Michael Morse "almost certain" to join the Orioles (Update: Acquired for Avery))

Greg

Don't discount the bump he'll get from playing in a better hitting environment as well on a contender. I'm not sure it's as easy as looking at his last month's stats. I like adding Morse more than Willingham for no other reason than I don't have a $7 million commitment to him next season. If it doesn't cost more than a low level "prospect" or just a waiver claim, I don't see the down side. $1 million for a month of work is limited risk in the major league environment.

It's not the end of the world and there's a slim chance he catches fire and helps out. But this is a team that's always acting like they don't have two nickles to rub together, and I don't see where he's an upgrade.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I suspect the negotiation is going something like this.

Seattle: Hey Dan, you claimed Morse. What will you give him for us?

Dan: nothing

Seattle: Ok. We'll wait the two days and then he's yours. Thanks for saving our ultra rich owner $1 million.

Dan: You're welcome. Maybe your ultra rich owner should build a better ball park. Good day, sir.

Safeco is not a hitter's park but it is a great park. Just sayin'.

Don't discount the bump he'll get from playing in a better hitting environment as well on a contender. I'm not sure it's as easy as looking at his last month's stats. I like adding Morse more than Willingham for no other reason than I don't have a $7 million commitment to him next season. If it doesn't cost more than a low level "prospect" or just a waiver claim, I don't see the down side. $1 million for a month of work is limited risk in the major league environment.

Ick. Why would we start Morse over Valencia against a lefty? His OBP was .320 last year and that's 40 points higher than this year. There's no reason to start him at DH with Valencia and WB. That means he's a pinch hitter. Surely there is a better way to spend $1 million and if there is any sort of prospect involved DD must have lost his mind.

After being a bat short all season I see no reason not to add Morse. He gives up options. We could play Morse, Valencia, Pearce against LHP. We'll have a bigger bench which means we can use defensive replacements early and often. Plus like someone said earlier at this point we need to catch fire and go on a winning streak and Morse is the type of bat that can slug 8-10 HR's down the stretch.

Ick. Why would we start Morse over Valencia against a lefty? His OBP was .320 last year and that's 40 points higher than this year. There's no reason to start him at DH with Valencia and WB. That means he's a pinch hitter. Surely there is a better way to spend $1 million and if there is any sort of prospect involved DD must have lost his mind.

Are you seriously objecting over the spending of a million dollars. After all of the thousands of complaints about the Orioles being to cheap and never spending a dime. Wow. The million dollars is virtually irrelevant. That kind of money in today's MLB economy is a non-factor.

What Morse brings to the table is his history of going on torrid hot streaks, which is exactly what the O's need in order to have any chance at the playoffs. Playing .500 or .550 ball for these last 30 games won't cut it. They need an absolute minimum of 20-10 to have a shot. If Morse gets hot, the O's chances of ripping off a bunch of wins is increased. If he is cold, we haven't lost anything, and we aren't on the hook for an albatross of a salary next year. Morse is absolutely a low risk, high reward option for us right now.

Are you seriously objecting over the spending of a million dollars. After all of the thousands of complaints about the Orioles being to cheap and never spending a dime. Wow. The million dollars is virtually irrelevant. That kind of money in today's MLB economy is a non-factor.

The fact that the Orioles are cheap and never spend a dime is exactly why we're questioning this move. Our assumption is that the O's have extremely finite resources at their disposal and we're wondering if spending that $1M might be keeping the O's from acquiring talent that might have a longer-term benefit, and a higher chance at paying off.

I would give up next to nothing for any of these guys. The Indians acquired Kubel for a "fringe" player to be named later AND the Dbacks are paying nearly all his salary.

What about his option for next year? Are they paying that?

The fact that the Orioles are cheap and never spend a dime is exactly why we're questioning this move. Our assumption is that the O's have extremely finite resources at their disposal and we're wondering if spending that $1M might be keeping the O's from acquiring talent that might have a longer-term benefit, and a higher chance at paying off.

You do realize that this is a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" attitude, don't you? To say that it is too much money to spend on a 30-day rental, only to complain if they get nobody truly puts DD in a no-win situation. It really is a trifling sum in today's MLB economy, and that amount of money should never be the deciding factor on whether or not to take a shot like this.

Archived