Who Gets Next Save Opportunity?

Rene88

So it's that easy huh? Protecting his players? I am glad he does. Did you want a

manager that always throws his players under the bus? As for Tommy well he

made a mistake last night. And maybe Buck should have taken him out. But you

hindsight which is 20 20. But during the heat of the game maybe things aren't

always so clear cut. It is very easy for armchair managers like you and others to

complain about what Buck did after the fact. But if you were a manager for a

MLB team I believe you would things are situations not so clear cut during a gameIMO

I think pretty much all of us saw the fact that tommy hunter has not had a single 123 outing as a closer and has looked awful all season. Pretty much all of us can see TH did not belong in the closer role for some time now.

There is no hindsight with this. Its been obvious for some time now that Hunter should have never even been in the 9th inning last nighr.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think Tommy Hunter was an ideal closer, but even I didn't expect him to pitch this badly. His OPS against right handed batters is 1.050 as of today. He held righties below a .400 OPS last season. Clearly he is just not pitching well enough to be a closer or even a setup man right now. Move him into middle relief and let him right the ship there. Maybe he can move back into a late-inning role later this season.

I think Britton has earned a shot at the closer role, but once Gausman or Santana are deemed ready for the rotation, I'd give Miguel Gonzalez a shot. Gonzo has the right bulldog mentality and for his career he is much more effective in early innings:

ERA by Inning:

1st: 3.24

2nd: 3.42

3rd: 2.66

4th: 3.16

5th: 5.44

6th: 3.86

7th: 5.68

His stuff would play up in short bursts.

The Orioles and Mariners, who both have team bullpen ERAs that rank among the top half of the league, appear to be actively looking to make bullpen additions. Both teams were among at least ten teams that watched free agent Todd Coffey throw a bullpen for teams on Tuesday, and both are making serious attempts to sign Bell.

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2014/5/15/5720048/heath-bell-drawing-interest-likely-to-sign-soon-orioles-mariners

Potentially, your next closer

Archived