Batting third, and playing RF - Francisco Peguero

wildcard

I just wrote about Peguero in another thread but I had the opportunity to watch him play last night in Charlotte and boy does he look ready. The injury looks to be non-existent....he wasn't favoring anything from what I could tell. He went 1st to 3rd and easily could've scored on a double to the gap but Walling held him up. He had some sound hits and used all fields....I was impressed with how fluid he was in RF as well.

I sat by the 3rd base bag and told the 3b coach Walling, "time to bring up Peguero and Lombo and bring down Flaherty and Lough'. He looked over at me smiled and said, "it's not my decision". Sounds like DD is real close to making the change.

TDLUbBC.jpg

Sounds like he let you know you were talking to the wrong guy.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like he let you know you were talking to the wrong guy.

No-I think he agreed with my comments. Of course I know he's not the one to make the decision. Those minor league coaches enjoy interaction with the fans, especially ones that know about their team on the road.

So if it is obvious from the numbers that there is no lightning there, the O's evaluators must be pretty stupid not to se the obvious. Or maybe there is something there to see that hasn't been reflected in the numbers. Heresy. I know.

Whatever. Peguero will get a chance to prove himself with the O's or another organization. There is very little in his history to suggest that he will have much success at the ML level. He hasn't hit with any power in the minors for several years, etc., etc.

I don't think Peguero, Lough, or any of the other internal choices are very good, so I am not making an argument for Lough over Peguero. I just think it is not a very good strategy to base assessments on wishes and wants rather than the sometimes harsh reality of how players perform.

The reason Lough goes instead of Young is that Lough is not hitting. Its pretty simple.

It's not that simple, because Young isn't hitting, either. He has a .688 OPS. He's 6-for-27 in May with zero extra-base hits. And while Lough at least serves a purpose as a late-inning defensive replacement, Young has literally no other skills. His only role at this point is to DH against lefties, but Steve Pearce could easily take that job and be just as effective. So, again, why Young over Lough?

So if it is obvious from the numbers that there is no lightning there, the O's evaluators must be pretty stupid not to se the obvious. Or maybe there is something there to see that hasn't been reflected in the numbers. Heresy. I know.

Buried somewhere below your 24/7/365 sarcasm is the fact that the O's were never going to play Peguero over Lough, not until Lough had a Flaherty-like first 100 PAs. Their evaluation up until very recently was that Peguero was going to make a fine AAA guy for deep depth.

Buried somewhere below your 24/7/365 sarcasm is the fact that the O's were never going to play Peguero over Lough, not until Lough had a Flaherty-like first 100 PAs. Their evaluation up until very recently was that Peguero was going to make a fine AAA guy for deep depth.

Peguero was never healthy! How do you know this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not that simple, because Young isn't hitting, either. He has a .688 OPS. He's 6-for-27 in May with zero extra-base hits. And while Lough at least serves a purpose as a late-inning defensive replacement, Young has literally no other skills. His only role at this point is to DH against lefties, but Steve Pearce could easily take that job and be just as effective. So, again, why Young over Lough?

Lough is making you look bad. Ugly, ugly double play with the bases loaded and no one out by Lough. How much more in Buck going to take?

Lough is making you look bad. Ugly, ugly double play with the bases loaded and no one out by Lough. How much more in Buck going to take?

He is complete garbage with no value, who cares if we lose him! Enough!

Huh? How does that contradict anything I said in my post about Lough being a good defender?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Per <a href="https://twitter.com/NorfolkTides">@NorfolkTides</a> Francisco Peguero has been named the IL Player of the Week. Peguero hit .458 (11-24) with three doubles and four RBIs.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">May 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Per @NorfolkTides Francisco Peguero has been named the IL Player of the Week. Peguero hit .458 (11-24) with three doubles and four RBIs.? Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) May 26, 2014

He has done all he can to earn a promotion. Lough has been real successful in earning a demotion.

If you believe in competition, you promote him.

If you believe in stats only and don't watch the games including Norfolk you say he is no better than Lough and sit on your hands.

He has done all he can to earn a promotion. Lough has been real successful in earning a demotion.

If you believe in competition, you promote him.

If you believe in stats only and don't watch the games including Norfolk you say he is no better than Lough and sit on your hands.

Here's what I believe:

- When you're OPSing .443 in semi-regular playing time on Memorial Day it's probably time for a change.

- Competition is great. But a Peguero promotion will be all about rewarding a good few weeks, not expecting a good MLB player to come up.

- Sitting on your hands is often the best option.

- Playing the hot hand is a losing bet, either in gambling or baseball. When you bet on a .727 OPS AAA hitter to continue to OPS .830, the chances are that tomorrow is the day he goes back to .727.

- A .727 OPS player primarily in the PCL will be very lucky to OPS .650 in the majors.

- Averaging 22 walks per 600 PA is not good.

Archived