Markakis: Wrist affecting power?

Grt 2BA FL Gator

Spring training. I saw him send one in Sarasota. Of course, the option for 2015 could be picked up if Nick hits 30 hrs next year. Unlikely yes, but stranger things have happened.

I don't think so. I think the only way Nick could get a $17.5 million option picked up is if he had a year like the one Chris Davis is having. And he's not capable of doing that.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully Urrutia's bat will pick up next year if Markakis struggles again. Markakis will definitely be playing for a new contract as the option looks out of play. The O's could always buy him out and extend him at a much lower price. The real question would be if he's good enough to be an everyday RF in 2015.

I definitely would not be in favor of an extension at any price right now. I hate to say that because he's been my favorite Oriole for a while now, but the bottom line is that he's nowhere close to what a right fielder on a contending team needs to be. If he could consistently hit like he did last year it would be a different story. But now the improvement he showed last year over what he did in 2011 looks like an outlier, and at the moment his career is in danger of going into free fall.

Did you notice he is not choking up here like he is doing now? Why is he choking up now? Can you even hit a homerun when you choke up so much?

It's possible ;)

<iframe src='http://wapc.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=25570145&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

I definitely would not be in favor of an extension at any price right now. I hate to say that because he's been my favorite Oriole for a while now, but the bottom line is that he's nowhere close to what a right fielder on a contending team needs to be. If he could consistently hit like he did last year it would be a different story. But now the improvement he showed last year over what he did in 2011 looks like an outlier, and at the moment his career is in danger of going into free fall.

1 XBH in 111 PA since the All-Star break is a worry for sure.

By this logic, the early home runs WOULDNT have come and the'd slowly be coming now..the opposite is true. Its not the wrist I dont think.

Maybe he is just settling in to what he really is...a solid fielding singles hitter..

And when IS the last time Nick cranked one?

It's just interesting because he's not 35 like B rob. He's 29. Drop offs have happened like this in baseball, but it's still very weird.

Fangraphs had an article the other day about this same topic. It's an interesting read as usual.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/nick-markakis-stunted-power/

I think it could be his wrist as that injury is notorious for sapping power from hitters for up to a year and a half after the surgery. I'm expecting a turnaround next year to say the least.

This is my thought process. Again, the weird thing is he didn't trudge out of the gates, but perhaps it's the workload of more and more games. He did only play 104 last year.

Either way, contract years always seem to be a nice incentive for players. That should work in our favor next year.

Fangraphs had an article the other day about this same topic. It's an interesting read as usual.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/nick-markakis-stunted-power/

I think it could be his wrist as that injury is notorious for sapping power from hitters for up to a year and a half after the surgery. I'm expecting a turnaround next year to say the least.

Great article. Pretty much touched on every point I have thought about.

Wow. People are really accusing Markakis of using 'roids in this thread? OH'ers go nuts when bloggers or sports writers try to connect Davis and PED's, but some of you are suggesting that Markakis was using?

Please explain why you would be shocked he was doing it? I'd be more surprised to hear players were NOT roiding. Wasn't it said by a reliable source that something like 90 percent of players were doing it?

Please explain why you would be shocked he was doing it? I'd be more surprised to hear players were NOT roiding. Wasn't it said by a reliable source that something like 90 percent of players were doing it?

Really, 90%??????????????

reliable source as some troll on the internet???????

I'm not shocked that any profession baseball player or other athlete has or does use PED's. I'm stunned that so many OH posters would so nonchalantly link Markakis to PED's when so many posters flipped out when writers and bloggers made a connection between Chris Davis and PED's. I didn't go back and look at those threads, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the posters who vented about how unfair that was to Davis are implying things in this thread. That's hypocritical, to say the least. It is also blatantly unfair to link Markakis to PED's without any evidence whatsoever.

I'm not shocked that any profession baseball player or other athlete has or does use PED's. I'm stunned that so many OH posters would so nonchalantly link Markakis to PED's when so many posters flipped out when writers and bloggers made a connection between Chris Davis and PED's. I didn't go back and look at those threads, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the posters who vented about how unfair that was to Davis are implying things in this thread. That's hypocritical, to say the least. It is also blatantly unfair to link Markakis to PED's without any evidence whatsoever.

We were having a discussion about his declining power. I suggested a possibility that it could be from lack of PED's. I don't see what the big deal is.

The reason it's ridiculous to say Davis did steroids, is because of his build and his past power. The man is so huge and strong, he doesn't need PED's, unless he got that way by using PED's, which I don't believe. He also always had incredible power.

Use your eyes, they can tell you alot.

Archived