Who Gets Next Save Opportunity?

Rene88

There's no way it can be Hunter. I too will have lost a ton of respect for Buck if he goes with Tommy again. JJ cost us the playoffs last year and I cant imagine Buck repeating this same mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oh goodness another blame of JJ for the reason the O's didn't make the playoff's.

Take into consideration if JJ hadn't saved those 50 games they wouldn't have

made the

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh goodness another blame of JJ for the reason the O's didn't make the playoff's.

made the

I agree, WTF is it with this place.

While this is the best board on the net, this place can drive somebody to drink, with the stupidity that pops up at times like this.

:2yay-thumb:

made the

I think that Buck's reliance on JJ later in the season killed the teams momentum. Momentum in baseball is hugely underrated with all the WAR obsessions.

Is it the only reason? No. Us not signing an established #5 and going with Arrietta and F Garcia for most of the season was the big culprit.

However, I do believe Buck's reliance on JJ at the end the of season when he had Krod was a huge contributor to us not making the playoffs last year.

And I am pretty certain I am not crazy:)

made the

playoffs. I just find it odd that one player can be blamed for a team not making

the playoffs. Or Buck being blamed because a pitcher that throws a bad pitch.

Baseball a team sport. Every team will have bad games. All players make

mistakes. Baseball is a sport of failure. If the player gets three hits out of ten at

bats he has a .300. That's just my take on things. I tend not to worry too much.

If its Tommy then so be it. If its Zach then so be it. Funny thing is once Zach

blows a few saves some fans will be fussing at him too. Cussing Buck for making

the move to Britton. IMO

playoffs. I just find it odd that one player can be blamed for a team not making

mistakes. Baseball is a sport of failure. If the player gets three hits out of ten at

bats he has a .300. That's just my take on things. I tend not to worry too much.

the move to Britton. IMO

I think most on here realized Hunter wouldn't be the answer and the only in-house option was Gausman that would work.

One person doesn't define a team's success, you are right. But last year, with all those blown saves by JJ, sucked any momentum from this team. At some point, just bringing in JJ time after time was salt in an open wound and poor decision-making.

the move to Britton. IMO

Baseball may be a team sport but scapegoating can be done all by yourself in the privacy of mom's basement. It doesn't take much skill; why even an eighth grader can do it as we've all seen time and time again.

Jokes aside, I think it's past the point where Hunter is having a bad game or two. It's not just a couple of mistakes, at the moment he's not making the pitches he needs to make. If the answer is to let him work it out in games that count then there are going to be some justifiably angry Orioles fans.

the move to Britton. IMO

I agree with the bold and its silly each time someone asserts this point. But so is pointing to JJ's 50 saves each time the topic is brought up. Fact is JJ's save percentage was very average last year and he had some horrific momentum killing blown saves. Buck stuck with JJ as closer as if it was JJ's birth right and seems to be leaning in the same manner when it comes to Hunter. No one was surprised, I suspect Buck included, about the result of the ninth inning last night. Perhaps a guy like Britton will fail in role but it is pretty ignorant (and disrespectful of the other 24 men on the roster) not to give it a shot.

What are you griping about? 20-17 and in first place? Sorry but 14 years of sorry baseball, allows me to appreciate the team is in first.

Yes losing sucks, but let's keep things in perspective.

This isn't the Cubs at 13-25 that we are talking about.

The record should be worse due to Hunter but we've been lucky. Not to mention if Buck pulled the plug on JJ last year then the record would look significantly better. Then there was that sickening Lee/Vlad 3/4 combo that despite both players being over the hill they never moved. Oh, and Hardy should never be a 2 hole hitter. He profiles as anything but a top of the lineup type of hitter, but yet a couple years ago there Hardy sat the entire year. I'm not ready to show up with torches on Eutaw street demanding Bucks head, not even close. I'm not trying to downplay our rather lucky position at the top of the AL East. I do think Buck should stop locking players into certain roles and keeping them there when it's obvious that they don't belong there.

