Phillies Showing Some Class

Tryptamine

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"You should now expect very few of them to be open to talking with the Phillies."

That's just silly. The vast majority of kids drafted in the first ten rounds are going to be offered around slot except for the senior signs where teams are trying to save some money for later round picks. No kid who wants to go pro after being drafted by the Phillies is going to be concerned over what they did last year. If an agent doesn't want to work with the Phillies, the kid will find an agent that will.

I don't know the whole story here, so I'm not going to assign blame based off what's in this story. At the end of the day though, it's not going to matter next year and in the future.

I don't think they mean after a player was drafted but beforehand. Phillies may have a much harder time getting access to players pre-draft. Players may be advised not to talk to Phillies representatives about anything including what their number is. I could also see some college programs cutting off access to Phillies scouts to protect their players.

I don't see any agent not doing their best for their client if they were unfortunate enough to have been drafted by Philadelphia but I could see them acting in a way to make it less likely that the player they are advising gets drafted by the Phillies.

I don't think they mean after a player was drafted but beforehand. Phillies may have a much harder time getting access to players pre-draft. Players may be advised not to talk to Phillies representatives about anything including what their number is. I could also see some college programs cutting off access to Phillies scouts to protect their players.

I don't see any agent not doing their best for their client if they were unfortunate enough to have been drafted by Philadelphia but I could see them acting in a way to make it less likely that the player they are advising gets drafted by the Phillies.

:agree:

Phillies have really stepped in it, IMO.

Why would players do this? Why would they restrict the number of teams that could potentially pay them a lot of money to go pro? I just see this as a media/agent issue really and don't think this will affect the Phillies at all. I totally agree that the NCAA rules are ridiculous on this issue, and players all the time use "advisors," but I highly doubt that colleges and amateur players are going to restrict access to them over this. Again, I don't know the whole story, but I'm guessing the "advisors" convinced the kids to change their number after they were drafted and the Phillies were pissed over this.

That wasn't really my point. The Phillies are saying two players did something wrong by using agents. None of the players are supposed to use agents. Are we to believe that the Phillies didn't negotiate with any agents before inking all of their other draftees?

All those draftees are pro ball players. No different than if they had on draft day stated "I'm going pro." Your argument is actually an argument in Philly's favor. "If the kid is using an agent we assumed he was no longer interested in his eligibility and therefor guaranteed to sign."

There is nothing that says a player can't be represented by an agent in negotiations. He just can't do it and retain his NCAA eligibility.

Why would players do this? Why would they restrict the number of teams that could potentially pay them a lot of money to go pro? I just see this as a media/agent issue really and don't think this will affect the Phillies at all. I totally agree that the NCAA rules are ridiculous on this issue, and players all the time use "advisors," but I highly doubt that colleges and amateur players are going to restrict access to them over this. Again, I don't know the whole story, but I'm guessing the "advisors" convinced the kids to change their number after they were drafted and the Phillies were pissed over this.

I don't think anyone at the very top of the draft would do so but for anyone picked in the range where it's not a sure thing that it makes sense to sign it may make sense to try and avoid Philadelphia. Players drafted by Philadelphia are at a disadvantage by either not being able to use "advisors" to the same extent as they could with any other franchise or having their eligibility in danger if they do.

Archived