First of all, pretty much all the talk show hosts in Chicago are idiots...

As best I can tell, pretty much all the talk show hosts in the Known Universe are idiots. I think it's part of the basic job description.

The only exceptions I'm familiar with are Kennedy and Dibble. They're idiots only rarely.

As best I can tell, pretty much all the talk show hosts in the Known Universe are idiots. I think it's part of the basic job description.

The only exceptions I'm familiar with are Kennedy and Dibble. They're idiots only rarely.

They have to stick to platitudes and cliches in order to keep the attention of the average joe. If they started analyzing stats on air many people would be bored to tears and would change the channel.

The most important factor for these guys/gals is being a dynamic speaker. That usually means having a very strong opinion about whatever they are talking about whether they are informed or not.:cool:

Im not here to defend sports show talk hosts, but...remember what there job is; to grab as many listeners as possible. It's not their job to give great, in debth analysis of players, sighting hard core statistics.

There job is to get as many people to listen as possible. Emotional. opinion filled diatribes that get peoples attention is what has proven to work. Keep that in mind.

Ah yes, so McPhail deserves no credit for the team that was assembled and all the blame because Wood and Prior had all of those arm injuries.

Lets forget the two championships in Minnesota shall we.

Not a knock on you young Bob, just tired of the invasion of fans that use the term McFail.

First of all, the quote to which I was responding (and my reply) said nothing about Hendry or McPhail deserving credit/blame for 2003. I was simply stating Hendry was the GM when they came the closest to making the World Series. The original post said McPhail was GM at that time. McPhail made solid contributions, but it was Hendry's trade for Ramirez and Lofton in the middle of the season that kicked that playoff run into high gear. The original quote and my response made no comment about McPhail's work in Minnesota and I did not refer to him as you did at the end of your post. I was simply attempting to correct an statement that was not accurate. Didn't mean to touch a nerve there.

Archived