Scout tells SI: Jimenez overrated, Tillman underrated

Frobby

And.to the other part of this thread. Just because.Tillman isnt talked about.alot in the media doesnt.mean he is underrated. Hes the Os opening.day starter two years running. Im sure the Os organization and fan base know his value and if the outside.world doesnt, then good.

Do you have a problem with your "period" key? They seem to be in some weird places.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if Schoop isn't ready to take over 2nd our season is lost? Seriously? Nice review. I know it's been popular to doubt the Orioles since their Cinderella run in 2012. And I think Buck wants the doubters to keep doubting. But as a fan I get a little tired of hearing how overrated the Orioles are. Bring the pain boys!

I think Kevin Gausman is going to play a huge role in the Orioles success this year. I see him returning to the team in June and being dominant in the second half.
I agree with the assessment of the two pitchers. Tillman keeps moving toward being an ace and Jimenez's inconsistency will make it hard for him to break a 4.00 ERA on a yearly basis.

Not sure about the record. There is a lot more that goes into that.

I agree with Gausman coming back and being a big asset.

So far it seems like Chen spending the off season recovering from knee surgery may not have allowed his to work on his strength the way he needed to help him get better.

Somewhere between June and the end of July we'll get our first look at the new and improved Kevin Gausman. He will have had short outings to keep his innings limited at Norfolk so we will be able to maximize his efforts leading up to the PO.

By the time we do reach the PO he will be our most dominant pitcher.

I may be wrong but I think that's the complete opposite of what happened. He was injured early on. Had trouble when he came back but Cleveland's PC made a slight change and he had a great second half.

No, Jimenez started having problems in 2011 when a blister popped on his thumb and got infected. He moved to Cleveland in a trade. Tim Belcher, Ruben Niebla, and Scott Radinsky pushed Jimenez to change his mechanics to match the over compensation Jimenez was doing to make up for putting less pressure on his thumb when throwing. So they forced him to slow down, change his arm angle and so on. Changing too much got Jimenez to over think and lose confidence.

Mikey Callaway (2013 Pitching coach and current) sat down with Jimenez in the offseason and Callaway told Jimenez to go back to what felt right, speed up his delivery back to what he was doing as a kid and making it to through minors. So Jimenez became less of a pitcher but more of a thrower again.

No, Jimenez started having problems in 2011 when a blister popped on his thumb and got infected. He moved to Cleveland in a trade. Tim Belcher, Ruben Niebla, and Scott Radinsky pushed Jimenez to change his mechanics to match the over compensation Jimenez was doing to make up for putting less pressure on his thumb when throwing. So they forced him to slow down, change his arm angle and so on. Changing too much got Jimenez to over think and lose confidence.

Mikey Callaway (2013 Pitching coach and current) sat down with Jimenez in the offseason and Callaway told Jimenez to go back to what felt right, speed up his delivery back to what he was doing as a kid and making it to through minors. So Jimenez became less of a pitcher but more of a thrower again.

Mechanically, Jimenez is a mess, but there are a small number of guys who make a career out of "unique" deliveries. I don't like the fact that he probably is closer to a thrower than a pitcher but I've never considered him anything more than a #3 guy.

If he's better than that for the life of the contract for which the Orioles have paid I'll be surprised.

Mechanically, Jimenez is a mess, but there are a small number of guys who make a career out of "unique" deliveries. I don't like the fact that he probably is closer to a thrower than a pitcher but I've never considered him anything more than a #3 guy.

If he's better than that for the life of the contract for which the Orioles have paid I'll be surprised.

Mechanically, I don't care if Jimenez is a mess. If he pitches like he did at Colorado before the blister and after Mike Callaway put him back to what he was in Colorado he'd be worth his contract 2 to 3 times over.

Nothing wrong with a thrower who does a little pitching. Jimenez does that very well. So let's not assume he doesn't have the ability to pitch like a #1 guy because he does and has.

Mechanically, I don't care if Jimenez is a mess. If he pitches like he did at Colorado before the blister and after Mike Callaway put him back to what he was in Colorado he'd be worth his contract 2 to 3 times over.

Nothing wrong with a thrower who does a little pitching. Jimenez does that very well. So let's not assume he doesn't have the ability to pitch like a #1 guy because he does and has.

Oh yeah, he has the ability. That is what I was saying, if he's more comfortable that way then fine. He just hasn't been consistent over his career.

Oh yeah, he has the ability. That is what I was saying, if he's more comfortable that way then fine. He just hasn't been consistent over his career.

He's only be really inconsistent when the Indians tried tinkering with him. 2011 and 2012 season. Other then those years he was progressing as future #1. Yes, he over shot his ability at the time in 2010. But he was coming together pretty well.

Wins and losses is a BS stat, we all know that...I can also argue that the blue jays and yankees offenses will be better this year than last. Not to.mention last year was Hammels second.or third.year in the Os uni and ballpark...so I would hope his third year there would be better than.Ubaldos first.

But we could go back and forth forever, but the point is Ubaldo was brought in to give.us depth and stability to the rotation not to be compared to guys we let walk. Its better to have lost Hammel and.got Ubaldo rather than losing Hammel and not getting anyone.

I can't disagree with your last sentence, of course that is true. However, I would have liked to kept Hammel even if we did sign Ubaldo. I think we would have had one heck of a pitching staff had we done that with depth out the ying yang.

Archived