Orioles still in the market for one more SP + late inning RP (Update: Johan Santana signed)

fearthenoodle

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I wouldn't be surprised if the Orioles are close to signing a Santana to add veteran organization pitching depth -we just saw Johan Santana</p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="

">March 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I wouldn't be surprised if the Orioles are close to signing a Santana to add veteran organization pitching depth -we just saw Johan Santana</p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="

On Ervin Santana, James Andrews says that the partial tear in his elbow is 100% cleared. Obviously the Orioles would want to verify that.

That Elbow looked just fine last year.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Leave the O's clubhouse, jump into his truck and leave the facility <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Leave the O's clubhouse, jump into his truck and leave the facility <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="

I'd be OK with that.

I personally do not want Ervin Santana. I think his elbow is a real concern and I don't see him being that much better than what we have to warrant a big contract 3/4 years at 10+ per. I would be interested in Johan Santana on a minor league deal.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Looks like Johan Santana was at the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> complex today. <a href="https://twitter.com/eduardorod5">@eduardorod5</a> just posted pic with him on Instagram. O's scouted him in Ft. Myers</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

eduardorjose

2 hours ago ? Ed Smith Stadium

My respects to this person as a child was always my idol and thank God today I have the opportunity to have him teammate Johan Santana lets go # Venezuela

With Ervin Santana, I'm just as worried about a guy pitching at OPACY who gave up 65 HRs over the last 2 years (!) as I am generally about his torn-up and unrepaired elbow.

On Johan Santana, the 'organizational depth' comment sounds like a minor league contract offer, which is what DD has done the last couple of years -- taking flyers on veterans trying to hang on or come back. Fine with me, although I think he's about as likely to contribute this year as Mark Hendrickson was last year.

Archived