Axford rising on Orioles' wish list

Greg

Obviously I think he ends up somewhere in between 2012-2013. I am certainly not willing to give up Bundy for that.

Yeah, too many questions for sure. But splitting it down the middle and assuming LF he's probably a 3-3.5 WAR guy with maybe a 4-6 upside.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This has to be a lie to leverage another pitcher. This guy sucks!

You don't trade JJ to save money and then turn around and add a proven closer, they cost too much.

Whoever they get will be someone like Axford, he has done it in the past and they hope he can do it again, and at a cheaper rate. I have no idea what kind of a deal he could get, this market is insane right now.

You don't trade JJ to save money and then turn around and add a proven closer, they cost too much.

Whoever they get will be someone like Axford, he has done it in the past and they hope he can do it again, and at a cheaper rate. I have no idea what kind of a deal he could get, this market is insane right now.

Agreed ....but other than a dozen or appearances with the Cards this guy is a 5 era RP. I'd imagine his inherited runners stat is pretty horrible.

They were in Milwaukee together a few years ago.

Obviously he's been terrible pretty recently but I heard on MLB Network Radio the other night that Axford looked good for the Cardinals last year (I didn't see him pitch there at all so I don't know). Take it with a grain of salt but I would definitely like to get Axford in our pen, just not as the closer.

I haven't gone back and reviewed Axford's appearances, but I recall him being pretty good for the Cardinals. I believe the majority of Cardinals fans would agree. So was it the change in environment, adjustments suggested by the Cardinals pitching coach, the "Matheny factor", or just luck?

You can't put too much stock on numbers when they're only covering 10-1/3 innings because a single outing (especially if there's a breakdown in defense or a couple swinging hints) can skew the numbers so much. You need to look at the individual outings.

I believe the Cardinals would have liked to bring him back, but he was likely to get $6M in arbitration, and that was just too much to pay for a setup guy. This is especially true for a team with several guys throwing in the high nineties while only making major league minimum.

I haven't gone back and reviewed Axford's appearances, but I recall him being pretty good for the Cardinals. I believe the majority of Cardinals fans would agree. So was it the change in environment, adjustments suggested by the Cardinals pitching coach, the "Matheny factor", or just luck?

You can't put too much stock on numbers when they're only covering 10-1/3 innings because a single outing (especially if there's a breakdown in defense or a couple swinging hints) can skew the numbers so much. You need to look at the individual outings.

I believe the Cardinals would have liked to bring him back, but he was likely to get $6M in arbitration, and that was just too much to pay for a setup guy. This is especially true for a team with several guys throwing in the high nineties while only making major league minimum.

In 180 innings over 3 years the guy is a 4.5 era pitcher and a 1.74 era pitcher for 10 innings.

Duquette isn't that stupid....they might as well draft a rule 5 pitcher and pay him the minimum and save the other money this guy isn't worth.

Archived