MLB.com: Monday Afternoon MacPhail Quotes

dkdc

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080128&content_id=2357816&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

BALTIMORE -- The Erik Bedard-to-Seattle rumors continue to have a life of their own, and the Orioles continue to deny any semblance of accuracy in the various reports.

Andy MacPhail, Baltimore's president of operations, reiterated Monday afternoon that there is no trade in place and that he's not sure where the rumors originated. That denial, issued in the face of repeated requests for comment, lends new perspective to a story that has steadily built over the last 36 hours.

"As I said last night, we don't have an agreement with Seattle or any other team," he said. "I'm not expecting anything in the next few days and I'd be surprised if anything developed in the next few days."

Edit, additional quote:

MacPhail dealt with the same issue weeks ago in regards to a potential trade of second baseman Brian Roberts to the Cubs. The executive stood his ground that time and punched holes in that rumor, and he seemed poised to repeat the process on Monday. As of now, Bedard is still Baltimore property and doesn't appear to be headed anywhere.

"I'm not terribly surprised," said MacPhail of the clamor surrounding his staff ace. "We've had this on other players before and there certainly has been talk about Bedard. It's not surprising that there has been speculation."

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although it's not wise to jump to conclusions until all of the facts are out, this certainly reeks of Roberts-to-Cubs fiasco. It is understandable that many O's fans will conclude based on the current facts that Angelos has meddled again.

What a frustrating team to follow.

Archived