vs. BLUE JAYS, 4/23

OFFNY

Eh...Cruz and Jones got some air under theirs, but I wouldn't say they were crushed. They certainly weren't hit on a line, and the OFers got to them easily (i.e., had plenty of time to track them down). Plus, given where they're playing...can't exactly blame a breeze for keeping the balls in the yard.

They were 5 feet from being HR. I'd say they got a pitch to hit. Maybe just didn't square it up properly. Nothing wrong with the pitches they chose to swing at.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They were 5 feet from being HR. I'd say they got a pitch to hit. Maybe just didn't square it up properly. Nothing wrong with the pitches they chose to swing at.

It's really just Cruz's AB that bothered me...and only then because he followed Markakis' super-brief appearance. Yes, he's a power hitter, but he's also the #2 hitter, and he contributed to a quick inning. Jones showed some selectivity, so that wasn't a problem, IMO.

And...was that a four-pitch second inning?

Yeah. See. It's just hitting. First pitch fastballs and weak groundballs. Frustrating when they make it so easy for the opposing pitcher... but def fun when they pound him too... Always gonna be a roller coaster ride with this team. That's the bottom line.

It's really just Cruz's AB that bothered me...and only then because he followed Markakis' super-brief appearance. Yes, he's a power hitter, but he's also the #2 hitter, and he contributed to a quick inning. Jones showed some selectivity, so that wasn't a problem, IMO.

And...was that a four-pitch second inning?

Are you seriously calling out Nelson Cruz of all people? He's been one of our most patient and solid hitters. Is the dude NEVER allowed to swing early? Who cares if Nick went out on first pitch. That means the pitch may be thinking the next batter may want to sit back- so first pitch could easily be the best one to smack. Crazy over criticizing players here. It's frustrating sometimes, but please try to have some perspective.

Archived