Why can't we pitch?

calmunderfire

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Um they aren't good? Aside from Tillman and maybe Norris, the rest of the rotation should be wide open next year. This team needs to shell the grow the pitching, reclamation scrap heap projects and actually get some good pitchers, and not just arms.

Chen? I still think he's our best starter. If not second best.

Chen? I still think he's our best starter. If not second best.

That's not saying much with this staff. He's a 4 on most good teams. He's a 5 inning pitcher that doesn't have great command of any one pitch. Doesn't throw hard enough to make up for that. I'm not sold on Chen. Even Bruce Chen has had a couple double digit sub 4 ERA seasons. I hate to say it, but Wei yin looks like Bruce to me.

We have a bunch of #4 and #5 starters and it doesn't help that not one member of the so called "calvary" panned out. This team is in desperate need of acquiring a TOR starter in the off season. Going to have to spend money. If they don't, it will be the same story unless one of Bundy/Gausman really step up.

That's not saying much with this staff. He's a 4 on most good teams. He's a 5 inning pitcher that doesn't have great command of any one pitch. Doesn't throw hard enough to make up for that. I'm not sold on Chen. Even Bruce Chen has had a couple double digit sub 4 ERA seasons. I hate to say it, but Wei yin looks like Bruce to me.

Chen usually has solid command of his fastball. His secondary pitches are poor, but he can be effective at times because he can locate his fastball to all 4 quadrants of the strike zone. Chen's stuff is average best so when he doesn't have command he can get lit up.

And i'm not trying to knock Chen. He's a nice guy to have in the rotation as a 4. But if this team is serious about winning, its not going to happen with a top 3 of Tillman, Chen, and Gonzalez. I wouldn't be shocked if any of those three are fighting to stay in baseball in 3 years. Atleast as starters.

Archived