Oh, what a play, Manny!

Flacco Machado

The first few times I watched the play I couldn't tell whether he had booted the ball or just flipped it from his glove to his throwing hand, something I wouldn't put past Manny anymore. I told my business partner to look at the play. He loves throwing cold water on any enthusiasm I show over things Oriole. (He's a Brewers fan. What else does he have to do?) He made the same point Hoosiers raised that the bobble forced the play to be more spectacular than it needed to be. Maybe, but I agree with Claudecat.

Someone with more technical skills than I have should do a Zapruder tape comparison of this play and Brooks' legendary catch and throw on Lee May. Side by side, frame by frame with a stop watch running. How long from contact with the bat to contact with the glove? From contact with the glove to release of the throw? From release of the throw to contact with the 1B glove? Also distances. How far from the foul line (and up the line from the base) was contact with the glove? How long was the throw?

Not sure where I read it, but someone said 137'.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched Brooks paly for his entire career, and Manny is the first 3B I would ever even compare to Brooks. Manny will be better if he sticks at that position. He is still learning the foot work and positioning, but he has the hands, reflexes, and a much stronger arm. Sorry Adrian.

Boswell:

BTW, I saw the Machado throw from the third base coaches box on tape. THE best throw I have ever seen a third baseman make. I've been raving about his arm in these chats. He just whips it with total confidence. But that throw really showed off the pure power of his arm. You're seeing levels of talent now in this next generation that baseball may never have had before.

http://live.washingtonpost.com/ask-boswell-130708.html

Don't have time to clean it up, and the 40 year difference in cameras makes it rough...

ibg2RMbpRkmcpI.gif

It looks like they threw from roughly the same spot. Manny perhaps a little further.

Brooks threw overhand and bounced it. Manny threw sidearm and nailed a strike.

http://mlb.si.com/2013/07/07/machado-continues-to-amaze-proves-hes-the-future-for-orioles/?sct=hp_t12_a2&eref=sihp

To paraphrase SI, Machado will be the starting SS for the AL for the next 10 years. Only question is when that starts.

What I thought was more compelling, was the part about how he was not only the best defensive third baseman in the league hands down, but the best defensive player in the league. Period!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived