Family of 10-year-old files lawsuit against Baltimore Orioles

sevastras

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Contributory Negligence Law has been around longer then lobbying and propaganda as you call it. It's been on the books since 1847.

Contrib is stupid and antiquated. It is the law in only 4 states (Md, VA, NC, AL) and DC. The rest of the civilized world uses comparative negligence. But you are right that contrib isn't changing until the legislature decides it should.

If you want to talk about morals then maybe the player who hit the ball should pay? I'm sure he can afford it.

7 million USD (2013)

Coco Crisp, Salary

Maybe Crisp should sue MLB, the Orioles, and the little girl over the mental anguish caused by the guilt he experienced over injuring her just by doing what he was supposed to do. She should have read the damn signs!

(Yes, I'm just kidding.)

Maybe Crisp should sue MLB, the Orioles, and the little girl over the mental anguish caused by the guilt he experienced over injuring her just by doing what he was supposed to do. She should have read the damn signs!

(Yes, I'm just kidding.)

Does Crisp even know about it? Probably not. If he really felt guilty he would come forward and pay for the medical expenses.

Does Crisp even know about it? Probably not. If he really felt guilty he would come forward and pay for the medical expenses.

Maybe he wanted to pay for her expenses but the MLB Player's Association wouldn't let him because it would set legal precedent.

(I'm not sure if I'm kidding. I hope I am.)

No one is talking about what we can do to prevent this in the future? Maybe put up nets during batting practice? I guess there is always going to be danger on the lower level.

Put up nets? Seriously? Why stop at BP, why not net for the whole game? Wonder how many fans would go to game and sit in the outfield behind the net 81 games of the year knowing they won't get one single chance a nabbing a home run?

I understand a net behind home plate. You are literally 20-30 behind the plate and a ball jumps off the bat very quickly so there is no reaction time. But if you are gonna neuter the experience why build stadiums, why not just play on a corn field in the middle of Iowa in the middle of January while the fans watch the game on TV?

No one is talking about what we can do to prevent this in the future? Maybe put up nets during batting practice? I guess there is always going to be danger on the lower level.

She was on the flag court 390 feet away from the batter.

She had 15 titanium plates inserted into her face.

Initial report last fall: She can't wear a helmet or ride a bike for the rest of her life.

Aug. 27, 2013: http://belair.patch.com/groups/sports/p/local-familys-night-at-the-ballpark-has-nightmare-ending

Contrib is stupid and antiquated. It is the law in only 4 states (Md, VA, NC, AL) and DC. The rest of the civilized world uses comparative negligence. But you are right that contrib isn't changing until the legislature decides it should.

I am not saying if it is or isn't but rather pointing out it's been law since 1847.. long before propaganda and lobbyist crying foul about Tort law.

Put up nets? Seriously? Why stop at BP, why not net for the whole game? Wonder how many fans would go to game and sit in the outfield behind the net 81 games of the year knowing they won't get one single chance a nabbing a home run?

I understand a net behind home plate. You are literally 20-30 behind the plate and a ball jumps off the bat very quickly so there is no reaction time. But if you are gonna neuter the experience why build stadiums, why not just play on a corn field in the middle of Iowa in the middle of January while the fans watch the game on TV?

I am sure most people don't go to the game to catch a home run. You can get a basball for cheaper than a ticket.

An interesting hypothetical question would be, if they were at their local baseball field watching a game and the same thing happened would they sue?

My opinion is that the parents were negligent not watching their child or watching the field to keep an eye on what's going on. Every year there are numerous players that are hit during batting practice and games so it's not like it only happens to fans.

I wouldn't call the suit frivolous. I don't agree with it, but if the family is only seeking $75k they're obviously not trying to cash in BIG time. As a fan of the team, you would like for them to step out and offer to cover the girls medical expenses. At the same time, it would set a precedence for every money hungry person to come out of the woodwork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spot on. Exactly what I was thinking.

Claiming no liability doesn't absolve you of liability.

No, but it's also an assumption of the risk issue. Everyone knows that it is a possibility that you can get hit by a ball at a ballpark. There are even signs posted at every walkway well.

I was going to post the same thing. As my law school professor use to say, contributory negligence is the law "in Maryland and three other uncivilized states." I really can't believe the legislature hasn't gotten rid of it yet. It's idiotic.

Archived