If we give up a draft pick for Kendrys Morales I will hammer a railroad spike through my head

SrMeowMeow

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay. Can we throw in Wieters, Bundy, Machado and Gausman?

Would I give up a top-5 pick in order to sign Morales? No.

Would I give up the 17th overall pick? Maybe, depending on the money.

(But...but...Hunter Harvey! zzzzOMG...)

The Orioles haven't shown enough in re: player drafting/development to make me want to hoard whatever picks they happen to have, and I'm really sick of people saying "oh, look at these great first rounders" (i.e., Machado & Company) when those guys were selected at the tippy-top of the draft (i.e., much closer to "you'd better not ----ing miss with this pick" territory than the pick the O's would lose for signing someone like Morales).

Ike Davis? But I don't think it would work, too many DH / 1st basemen. They can't get Davis and Morales could they? Unless they trade Chris Davis for a haul. Maybe they should do that.

I guess there's some upside there. Rather just stick Markakis at DH. His projections are very similar to Morales (maybe +15 OBP, -30 SLG), and I'm tired of seeing him in the field. Find a cheap RP somewhere, sign Burnett, give Stephen Drew eight figures and stick him at 2B. Then figure out one more outfielder. I don't know, anything. Make a trade. Flash a little bit of creativity, Duquette!

Would I give up a top-5 pick in order to sign Morales? No.

Would I give up the 17th overall pick? Maybe, depending on the money.

(But...but...Hunter Harvey! zzzzOMG...)

The Orioles haven't shown enough in re: player drafting/development to make me want to hoard whatever picks they happen to have, and I'm really sick of people saying "oh, look at these great first rounders" (i.e., Machado & Company) when those guys were selected at the tippy-top of the draft (i.e., much closer to "you'd better not ----ing miss with this pick" territory than the pick the O's would lose for signing someone like Morales).

I was just trying to counteract the poster who was listing like 3rd rounders. :)

I guess there's some upside there. Rather just stick Markakis at DH. His projections are very similar to Morales (maybe +15 OBP, -30 SLG), and I'm tired of seeing him in the field. Find a cheap RP somewhere, sign Burnett, give Stephen Drew eight figures and stick him at 2B. Then figure out one more outfielder. I don't know, anything. Make a trade. Flash a little bit of creativity, Duquette!

I have 0 confidence Markakis is going to be good again.

Matusz and Rowell were top 5 picks too!

That doesn't actually support your point, though. It just shows that even top-top picks can perform below expectations or miss entirely.

The subject of your OP is the potential loss of the 17th overall pick. So, in other words, coming back and saying "look at all these good/possibly great players we got in the draft," but citing only top-five picks, doesn't really help your point (i.e., that losing the first round pick for Morales would be spike-worthy).

That doesn't actually support your point, though. It just shows that even top-top picks can perform below expectations or miss entirely.

The subject of your OP is the potential loss of the 17th overall pick. So, in other words, coming back and saying "look at all these good/possibly great players we got in the draft," but citing only top-five picks, doesn't really help your point (i.e., that losing the first round pick for Morales would be spike-worthy).

Yes, yes, I know. And any thread about suicide by railroad spike is going to suffer from some hyperbole. But would you really be satisfied if I instead listed all the late-first picks who have gone on to stardom?

The point is, of all the available bats on the market, that we should be linked to an 800 OPS (and 330 OBP) hitter with no defensive value who will also cost us our first round pick is a bad joke. I mean, come on. Corey Hart got 1/5M to go to the MARINERS. He's projected for a 780ish OPS and can even play the OF. Signing Morales is just about the most backwards move I can imagine a team actually making.

Archived