Why can't we pitch?

calmunderfire

The Orioles bullpen has the most innings pitched in the American League... that's all you need to know about the quality of our starting pitching.

Except that this is a blatantly false statement -- the Orioles' bullpen has pitched the fifth most innings, and about 8 more than the league average. They're a full 53 innings lower than the worst team, the Blue Jays.

The starters are 12th in starters' ERA, and the relievers are 10th in relievers' ERA (though just a hair below the league average). I'd say there is plenty of blame to go around.

I wish there was an easy answer to why the Orioles' pitching is bad year after year. Mostly, we haven't had a good success rate on the highly rated starters we've brought up from the minors. Whether that's bad player development, bad luck, or some combination, I don't know.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's so frustrating because I've have seen the same movie over and over again. O's get highly drafted starters. They are supposed to be TOR pitchers and they can't even stay in an MLB rotation. It's gotten to the point where whenever I see an O's starter come up and debut I don't question if they will fail. It's a matter of how soon. Matusz, Arrieta, Bergesen, Johnson, Gausman, all the guys going back to the late 90s. They are all just really bad.

It's so frustrating because I've have seen the same movie over and over again. O's get highly drafted starters. They are supposed to be TOR pitchers and they can't even stay in an MLB rotation. It's gotten to the point where whenever I see an O's starter come up and debut I don't question if they will fail. It's a matter of how soon. Matusz, Arrieta, Bergesen, Johnson, Gausman, all the guys going back to the late 90s. They are all just really bad.

And the really funny thing is everyone screams bloddy murder if you suggest packaging a Bundy & Others in a trade for a proven ML player like Giacarlo Stanton. It's always the latest O's high draft pick that will be the savior. I don't know how many people in player development got fired when DD took over but if it was me I would have fired them all, then put an add in the Tampa Bay / Boston / Atlanta papers that if you were in their baseball organization you could have an equivalent job with the O's for a 50% raise.

More runs allowed equals regression. I'm more educated than you are.

Hardly. Most of your posts are beyond idiotic with no support.

I said he was struggling pretty bad in July (with Houston) before we acquired him. And then you said that means he regressed with the Orioles. Umm, no.

I said he was struggling pretty bad in July (with Houston) before we acquired him. And then you said that means he regressed with the Orioles. Umm, no.

Is the game really so boring you two have to go back and forth like this?

More runs allowed equals regression. I'm more educated than you are.

Oh...my...God...you guys need to take this stuff to e-mail or Facebook chat or PM's or something. Stop hijacking threads and hurling insults.

Archived