Reminded of Maier again.

Bahama O's Fan

See, but it needs no forgiving. Because it was never a mistake.

It's fine if you don't like dog and pony show. I'm not saying I do, either. I'm just saying he really isn't doing anything wrong. And if it were an O's fan doing the same, we would not be having this debate.

If it was an O's fan, we'd be embarrassed by it. We wouldn't make excuses for him, or worse...claim that his behavior was A-OK.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See, but it needs no forgiving. Because it was never a mistake.

It's fine if you don't like dog and pony show. I'm not saying I do, either. I'm just saying he really isn't doing anything wrong. And if it were an O's fan doing the same, we would not be having this debate.

Some of us would.

I hold no hard feelings towards the kid; any kid would do that. I am upset that the ump made a bad call that turned the tide of the series. I was born in 78' date=' and didn't get introduced to O's baseball until I was almost 10. The mid-90's was my first taste of winning O's baseball. It was soon gone and we went into a downward spiral for many years. Only in 2012 did we start to come back to life properly. Sorry, but I feel (right or not) that one play changed our destiny for a long time and exposed us to years of losing (that's probably not a rational thought, but what fans are rational?)[/quote']

After a number of years have passed I harbor no hard feelings towards the little punk either. (:laughlol:) but I honestly blame the umpire more than a 12 year old kid. I also blame the Yankees for not having an offset to keep the fans from getting that close. It seems to me they are promoting fan interference. That is what irritates me the most.

Eh, you're probably right actually.

If Maier's act was different, I think a lot of us would soften our feelings considerably. I certainly get the impulse to go for the ball in that situation and if teams are going to build stadiums that allow something like that to happen then they should be held partially responsible. Human behavior is fairly predictable in a situation like that.

I never sat close enough for that to even be a factor. I have no idea if my dad ever told me specifically that. I'm sure at some point I figured it out.

I don't "like" Maier, and never said I did. I dislike that we're holding 12 year olds accountable for wanting a baseball. I think that is so sad.

To me this didn't make me as mad as every Yankee fan's reaction to it, which was basically "This kid is a hero"

If Maier's act was different, I think a lot of us would soften our feelings considerably. I certainly get the impulse to go for the ball in that situation and if teams are going to build stadiums that allow something like that to happen then they should be held partially responsible. Human behavior is fairly predictable in a situation like that.

It's the "Folk Hero" joined at the hip with Jeter stuff I abhor. More Yankee fans know his name than the names of their starting third-baseman and number three starter. Enough publicity for the fellow. Stop giving him the bully pulpit to continue to enlarge his "brand.' It's like he's a Kardashian.

To me this didn't make me as mad as every Yankee fan's reaction to it, which was basically "This kid is a hero"

That is exactly right. They are far worse than the kid, as they made him into what he is, a glorified cheater instead of just a dumb 12 year old kid going for a ball.

It's the "Folk Hero" joined at the hip with Jeter stuff I abhor. More Yankee fans know his name than the names of their starting third-baseman and number three starter. Enough publicity for the fellow. Stop giving him the bully pulpit to continue to enlarge his "brand.' It's like he's a Kardashian.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Even Jeffrey Maier.

:D

That is exactly right. They are far worse than the kid, as they made him into what he is, a glorified cheater instead of just a dumb 12 year old kid going for a ball.

So. It is really the fault of the family and community he grew up in and his actions since the fateful event are no more his fault than the action of an unsupervised minor? Nurture rather than nature? I think there is a thread about kids at the games somewhere. I'll have to look for it.

Tarasco gave a quick speech to the camp, then question-and-answer time began. Somehow, out of the 200-odd kids assembled in the grass, Tarasco's eyes settled on Tom. Tom! Tom was a Roman emperor at the Colosseum with a man's life hanging on a gesture of his thumb. Hi Mr. Tarasco, Jeff says you're a piece of (crap) and that he would like to fight you. Does that make you angry? That's all it would have taken.

10 year old, 12 year old who cares. There are signs all around the ballpark telling You not to interfere.

6 year old, 7 year old who doesn't care about baseball, I could understand. But a 10-12 year old who plays ball should have known that reaching across the wall was probably not what was supposed to be done.

But guys, that was over 15 years ago. Get over it, and stop publishing these delicious tears.

Archived