Markakis: Wrist affecting power?

Grt 2BA FL Gator

I'm not a Markakis hater, he can still be useful as a slap hitter and on-base guy, but he really does seem to be sapped of all power. He really got a hold of one yesterday and it ended up being a sac fly to mid-center, it wasn't even that deep. When it came off the bat I thought it might be gone but it wasn't even close.

I sorta thought the same thing. I mean I didn't think it was gone because until I see a homer from Nick, I am not convinced he has that power anymore (maybe a little harsh but its how I feel at this point). I did think it was a double but it was little more than a medium deep fly ball. The question becomes what do you do with him in the offseason? I believe he is due something in the neighborhood of $17.5 mil next year w/ a club buyout option of $5 mil. I think you either restructure his contract to extend him but pay him significantly less or you buy him out. I am fine with either but personally I would buy him out and look for a better offensive option. Unfortunately, I think Angelos loves Nick and will pay his contract next year and then resign him for a 2-3 year extension. Its obvious his will never return to that 20-25 hr output he once had but he is a solid defender and a good 8th place hitter in a solid lineup (why he is batting 5th is beyond me at this point).

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The hump is an optical allusion due to his batting stance and the fact that he bats left-handed. You don't see it when he stands more upright like he did yesterday.

Not sure you can look like Quasimodo and it be an optical illusion. Yes it disappears some when he stands upright, but it's still there. Obviously ppl have been noticing

Not sure you can look like Quasimodo and it be an optical illusion. Yes it disappears some when he stands upright, but it's still there. Obviously ppl have been noticing

I saw Nick rip that shot up the middle yesterday. It actually almost got out of the infield for 2 RBI's. Too bad it didn't quite make it past the 2nd basemen.

He's literally always looked like that. It's an illusion due to how he stands in relation to the camera. What you are seeing is his shoulder.

For one, it would be his shoulder blade cuz it's 6 inches below his shoulder and 2 it actually sticks out further than most ppl's shoulder blades do. Even when he is standing upright in the outfield i have noticed it a little. I do not think it's an illusion. But hey if you want to stick up for Nick's Quasimodo back then u just go right on ahead.

Archived