MLB continues to be information technology idiots.

tntoriole

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It doesn't keep them from charging 130 dollars for a "premium" service. Much more than other commercial streaming services (particularly given the blackout issues and the technology glitches.)
It's roughly $18 a month (Spring Training til October)...and it is once again streaming live content. There is a huge difference in streaming live content and what Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu etc. streams. There will be some performance degradation.

The Blackout rules have nothing to do with MLB.tv. Actually if there is anything from an I.T. perspective that is "wrong" its pretty simple to circumvent their Blackout restrictions...but even that is not something you could hold against them.

MLB is the only sport that does technology right. They are light years above the competition. The NFL is living in the stone age, comparatively.

I think that is kind of on purpose. I've used their NFL Gamepass service and it's pretty comparable. It's only for European countries, free in the Netherlands. I don't think they want to mess up their deal with DirectTV just yet, when/if DirectTV decides its no longer worth it the pay the NFL for Sunday ticket, I think you will see an expansion of NFL streaming services.

I agree with most of the people here, I've been a subscriber since I moved to NYC 4 years ago and haven't had much of an issue. I had bandwidth issues at my old apartment because the internet speed wasn't fast enough to stream HD, but that's hardly the fault of MLB.

MLB really should change the blackout rules though (not to derail the thread). Comcast in a large section of central/southern/southwest VA doesn't carry MASN, yet the O's are blacked out. So basically you have to get DirecTV or... just not watch the games. Those were dark years for me. Fortunately, the team was terrible then.

MLB is the only sport that does technology right. They are light years above the competition. The NFL is living in the stone age, comparatively.

Wha????? You call and order and you can see ANY NFL game, ANY where. Or Red Zone. MLB is a spider's web of in-market out-market totally arbitrary rules on who they DEIGN worthy enough to see the games! Please Bud... can I have some more?

So Gameday is the only option tonight for the game. But, of course, a mysterious ad black box gets stuck on the Game Day screen in the bottom of the second and you can't get past it, click out of it, etc. It stays on the screen forever and finally when the Game Day box comes back up, the first message is AJ Pierzynski flies out, but it says "two outs". This type of function you could accomplish by just text messaging, but, no Gameday has all the extraneous nonsense on the screen that also freezes, doesn't work, etc.

After the inning is over, Gameday finally puts up the Lough triple and throw out at home and the next out for three out, but it does so long after they have occurred and then immediately goes back to commercial time. God, what an awful nightmare design of a program.

So Gameday is the only option tonight for the game. But, of course, a mysterious ad black box gets stuck on the Game Day screen in the bottom of the second and you can't get past it, click out of it, etc. It stays on the screen forever and finally when the Game Day box comes back up, the first message is AJ Pierzynski flies out, but it says "two outs". This type of function you could accomplish by just text messaging, but, no Gameday has all the extraneous nonsense on the screen that also freezes, doesn't work, etc.

I also have a mac and MLB TV. Next Def hasn't worked for Macs, for the past 2 versions of the OS. You can find work arounds to get it installed via google. However, by checking out MLB TV's forums, you'll learn that NEX Def will no longer be used after this ST. So that headache will be over. That said, I've never had all the issues you are describing. However, I also use my phone/tablet far more often for MLB TV.

It is the nickel and dime advertising presence and the pretentiousness of the Game Day design that drive me nuts- Gameday is three hitters behind on the audio broadcast before finally the endless commercial on Game Day stops and puts up all three hitter results simultaneously (funny, the commercial always streams perfectly, imagine that.).

It is the nickel and dime advertising presence and the pretentiousness of the Game Day design that drive me nuts- Gameday is three hitters behind on the audio broadcast before finally the endless commercial on Game Day stops and puts up all three hitter results simultaneously (funny, the commercial always streams perfectly, imagine that.).

If you are using Safari, try using extensions. Here's a link for one called Ad Block.

https://getadblock.com/

Well "next-def" has been problematic for me at times. When I switched to chrome instead of IE my problems mostly went away. No computer wiz but I'm thinking it may be an issue with your mac browser, but I have not tried to use next-def yet this year.

Archived