What's Up With Lough?

olehippi

I am still a David Lough fan. He got off to a terrible start at the plate, but he is certainly a excellent outfielder, in fact the best outfielder on our team. And he has hit much better lately. I hope Buck takes advantage of DLoughs speed and defense by getting him in the lineup a little more down the stretch.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But part of the reason for Lough's "resurgence" IS the small number of at bats. He is basically only getting at bats in the extreme optimal matchup.

That said, I hope Lough can contribute significantly in August and September. Lord knows the O's need several more productive hitters right now. I hope his "resurgence" is more than just "perfect" match ups.

We have no idea if the bolded is true. That is your supposition. He hit playing regularly last year for the Royals. Would you say that if he had gotten off to a hot start and then gone into a slump?

The only way we will know if he can hit playing regularly is to play him regularly. That's tough to do during a pennant run with so many in the lineup struggling. And if Cruz and Pearce start hitting again, he won't get the chance. Catch 22.

I am still a David Lough fan. He got off to a terrible start at the plate, but he is certainly a excellent outfielder, in fact the best outfielder on our team. And he has hit much better lately. I hope Buck takes advantage of DLoughs speed and defense by getting him in the lineup a little more down the stretch.

I agree. Part of good managing is putting guys in the best position to succeed. Taking advantage of a bit streakiness with the right timing is part of that process.

I actually like Lough also. Maybe his terrible offense was as much an abberation as Pearce hitting like an all-star for a while and now reverting back to mediocre man?

Did they even announce Lough was in LF during the 9th on the TV broadcast? ;)

Saw him running across to make the final catch and had no idea he was in...although it was expected.

They did. I believe he entered the game in the top of the 8th and was announced then.

Once again he needs to play more. He's about the only player on this team that can steal a base.

I don't disagree that I'd play him more. But in Lough's entire MLB career he's stolen 13 bases and been caught 6 times, which is below break-even. He's cost his teams runs compared to just standing on first base.

I don't disagree that I'd play him more. But in Lough's entire MLB career he's stolen 13 bases and been caught 6 times, which is below break-even. He's cost his teams runs compared to just standing on first base.

And stealing a base is often over rated. We just got so used to raving about base stealers here ... well, because Brian.

Got picked off to end a ballgame too--I think with someone good at the plate (either Nick or Adam).

• 8 months later...

o

What's up with Lough ???

Why the seeming secrecy about what is going on with David Lough? Showalter refused to discuss it. Odd. Is he hurt or is it something else?

I don't know what was up when you started this thread last year, but I think that I DO KNOW that right about now, David Dennis Lough is probably a very happy boy. :boogie:

Archived