Orioles still in the market for one more SP + late inning RP (Update: Johan Santana signed)

fearthenoodle

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Told <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a> are, indeed, nearing minor league deal with Johan Santana. Was in camp today.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sounds like <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a> have deal with Johan Santana. Just waiting for it to become "official."</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Santana is not official yet. But pretty close. And the organization does see him a potential lefty reliever. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sounds like <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a> have deal with Johan Santana. Just waiting for it to become "official."</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

HECK TO THE YEAH! I LOVE THIS OFFSEASON! To all the people that kept the faith and said to remain patience (you are probably a small minority-ha!)-I eat crow, so happy!

Great addition. Whether he is used as a starter or reliever, there's no rush to add him now, meaning we should have him available at full health!

The guy plays the game the right way, and has plenty of experience pitching in races and anchoring staffs. Nothing but upside with this deal - have to love it!

Definitely a project. It will be interesting to see how much velocity he can get back.

When we last saw him he apparently topped out at 81, but flashed the changeup he is so well known for. On a positive note, he is nowhere near through with rehab and is well known to be targeting a mid-year return date.

Although he didn't pitch at all last year, he sure looked like the old Johan in 2012.

Great signing. High reward low risk. Hope I get to see him later this week.

The beauty is that he knows how to pitch and has great control. So having full velocity isn't as big of a deal. Especially since he has that change up. If nothing else, he functions as another pitching coach for the younger guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at first skeptical of the notion that Johan is one of the all-time greats, but he had a ten year run from 2002-2010 when he won two Cy Young awards and three ERA titles and never had an ERA+ lower than 129. He finished in the top 10 in Cy Young voting for six straight years.

His 139 career wins won't help his Hall of Fame case, but he was clearly one of the best pitchers in baseball for an extended period, so he should at least get some HOF consideration even if he never pitches effectively in the majors again.

I think the analogy to Jim Thome is apt. Johan may or may not have something left in the tank, but I like the idea of him being in the organization as someone that our young pitchers can learn from.

The beauty is that he knows how to pitch and has great control. So having full velocity isn't as big of a deal. Especially since he has that change up. If nothing else, he functions as another pitching coach for the younger guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he could teach that change-up to Matusz he would be worth the contract whether he pitches or not...

Santana is really only a good fit here because he would probably be an above average 5th starter, and the fact that we have a little bit of flexibility in the back of our rotation via trade or a move to the bullpen for Norris. It works for us pretty well at the right price.

Archived