Great Markakis article by Brit

wildcard

"He was fortunate enough to be healthy until the last couple years, when he got his hamate [bone] broke from Sabathia -- which we are still [angry] about. It's a testament. I looked at his numbers, [and] that pushes me to go out there and play every day. "

AJ

Minor point, but the pitch from Sabathia broke Nick's thumb, not his hamate bone. The hamate injury occurred in May, Sabathia broke his thumb in September.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, the last two years, he hasn't been able to have a normal offseason due to his injury issues.

True and when a player is younger and more natural athletic abilities, they probably can get away with less training, but as their body ages, they need to hit the training program.

Also, with Brady around, I suspect he has been a big influence too.

How is it a reach?

They are admitting he is working harder this year then before, that means, he could have worked harder in prior years. Right? They are not saying "Nick is healthy and could resume his old off season workouts."

It is a contract year and Nick stepped it up.

Still looks like a reach to me. It doesn't say he didn't have an off-season program prior. In his own words he said he felt he needed to adjust this off-season because he was a year and a half behind because of injuries.

If Nick's love of Baltimore is to believed, I wonder if he's willing to restructure his contract for an extension.

Obviously there's no way he'll get anywhere close to 17 million next semester (even if he has the best season of his career, IMO). He's 30 and, assuming his injuries are behind him, a four year deal would make sense.

Assuming Nick bounces back and puts up respectable numbers is something like 4/40 or even 4/50 too much?

Obviously he is replaceable, but it's good to see some home-grown guys in the lineup every day and I think it'd be great to try to find a way for Markakis to be an Oriole for a long time.

4/40 would be the top for me personally. I'd like to keep Nick and would make the offer. He's not going to get a better deal elsewhere imo

If Nick's love of Baltimore is to believed, I wonder if he's willing to restructure his contract for an extension.

He has made it very clear that he would.

"I tell people all the time, I've made a good bit of money already. It's not about the money, it's about being somewhere, wanting to be somewhere, being comfortable and taking pride in being with that team and that organization. I think the motivation for me this year is being healthy, feeling strong and going out there and helping this team win a World Series."

Okay, so there are going to be those who read that and think Markakis is just saying what you're supposed to say while your agent works behind the scene to get you a contract extension, but it's really not like that.

Markakis has been telling people for the last year or two how important it is to him to spend his entire career with the same organization.

"In a perfect world, I'd like to [stay here],'' he said. "A lot of people play this game for the wrong reasons. A lot of people play it where the money is. I get a bigger satisfaction being with the same team your whole career. Not many people get to do that. Not many people get to say that. To be able to do that would be a pretty cool experience. It would be something special to me."

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-02-19/sports/bs-sp-schmuck-orioles-column-0220-20140219_1_nick-markakis-orioles-ed-smith-stadium

I think this will be more about whether the Orioles want to keep him, than about whether Nick wants to stay. It's not clear if the O's have the money to pay Markakis -- even at a healthy home team discount -- and keep the other guys they want to keep.

C_o_C, I think you're dead on here. He slipped from his 2007/2008 productivity at the years of his life when he should have been entering his most productive seasons. Maybe he got a bit complacent, we'll never know. But if he's healthy and if he wants to prove something, and it (coincidentally) happens to possibly be the final year of his contract, all the better. Show us what you can do, Nick. I would be more than happy to have him be the team veteran who leads us into the postseason.

Still looks like a reach to me. It doesn't say he didn't have an off-season program prior. In his own words he said he felt he needed to adjust this off-season because he was a year and a half behind because of injuries.

I never said "he didn't have an off-season program" I am not accusing him of being Jesus Montero. Just someone who didn't work as hard as he could. Not really sure why the very idea that Nick like to take it easy in the offseason to hunt and spend time with his family is met with such hostility.

There is certainly no hostility on my end. As hard as he could is pretty nebulous and speculative. That is just my opinion.

If he is working harder now then in years past then obviously he could have worked harder in years past. How is that nebulous? How is that speculative?

I never said "he didn't have an off-season program" I am not accusing him of being Jesus Montero. Just someone who didn't work as hard as he could. Not really sure why the very idea that Nick like to take it easy in the offseason to hunt and spend time with his family is met with such hostility.

There is also the question of whether he was doing the right type of workouts.

"I just completely switched trainers and everything about my offseason program was completely different from what I've been doing in the past,'' he said. "It's more along the lines of Chris Davis' program. Nolie's [Nolan Reimold] been doing it. It's kind of what they've brought here. We've been following it and everybody's been getting positive results out of it, so we'll see where it takes us."

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-02-19/sports/bs-sp-schmuck-orioles-column-0220-20140219_1_nick-markakis-orioles-ed-smith-stadium

At this point, I have no interest in speculating about what Nick did or didn't do in past offseasons. I just hope that what he did this last offseason yields the desired results. Nick at the top of his game would be a huge asset to our lineup. Let's not forget:

2007: .366 wOBA, 121 OPS+

2008: .392 wOBA, 136 OPS+

2012: .359 wOBA, 126 OPS+

Just to put it in perspective, Adam Jones' highest wOBA was .361 and his best OPS+ was 125. Nick at the top of his game is a very, very good player.

Yeah, I re-read it and I don't see where it says he is working harder than he has in the past.
The focus is on core strength and balance, two key components of an offseason like Markakis has never had before
Coming off the worst season of his career, Markakis is confident he has never been this strong, not even close.
There were no breaks, even for the holidays. When Flaherty, who is dating Markakis' sister-in-law came to North Carolina for the family Thanksgiving, the pair were in the gym for "hours," said Christina Markakis. "And they didn't miss a day."
I think I'm more motivated

That doesn't sound like someone who is working harder to you?

Or is your theory that he worked just as hard before, including the holidays, but just in a really inefficient manner?

There is also the question of whether he was doing the right type of workouts.

At this point, I have no interest in speculating about what Nick did or didn't do in past offseasons. I just hope that what he did this last offseason yields the desired results. Nick at the top of his game would be a huge asset to our lineup. Let's not forget:

2007: .366 wOBA, 121 OPS+

2008: .392 wOBA, 136 OPS+

2012: .359 wOBA, 126 OPS+

Just to put it in perspective, Adam Jones' highest wOBA was .361 and his best OPS+ was 125. Nick at the top of his game is a very, very good player.

Never said he was a bad player.

Not even once.

Even if I did call him replacement level last week. :P

IF Nick bounces back to his career averages, Andre Ethier would be a pretty good comp. Solid lefty hitter, high OBP with some pop, mediocre defender, averaging about 2 WAR per year. A lot of people thought the Dodgers overpaid, but Ethier got 5 years, $85 million at age 30. I would have a hard time justifying 4/$50, but that's what he will be asking for...IF he bounces back to his career averages.

Archived