Reimold Rising?

mdbdotcom

Pearce is scary? Cruz looks like he's practicing for the haunted house on Halloween if that's the case.

Just in Houston series alone Pearce made a couple nice running catches and threw a runner out at second with a perfect strike after playing a ball perfectly off the wall. SSS this season and his athleticism notwithstanding, for his career he's average to above in LF according to DRS.

I get what your saying, I don't care what the stats say, my own two eyes tell me that Pearce is a guy you do not want out in LF everyday. The more time he spends out there the more he is exposed. Spot start, injury fill in etc....no problem, he is a guy I like cause he can fill in several spots and can periodically give you some decent output while filling in. In that regard I think he has more value than people realize. The fact he is better than Cruz in the OF there is not saying a whole lot IMO.

Like I said, I really like the guy and think he is undervalued in general. Lets be real though, this is a guy who is exposed to waivers more often than Marie Curie was exposed to radiation and yet no other team seems to value you him quite as much as we do which based on how many times we have exposed him, ....is not all that much.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish people stop using dWAR. It is seldom put in proper context. His DRS (from which dWAR is derived) for LF (the position he has played predominately, and would likely play again) is zero/average. Now, there is clearly a negative trend defensively, likely influenced by injuries. Also his UZR rating is less favorable than DRS.

I think it can be a handy thing, but few realize it's (defense + positional adjustment), so when you start comparing between positions things get muddled. A below-average shortstop will grade out higher than an above-average LFer, as it should be, but that often confuses more than enlightens.

I get what your saying, I don't care what the stats say, my own two eyes tell me that Pearce is a guy you do not want out in LF everyday. The more time he spends out there the more he is exposed. Spot start, injury fill in etc....no problem, he is a guy I like cause he can fill in several spots and can periodically give you some decent output while filling in. In that regard I think he has more value than people realize. The fact he is better than Cruz in the OF there is not saying a whole lot IMO.

Like I said, I really like the guy and think he is undervalued in general. Lets be real though, this is a guy who is exposed to waivers more often than Marie Curie was exposed to radiation and yet no other team seems to value you him quite as much as we do which based on how many times we have exposed him, ....is not all that much.

I think I have to rep this post just for the reference to Madame Curie.

I think it can be a handy thing, but few realize it's (defense + positional adjustment), so when you start comparing between positions things get muddled. A below-average shortstop will grade out higher than an above-average LFer, as it should be, but that often confuses more than enlightens.

Yes. In context it is a fine statistic.

LOL ty :)

Pearce is actually one of my favorite guys. Pretty ordinary player who I think gets the most out his ability cause he works hard, knows his role and does it to the best of his ability. I respect that immensely. I can honestly say when the MFY picked him up, it was the first time I can remember ever hoping a MFY did well.

Pearce is more than fine defensively in LF which is where your worst outfielder is assigned. Heck the Orioles used to play Mickey Tettleton there and way back when Boog Powell. Heck the Yankees played Yogi Berra there in the 1960 World Series and the Senators the lumbering Frank Howard at 6 foot 7 and 265 pounds. You act like Pearce is a liability in LF and he certainly is not.

Pearce is more than fine defensively in LF which is where your worst outfielder is assigned. Heck the Orioles used to play Mickey Tettleton there and way back when Boog Powell. Heck the Yankees played Yogi Berra there in the 1960 World Series and the Senators the lumbering Frank Howard at 6 foot 7 and 265 pounds. You act like Pearce is a liability in LF and he certainly is not.

For the record,

Hondo played 533 games in RF and 923 games in LF.

He also managed to squeeze in 334 games at First in his career.

Tettleton played four innings in RF, in one game, for the Orioles in 1990. Never played LF for the O's. He did go on to play 119 games in right and 24 in left for the Tigers (and also Rangers) after the infamous Jeff Robinson trade.

For the record,

Hondo played 533 games in RF and 923 games in LF.

He also managed to squeeze in 334 games at First in his career.

I knew he played first base later in his career but didn't know he ever played RF. Must have been when he was a Dodger. I didn't follow him when he was on the West Coast. Still, he was predominantly a left fielder as your record shows.

Aren't most players "exposed" to waivers as a matter of course? And near as I can tell, Pearce hasn't simply drifted through waivers on his way to purgatory...he's been claimed several times (how does SteveO think we first got him, anyway?).

Regardless, if a person's eyes are telling him/her that Pearce is "scary" in LF, then that person either needs to lay off the mind-altering substances (and avoid major airlines until the engine-eating imp disappears), or renew their corrective lens prescription. Pearce hasn't been out in LF all that often, but he's looked fine when has been.

Unless the person supporting the "scary" notion can provide some examples that illustrate Pearce's hair-raising OF play, that is. Socal, you already pointed out some of the strong plays from this year. I don't see the downside.

Tettleton played four innings in RF, in one game, for the Orioles in 1990. Never played LF for the O's. He did go on to play 119 games in right and 24 in left for the Tigers (and also Rangers) after the infamous Jeff Robinson trade.

Not true. I saw him playing in LF for the O's. This just goes to show you cannot always trust written records. I guess you will attribute this to senility or something but, I am sure some other old timer will recall it as well and then, maybe you will believe it.

Not true. I saw him playing in LF for the O's. This just goes to show you cannot always trust written records. I guess you will attribute this to senility or something but, I am sure some other old timer will recall it as well and then, maybe you will believe it.

Sure you did, your right and the records are just wrong.

Whatever.

Archived