The record should be worse due to Hunter but we've been lucky. Not to mention if Buck pulled the plug on JJ last year then the record would look significantly better. Then there was that sickening Lee/Vlad 3/4 combo that despite both players being over the hill they never moved. Oh, and Hardy should never be a 2 hole hitter. He profiles as anything but a top of the lineup type of hitter, but yet a couple years ago there Hardy sat the entire year. I'm not ready to show up with torches on Eutaw street demanding Bucks head, not even close. I'm not trying to downplay our rather lucky position at the top of the AL East. I do think Buck should stop locking players into certain roles and keeping them there when it's obvious that they don't belong there.

Okay, I play the game, you don't like Buck, so fire Buck.

Who would you replace him with, that could come in here and do a better job?

Remember there was a bunch of clowns between Davey and Buck here.

Okay, I play the game, you don't like Buck, so fire Buck.

Who would you replace him with, that could come in here and do a better job?

Remember there was a bunch of clowns between Davey and Buck here.

Sorry, I thought I made it clear that I don't want Buck fired. Buck is exactly who the Orioles needed to come in and jumpstart a whole new type of organization. That being said, he isn't perfect. I think if Buck changed his approach regarding loyalty then we'd win more games but I don't want another manager.

Sorry, I thought I made it clear that I don't want Buck fired. Buck is exactly who the Orioles needed to come in and jumpstart a whole new type of organization. That being said, he isn't perfect. I think if Buck changed his approach regarding loyalty then we'd win more games but I don't want another manager.

Sorry, your right, went back and reread this thread, I was also reading the fire the closer/manager thread.

Forget what the fans think about Buck letting Hunter come in to blow leads or lose. Forget about AJ swinging at balls most hitters wouldn't swing at in batting practice games. The other teams we are playing are laughing at us. Did you see them laughing? Buck wake up. They are laughing at you. TH is probably tipping his pitches and his continuing to shake off pitches is where it starts. Who is calling the pitches from the dugout? My guess is Wallace. If he is and our closer continues to fail when they hit his hanging curveballs he wants to throw how can you let him continue? Hunter has a signed contract to perform for the Orioles. If they tell him to throw heat inside he needs to throw heat inside or outside or whatever they tell him to do. End of comment. How does he have the nerve to tell them he doesn't want to throw the pitch they are calling. Come on! Isn't this called insubordination? Why doesn't somebody interview Wallace after one of these games. Skip Buck. It's the same old same old. Protect his players over and over. I wonder what would happen if the writers said they would prefer to have Wallace sit down with them after the game?

So it's that easy huh? Protecting his players? I am glad he does. Did you want a

manager that always throws his players under the bus? As for Tommy well he

made a mistake last night. And maybe Buck should have taken him out. But you

hindsight which is 20 20. But during the heat of the game maybe things aren't

always so clear cut. It is very easy for armchair managers like you and others to

complain about what Buck did after the fact. But if you were a manager for a

MLB team I believe you would things are situations not so clear cut during a gameIMO

So it's that easy huh? Protecting his players? I am glad he does. Did you want a

manager that always throws his players under the bus? As for Tommy well he

made a mistake last night. And maybe Buck should have taken him out. But you

hindsight which is 20 20. But during the heat of the game maybe things aren't

always so clear cut. It is very easy for armchair managers like you and others to

complain about what Buck did after the fact. But if you were a manager for a

MLB team I believe you would things are situations not so clear cut during a gameIMO

Remember Ray Miller throwing players under the bus? Wow. That was painful to watch. Ray Miller was such a great pitching coach and such an awful manager, hard to figure out. He was one heck of a pitching coach...wow.

Who says such a thing? Just ridiculous.

Probably the same guy that says "loyalty is for losers". I'm chalking it all up to the heat of the moment.

With a loss as painful as last night, stuff that usually stays (and is generally acceptable as excited utterances) in the game threads tends to spill over to the rest of the board.

Archived