Orioles Searching Outside Organization for Backup C (per Roch)

canonfaz

One thing about the way Matt takes away the running game that I never hear discussed is how infrequently teams attempt to run on him. I ran the numbers myself from last year, using catchers data on espn.com. Here's how the AL catchers (who caught enough innings to qualify) stacked up last season in innings caught per stolen base attempt (higher number is better).

Wieters 17.66

Perez 15.70

Stewart 15.62

Pierzynski 13.77

Arencibia 12.76

Salty 8.88

Ianetta 8.87

In other words, with Wieters behind the plate the O's have nearly an extra two innings between stole base attempts compared with any other team. So many bad things can happen when a steal is attempted, I think this stat is a significant part of MW's value.

What's interesting about these numbers as well is that Royals (Perez), Yankees (Stewart), and Rangers (Pierzynski) all had better staff WHIP's than the Orioles. So it would seem as if there was more opportunity to run on Wieters as well.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's interesting about these numbers as well is that Royals (Perez), Yankees (Stewart), and Rangers (Pierzynski) all had better staff WHIP's than the Orioles. So it would seem as if there was more opportunity to run on Wieters as well.

Yes, there was. Also, don't forget that Wieters is probably the best pitch-blocker in the league. The O's had the fewest wild pitches of any team by a wide margin and Wieters only allowed 28 WP and 5 PB all season in 1201 innings behind the plate. By comparison, Gold Glove winner Salvador Perez allowed 49 WP and 3 PB in 1115 innings.

Yes, there was. Also, don't forget that Wieters is probably the best pitch-blocker in the league. The O's had the fewest wild pitches of any team by a wide margin and Wieters only allowed 28 WP and 5 PB all season in 1201 innings behind the plate. By comparison, Gold Glove winner Salvador Perez allowed 49 WP and 3 PB in 1115 innings.

Which is why, weak bat and all, Matt is still an elite catcher in MLB, of course, some people can't get over the hype and how Matt was supposed to be the next Johnny Bench.

Oh well.

Which is why, weak bat and all, Matt is still an elite catcher in MLB, of course, some people can't get over the hype and how Matt was supposed to be the next Johnny Bench.

Oh well.

Matt is a great catcher, not many will dispute that. The problem lies in that he has Boras as his agent, and Boras will want Matt to be paid like he is a $20 million player, which he is not.

It's Boras who is inflating Matt's ego and that perceived annual salary demand is what is making many of us wish not to resign him.

Matt is a great catcher, not many will dispute that. The problem lies in that he has Boras as his agent, and Boras will want Matt to be paid like he is a $20 million player, which he is not.

It's Boras who is inflating Matt's ego and that perceived annual salary demand is what is making many of us wish not to resign him.

Many on this forum would dispute it, remember last year, when the thread was started that any AAA catcher could replace Matt?

One thing about the way Matt takes away the running game that I never hear discussed is how infrequently teams attempt to run on him. I ran the numbers myself from last year, using catchers data on espn.com. Here's how the AL catchers (who caught enough innings to qualify) stacked up last season in innings caught per stolen base attempt (higher number is better).

Wieters 17.66

Perez 15.70

Stewart 15.62

Pierzynski 13.77

Arencibia 12.76

Salty 8.88

Ianetta 8.87

In other words, with Wieters behind the plate the O's have nearly an extra two innings between stole base attempts compared with any other team. So many bad things can happen when a steal is attempted, I think this stat is a significant part of MW's value.

Nice post!

Many on this forum would dispute it, remember last year, when the thread was started that any AAA catcher could replace Matt?

I don't remember the thread, but I would guess the thread starter was not speaking for the majority.

Really? Many? Or a loud significant minority? I doubt you could find more than 2 people on here who think any AAA catcher could effectively replace Wieters.

Wieters 17.66

Perez 15.70

Stewart 15.62

Pierzynski 13.77

Arencibia 12.76

Salty 8.88

Ianetta 8.87

Nice work. Thank you.

BTW, I like the idea of Clevenger as the backup. He can hit a little, can fill in at first base if needed and is not horrid behind the dish. as much as Wieters plays back there, I don't see a real reason they can't go with Clevenger s the back up.

Really? Many? Or a loud insignificant minority? I doubt you could find more than 2 people on here who think any AAA catcher could effectively replace Wieters.

We all get frustrated with Matt. Anyone who thinks that is just hating ;)

That logic seems pretty flawed. For one, there is no rate of efficiency. Some staffs just throw more WP's that aren't necessarily catchable. DRS's "rsbc" component which includes 'base runner kills and advances" actually had Perez ahead of Wieters by 2 runs last year. Among other things it compensates for pitching staff holds (TTP's) as part of the baserunner kills calculation. That said, I do think Wieters long arms probably do prevent some WP's. On the other hand I think he doesn't set up well (nor is he particularly mobile) and uses his arms to reach instead of frame pitches.

Not just directed at Frobby here, but some questions for all you "Wieters is a great defensive catcher" guys:

1. Do you think Wieters is particularly great at pouncing on slow rollers/bunts?

2. Is he particularly good at snap throws to 1st/3rd resulting in a number of out plays per year that some other top catchers in the league provide (outside of SB kill rate)?

3. Do you think his SB kill rate would be (at least marginally) lower (and attempt rate higher) without the TTP emphasis?

4. Do you think he sets up well and frames pitches well? Does he remind you of a guy on roller skates back there behind the plate?

5. Do you think his game calling skills are superior to other catchers around the league?

6. Do you think his "superior hard work ethic" has resulted in tangible improvements to our pitching staffs performance?

To be honest I'd say no to most of those. I don't see a great defensive catcher other than his arm/kill rate which is clearly above average.

I'm not buying the "Buck thinks he's great" argument either. The Teagarden and Clevenger stuff should dispell that nonsense (at least in this area). Awhile back I posted a thread about Rick Dempsey calling out Wieter's as needing to do a lot of work in all areas of his defense (besides throwing). I'm calling my Rick Dempsey card on this one to all you Buck/Wieters lovers.

Archived