Axford rising on Orioles' wish list

Greg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh good. Because watching JJ blow save after save last year didn't get old.

I had Axford on one of my fantasy teams for a large chunk of last year(from April until around August) so I'm pretty familiar with how he performed prior to his trade to STL. Let's just say that I would not use adjectives like "reliable" or "trustworthy." Really hope this doesn't come to pass.

How could they possibly sign Axford for closer when he has not recently been great? If he was good it has been very sporadic. Axford cannot be the closer they are looking for. Maybe just BP help.

I hope it is for BP help, I have no problem with that for the right price.

How about realistic? It's not like the Orioles have signed him already.

You think he's gonna bash a guy who the O's are very likely to sign?

I have no idea what his baseball knowledge is actually like. I know his columns never go further than reporting facts and some rumors. I've never seen him try to analyze anything beyond the surface. I think Steve comes across as more knowledgable in that regard.

He doesn't have to bash him. Reporting the facts would be great. How about the fact that he's been worse than replacement level over the last two years. That's a fact.

Troy Patton would be a better choice for closer than John Axford. Just about any current Oriole would.

That's what I mean by toeing the line. He's gonna put a rosy spin on every legitimately potential move they make. Conversely, he's gonna report negative things on guys like Choo, who cost too much.

His walk rate was below his average last year. The K rates have clearly come down, but they're still good.

4.0 BB/9 for career, 3.6 last year. Better than 5.1 in 2012 but still not what you want from your best relief pitcher. Axford scares me. Not bad to have as a plan B/dark horse, but not the guy I would want to start the season as our closer.

Is anything else good?

No. I'm not familiar with the guy at all. Just commenting that his FB velocity is up and curious to what the issues are that have made him less effective the past 2 years. I'm assuming that would have something to do with his secondaries or maybe batters just making better adjustments.

Archived