Michael Morse "almost certain" to join the Orioles (Update: Acquired for Avery))

Greg

There was an article in the NY times or some other NY publication over the weekend stating DD and Buck's strained relationship isn't getting any better or something along those lines. If I knew how to find it I would.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/madden-buck-hoping-orioles-troubles-stop-article-1.1443296

Before the game, Showalter had been dealing with a bunch of issues, and not just how to right his ballclub that had lost four out of five to two of the three teams ahead of them in the AL East, the Red Sox and Yankees. He talked about how his pitchers, such as they are, just don’t strike enough batters out. What he did not address was his increasingly strained relationship with his general manager, Dan Duquette, a relationship that became further strained when Duquette informed him Sunday morning that he was designating backup catcher Taylor Teagarden, one of Buck’s favorites and one of the most popular players in the clubhouse, for assignment.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was an article in the NY times or some other NY publication over the weekend stating DD and Buck's strained relationship isn't getting any better or something along those lines. If I knew how to find it I would.

Not getting back to the playoffs, and let's face it, it's unlikely we will return to the playoffs, has probably strained their relationship. But they're both adults and they'll get it back together, imo. They need each other.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/madden-buck-hoping-orioles-troubles-stop-article-1.1443296

Before the game, Showalter had been dealing with a bunch of issues, and not just how to right his ballclub that had lost four out of five to two of the three teams ahead of them in the AL East, the Red Sox and Yankees. He talked about how his pitchers, such as they are, just don’t strike enough batters out. What he did not address was his increasingly strained relationship with his general manager, Dan Duquette, a relationship that became further strained when Duquette informed him Sunday morning that he was designating backup catcher Taylor Teagarden, one of Buck’s favorites and one of the most popular players in the clubhouse, for assignment.

One more thing, I don't think Buck wanted K-Rod, based on his comments at the time, and that may have contributed to their "strained relationship."

One more thing, I don't think Buck wanted K-Rod, based on his comments at the time, and that may have contributed to their "strained relationship."

All we need is issues between those two. I don't expect two people like that to agree on everything though. Buck hasn't used the roster as well this year to me. I am not real worried about this but it is something to follow.

Question I have, how does the NY Daily News know they have a strained relationship. I'm sure neither of them have said that to anyone there. Is it an assumption? Was it passed on by someone within the organization. And if so, why would anyone from within the organization talk about such stuff to a reporter from a NY paper?

OR is it possible they are making it up to sell more newspapers?

Question I have, how does a the NY Daily News know they have a strained relationship. I'm sure neither of them have said that to anyone there. Is it an assumption? Was it passed on by someone within the organization. And if so, why would anyone from within the organization talk about such stuff to a reporter from a NY paper?

OR is it possible they are making it up to see more newspapers?

The author of that story, Bill Madden has been around a long time in NY. He wrote a book about George Steinbrenner. He was there in NY when Buck managed. I would bet he has a good relationship with Buck, if I had to guess.

The author of that story, Bill Madden has been around a long time in NY. He wrote a book about George Steinbrenner. He was there in NY when Buck managed. I would bet he has a good relationship with Buck, if I had to guess.

Seems out of character for Buck to share that kind of information with anyone. I didn't read anywhere where Buck was quoted as saying they have a issues.

edit: Reread it, it actually says the opposite, that Buck DID NOT address it.

Seems out of character for Buck to share that kind of information with anyone. I didn't read anywhere where Buck was quoted as saying they have a issues.

Buck didn't hide the fact was upset Teagarden was let go. I am not saying Buck said anything directly to Madden. I think Madden reported that the Orioles had quit on Trembley before he was fired. He has been around a long time, probably has a lot of sources. He also writes for a NY paper and they cover things differently than the Baltimore Sun to say the least.

My point is maybe Buck was pretty open about the Teagarden situation and Madden had heard some whispers elsewhere. I don't think Buck would come right out and saying something directly to Madden.

Before the game, Showalter had been dealing with a bunch of issues, and not just how to right his ballclub that had lost four out of five to two of the three teams ahead of them in the AL East, the Red Sox and Yankees. He talked about how his pitchers, such as they are, just don?t strike enough batters out. What he did not address was his increasingly strained relationship with his general manager, Dan Duquette, a relationship that became further strained when Duquette informed him Sunday morning that he was designating backup catcher Taylor Teagarden, one of Buck?s favorites and one of the most popular players in the clubhouse, for assignment.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Honestly, I felt the timing was pretty strange after keeping Teagarden all year then DFAing him a day before roster's expanded.

Mind sharing where you read/heard this?

It was a lot of reading between the lines type stuff. I also remember hearing DD talking about Morse and mentioning RF as a possibility. Maybe I am reading to much into things here but I can see where it would be easy to speculate that the two haven't been on the same page as of late-not that it is true.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Honestly, I felt the timing was pretty strange after keeping Teagarden all year then DFAing him a day before roster's expanded.

The move shocked me also. My thinking about it was, Teagarden has done little to nothing all season, didn't do much last season, is a FA after the season. Wieters is going to catch just about every game this month, maybe a couple days off, why not see if the other two can provide more. Do we need to carry 4 catchers?

Archived