Orioles still in the market for one more SP + late inning RP (Update: Johan Santana signed)

fearthenoodle

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roch's Dan Duquette quotes.

"Johan Santana is an elite pitcher and he's determined to come back and pitch and he'd like to pitch at a high level, so we signed him to a minor league deal and our hope is he'll be able to come back and help us during the season. A reasonable timeframe for when he should be able to help us this year is around June 1. That's the way it's looking right now.

"We've been working on this for a while. He lives in Fort Myers and during his time with the Mets, he had trained and done rehab with Chris Correnti, one of our trainers, so Chris had stayed in touch with him and maintained dialogue with him as he's coming back from his capsule surgery on his left shoulder. Bruce Kison went down to see him last week. So, based upon their recommendations, and Johan's track record speaks for itself. He's a two-time Cy Young Award winner, he's got a lifetime 3.20 ERA, so he has to know something about pitching. And I know that he has some long-term goals. I think he's chasing Freddy Garcia for the most wins by a Venezuelan pitcher in history, so he'd like to come back and pitch. And his situation is very similar to Bret Saberhagen's.

"Bret had this same injury to his shoulder and also similar surgery and rehab, and he came back and he pitched ... I think he went 25-12 the last couple years toward the end of his career. He was able to maintain his elite control and he was able to build up his velocity so that he could leverage his skills that he used to be a two-time Cy Young Award winner, so I think that's really what our hope is in signing him. We don't know how long he can pitch, but we think he'll be able to come back and pitch, and he's already shown that he's a highly skilled pitcher, so he should be able to give us some good innings."

The same surgeon did the procedures on Saberhagen and Santana. Saberhagen signed with the Red Sox and went a combined 25-14 with ERAs of 3.96 and 2.95 in 1998 and 1999.

Asked whether Santana would start or be used in relief, Duquette replied, "Well, that depends on how he throws and what he can do after he builds up his velocity."

Even if Santana's velocity is down, Duquette said the southpaw can be effective "because he has deception to his pitches and he has outstanding control. Anyone who has pitched at the level he's pitched at had significant skills and the skills go beyond the velocity. He was a several-time All-Star. He also won the Gold Glove and he's pitched very, very well in the playoffs and that speaks to his high skill level."

Santana brings a reputation as a good clubhouse guy.

"I think we saw that yesterday, didn't we, when E-Rod (Eduardo Rodriguez) tweeted out a picture of him with Johan Santana," Duquette said. "Elite players, Cy Young Award winners, they have to have good work habits. They have to be good examples to the other developing pitchers on the staff. So, I'm sure Johan's presence will be welcomed.

"You can't be at the top of your profession without having a good work ethic, strong routine and a desire to be great. Johan brings all of those to the Orioles organization and he'll apply all those skills as part of this contract."

Duquette provided more details on the contract.

"If his contract is purchased by the major league team, he will receive a base salary and also receive bonuses based on being on the active roster and pitching. Games started," Duquette said.

"We're kind of excited. He's only 34 years old, he's determined to come back and pitch. He has some life-long goals that he'd like to fulfill and I'm sure another quality left-hander will be able to help the club."

It is, but as I suggested in another thread, I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that Duquette has his eyes on Santana for 2015 as well, even though this contract only covers 2014. Nobody knows for sure just how much of his previous form that Santana will (or will not) be able to regain, and since we're giving him at least $700,000 (and as much as $3 Million) for a guy who is such a question mark, while simultaneously allowing him to pitch in the upper levels of the minor leagues to rehabilitate himself, there could be an understanding between the two (Santana and Duquette) about us getting first dibs on him for next year.

I may be being naive, but I still think that there is something to be said for good faith, even in an era in which the average player in M.L.B. makes more than $3 Million a year.

SANTANA: "I'd like to thank the Baltimore Orioles for giving me the opportunity to comeback to the game I love."

:boogie:

ALSO:

SANTANA: "I'll do my best to comeback as quick as I can to help the team and get to know the fans base!!!"

TAKE YOUR TIME, Johan. If you're not ready until late this season, that's OK. And if you aren't ready at all this season, JUST REMEMBER which team gave you the chance to get the ball rolling on your comeback next off-season (between 2014 and 2015.) ;)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10549490/baltimore-orioles-sign-johan-santana-one-year-deal

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck said Johan will be used a starter. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="
">March 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I like Bucky's optimism. Really, I do.

