The Magic is Gone ("Perspective" thread merge)

Dipper9

If they don't make the playoffs, especially by say less than five games, I think I might have to take a sabbatical from here, because the board will be littered with threads highlighting all of the supposed games that "would have made the difference." It's almost as if some folks are completely obsessed over that type of thing.

I know people are energized again, and I know some people have been spoiled by one playoff season, but people really do need to chill out. Your team matters in August and September again. Stop and enjoy it for a minute.

Remember that time when for 14 seasons in a row they couldn't even sniff the playoffs by the end of July... That was awesome or not...There were times during those 14 seasons when I watched games and thought well maybe if things broke their way they had a chance to win. Now, I sorta expect them to win every game but understand that they won't.

I absolutely love watching this team, but then to date they have exceeded my expectations. Hopefully those complaining and freaking out are still enjoying this run in their own way. You never know how long it will last.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably going to come down to how they perform head to head vs. Tampa (7 games) and Boston (9 games.)

They've got a shot, but losing games like last night's are costlier and costlier as time ticks by. I don't judge reactionary posts/comments to games like last night's because, well, I understand them. I would be livid if I stayed up all night to watch them piss away a win. They're in the final leg of the marathon, every step is an important one quite frankly. 44 games to go...

Simply awesome, and similar to a sermon I just preached on my in-laws a couple of weeks ago. More and more, I chalk it up to the "footballization" of the American sports fan.

A majority of most peoples' "fanhood" goes to a sport where there are only 10% as many games (and fewer in college). A baseball team that wins 60% of its games will be amongst the favorites to win a championship, while a .600 football team will likely miss the playoffs. If your college team loses its first game of the season, they may have just killed their chances at a title.

I think that level of constant anxiety is unfortunately bleeding over into fans' appreciation of other sports.

This post will be viewed by some as reactionary, but please bare with me.

This has been a fun season, and its far from over. We've won more than we've lost, the offense has been very exciting at times, and the defense has been spectacular. I've enjoyed the 2013 season and still hold out hope.

That said, I don't think the Orioles are going to make the playoffs this year. We are a good team, but we don't have that magic that we had last year. Last year we were a team of destiny, a team on a mission. This year, Boston has that mojo. The Orioles are winning game for sure, but the amazing comebacks, the walk-offs, the late inning heroics, the extra inning magic, the one run wins, its all missing this year.

We'll win between 85-90 games, and we'll be in this race to the end, but I just don't think it will be enough to make the playoffs.

Except that to date, this years team is better. Better record, better run differential against better competition in the AL East.

We will have to see what happens and I get the intent of the post but to me, I would rather have a team that is better than to rely simply on mythical "magic".

All of this is true but the competition is better this year. The difference in the unbalanced schedules is playing a role as well. Texas just took 4 from Houston.

Yes, I agree with the message but we will need to play better if we are to make postseason. I think part of the frustration is seeing the other teams playing well and realizing how hard it will be to make it.

Texas is not better than they were last year. The competition in the AL East is about the same. Oakland is the same, I would say other than Houston mucking up the AL West not much has changed. The race is on between us and TB for the last wild card spot

It's probably going to come down to how they perform head to head vs. Tampa (7 games) and Boston (9 games.)

They've got a shot, but losing games like last night's are costlier and costlier as time ticks by. I don't judge reactionary posts/comments to games like last night's because, well, I understand them. I would be livid if I stayed up all night to watch them piss away a win. They're in the final leg of the marathon, every step is an important one quite frankly. 44 games to go...

This is where I am at. Boston, Tampa, and the second wild car team are gonna be difficult to catch. Think about this. In all of those head to head series coming up, IF we can take 2 out of 3, we're only gaining one game each time. We have to win these games that should be wins NOW. Last night was one of them. And last night was also the difference between being ONE game out of the wild card vs TWO. My thread I started this morning is not all doom and gloom. I expect the O's to be contenders down to the end, and I expect 85-90 wins. But quite frankly, that won't be enough to make the playoffs, which was the point of that thread. The bullpen has got to get better than 5 runs in 2.2 innings and giving up two homers to guys who had NONE coming into those at bats.

All of this. I can't be too upset with the game last night, because I didn't stay up. If I had, I'd probably be really pissed. It's hard to knock someone for comments right after a game like that, but today should be a different game.

Texas is not better than they were last year. The competition in the AL East is about the same. Oakland is the same, I would say other than Houston mucking up the AL West not much has changed. The race is on between us and TB for the last wild card spot

Huh, I think Texas is better than last year. Darvish got his feet wet last year and was inconsistent, now he's a true number 1. They were already solid at pitching, and they added Garza. They have adequate offense, and their pitching is good enough that they don't need to score 9 runs a game.

Don't look now, but Tampa Bay is in the middle of a five game losing streak. And they played Arizona four times since July 30, they lost three to the "team we NEED to beat."

This. People need to stop acting like the opposition doesn't lose to some of the same teams. And to all those people complaining about the opposition and how easier they make it look, you assume that they're going to keep on rolling the rest of the way. You assume that they won't have problems to deal with or hit cold spots the same way the Orioles have.

You. Don't. Know. That.

This post will be viewed by some as reactionary, but please bare with me.

This has been a fun season, and its far from over. We've won more than we've lost, the offense has been very exciting at times, and the defense has been spectacular. I've enjoyed the 2013 season and still hold out hope.

That said, I don't think the Orioles are going to make the playoffs this year. We are a good team, but we don't have that magic that we had last year. Last year we were a team of destiny, a team on a mission. This year, Boston has that mojo. The Orioles are winning game for sure, but the amazing comebacks, the walk-offs, the late inning heroics, the extra inning magic, the one run wins, its all missing this year.

We'll win between 85-90 games, and we'll be in this race to the end, but I just don't think it will be enough to make the playoffs.

The problem is this front office thought it could win with the same team. Starting pitching let this team down this year early on killed the pen now we're seeing the efforts of that. Bottom line everyone one they counted on in 2013 let them down. Hammel Johnson Jake Pedro Britt on bottom line I hope they get some real pitching this off season but I'm not counting on it.

The problem is this front office thought it could win with the same team. Starting pitching let this team down this year early on killed the pen now we're seeing the efforts of that. Bottom line everyone one they counted on in 2013 let them down. Hammel Johnson Jake Pedro Britt on bottom line I hope they get some real pitching this off season but I'm not counting on it.

Their record at this same point last year is nearly identical, so keep the faith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived