Axford rising on Orioles' wish list

Greg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Oviedo could earn up to another $1.4-million - so thus $2.9-million total - based on incentives from <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rays&src=hash">#Rays</a>.</p>— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) <a href="

">December 5, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why? Based on what? At what price?

Based on his strong K rate. I think he has good stuff and could be had for a bargain because of his recent struggles. I don't know what it would take to sign him…I'd need to know more details about the Orioles budget projections to give you a firm number, but it would be a fraction of the $10 million Johnson would have cost. I might do something in the 2 year/ $7 million range.

Really?

Wow.

I see a guy entering his age 28 season whose OPS dropped 124 points and who posted a sub 300 OBP.

You have a lot more faith in his ability to bounce back then I do.

Took a 50 point hit in babip last year. Without knowing too much (i.e if he's being shifted) I'd guess he's close to his overall career rate.

That could be part of it.

I remember Palmer mentioning how he would pitch him, but I'm quite sure advanced scouting has come back with notes on his plate coverage and the fact he destroys low, middle in FB. The CB, not so much. His plate discipline is also sorely lacking.

I remember Palmer mentioning how he would pitch him, but I'm quite sure advanced scouting has come back with notes on his plate coverage and the fact he destroys low, middle in FB. The CB, not so much. His plate discipline is also sorely lacking.

That's a fact. I still remember him just crushing a really good pitch like that (it was in) off somebody this year (Matusz?) in a critical game situation.

Archived