But, I think that we should be taking this one step at a time. Let's see if Santana can gradually build up his arm strength, and get the ball up near 90 M.P.H. by June or July without his arm falling off before we start dreaming about him setting down opponents for 6 or 7 innings in front of 30,000 crazed Oriole fans.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck said Johan will be used a starter. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="
">March 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

One recently signed O's pitcher may be asking himself, "What am I Yooning here?"

Not with $8 million potentially on the table.

It's not really $8m on the table. It's basically just a $3m deal if of the 40m roster. Now if he reaches that $8m, PA isn't gonna be worried about costs. Because the contract works like this. He makes the team in late May.. it's $1m for being on 25m roster for 120 days (rest of the season). Then it's $750,000 for 20 starts. That bumps up to $1.450m if he makes 24 starts.

But if he makes 10 to 15 starts (which seems to be the thinking).. that's $500,000 at most.

So on the outperform by a wide margin, that's $5.45m deal including incentives..

What the O's are thinking is possible is really $4.5m deal (including incentives) or less.

Who knows what Johan will do. But his other incentives are ones we WANT him to achieve. All-Star, Come back player of the year, league championship series and World Series MVP awards.:thumbsup1:

But there might be money around still.

It's not really $8m on the table. It's basically just a $3m deal if of the 40m roster. Now if he reaches that $8m, PA isn't gonna be worried about costs. Because the contract works like this. He makes the team in late May.. it's $1m for being on 25m roster for 120 days (rest of the season). Then it's $750,000 for 20 starts. That bumps up to $1.450m if he makes 24 starts.

But if he makes 10 to 15 starts (which seems to be the thinking).. that's $500,000 at most.

So on the outperform by a wide margin, that's $5.45m deal including incentives..

What the O's are thinking is possible is really $4.5m deal (including incentives) or less.

Who knows what Johan will do. But his other incentives are ones we WANT him to achieve. All-Star, Come back player of the year, league championship series and World Series MVP awards.:thumbsup1:

But there might be money around still.

To max out the incentives, Santana has to make 25 starts and be on the active roster for 120 days.
Well that's probably not happening.

Yeah. Exactly.

If Johan Santana winds up maxing out, and gets $8 Million this season ....... while he is currently topping out at 81 M.P.H. a month before the start of the season ...... then the Orioles must have real-life scientists working for them that put together Steve Austin back in January of 1974.

Yeah. Exactly.

If Johan Santana winds up maxing out, and gets $8 Million this season ....... while he is currently topping out at 81 M.P.H. a month before the start of the season ...... then the Orioles must have real-life scientists working for them that put together Steve Austin back in January of 1974.

Santana would get $100,000 if he is released before March 25. He would be able to opt out of the deal if he isn't added to the major league roster by May 30.

http://news.yahoo.com/johan-santana-orioles-agree-minor-league-deal-165853198--spt.html

To max out the incentives, Santana has to make 25 starts and be on the active roster for 120 days.
Well that's probably not happening.
Yeah. Exactly.

Santana would get $100,000 if he is released before March 25. He would be able to opt out of the deal if he isn't added to the major league roster by May 30.

http://news.yahoo.com/johan-santana-orioles-agree-minor-league-deal-165853198--spt.html

Whatever the specific details are, if Santana winds up getting every penny that he is eligible for this upcoming season, I'll eat my Orioles hat ...... and my Orioles mask, and my Orioles rally monkey, too.

O

image_466213238_Baltimore-Orioles-Team-Rally-Monkey.jpg

Yes, but I wouldn't expect him to opt out. He'd get put on the roster collect his $3m and the O's put him on the DL for x amount of days and hope he's ready for August September which would drive the contract cost down to the $4m range.

Yes, but I wouldn't expect him to opt out. He'd get put on the roster collect his $3m and the O's put him on the DL for x amount of days and hope he's ready for August September which would drive the contract cost down to the $4m range.

It is a pro-rata 3 million. So June 1 would equal about 1.85 million I think.

Archived