Markakis: Wrist affecting power?

Grt 2BA FL Gator

Nick has been a pretty good whipping boy around here this year.

I honestly thought that he settled into a very nice line last year with that .834 OPS and .363 OBP. I have accepted that we will never see 2008 Nick again, but the numbers he put up last year add a lot of value to our swing happy lineup.

Now, this year is another issue altogether. As frustrated as I am with him, I have to think the wrist is sapping his power. His flyball rate is way down.

Some say "he is just a slap hitter now", but I think his decline this year screams that the wrist or something in that arena is bothering him. Again, even though he is not 2008 Nick, at 29 years old, I don't think a decline in the power arena is just normal wear and tear..

Thoughts? Any inside info? I searched Nick Markakis Injury, Wrist, struggles etc. and didn't find much on google.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The hamate bone surgery didn't seem to affect him in the second half last year. Was there another surgery after? I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. His ISO is like .080 or something. It's getting pretty ridiculous.

drove in 2 of the four runs with a line drive to the outfield yesterday.

7 RBI's in two months. One double in a month. No homers in about two months. He is not worth 15 million next year. I don't seee the Orioles picking up his option for 2015-17.5 million.

True, he hasn't been producing, it was nice to see him produce yesterday.

Can, we wait and see how he plays in 2014, before we argue about picking up the option for 2015?

The hamate bone surgery didn't seem to affect him in the second half last year. Was there another surgery after? I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. His ISO is like .080 or something. It's getting pretty ridiculous.

I mean, he had his wrist broken after the surgery. He had around 200 AB's when he got back from the hamate surgery, his April/May of this year looks comparable numbers wise at a very quick glance. Again, wrist injuries are said to be responsible for a lack of power, I'm not going to say that just because he had a 200 AB sample last year where he hit for more power, so the wrist is fine, he's just shot.

I mean, he had his wrist broken after the surgery. He had around 200 AB's when he got back from the hamate surgery, his April/May of this year looks comparable numbers wise at a very quick glance. Again, wrist injuries are said to be responsible for a lack of power, I'm not going to say that just because he had a 200 AB sample last year where he hit for more power, so the wrist is fine, he's just shot.

Maybe the wrist was healthy in the beginning of the season, but didnt have the stamina for the daily grind of the 162 game season.

Again, I don't know. I just keep hearing hamate bone. Clearly there is something wrong with his ability to drive the ball. At least imo.

true. very true.

Sometimes the bat goes across the plate and doesn't make contact with the ball. :)

Bottom line, he got a single that produce two runs and scored once.

Which is better than 0-7.

Yeah and sometimes they split the gap instead of dying. Do you generally lack analytic ability or do you just show it here?

Again, I don't know. I just keep hearing hamate bone. Clearly there is something wrong with his ability to drive the ball. At least imo.

I think any reasonable person has to agree with this. There is something wrong, I'm hoping it's related to the surgery, and then the broken wrist, and I hope he gets the ability to drive the ball back. I did read that players often damage that bone by holding the knob of the bat, and after the bone is gone, players can tell it's gone, so maybe that's why he chokes up. I honestly don't know the reason, I'm hoping it's just temporary.

Archived