Baseball America released its Top 500 Draft Prospects list yesterday so I thought I'd do a quick Cntr + F and type in MD to see which draft prospects from the state of Maryland made the cut. This year we have these following five...

25. Nick Howard - RHP - Virginia (From Olney, MD)

Howard was a standout prep at St. John's HS in DC and a shutdown closer for the Cavaliers this year. He figures to be the first player from the state of Maryland drafted.

67. Jake Stinnett - RHP - Maryland

Stinnett is actually from California but he pitches as the Friday night starter at Maryland which is what counts to me. He'll be taking on Howard and UVA this weekend in the Super Regionals.

235. Justin Morris - C - Dematha HS

The O's added a local prep catcher, Alex Murphy, to the system last year. If they want to do so again this year, Morris could be the guy. He has a commitment to Maryland.

261. Peter Solomon - RHP - Mount St. Joseph

The top prospect from the MIAA this year, Solomon is a projectable 6'4" righthander that has reportedly touched 90 mph with his fastball. He is commited to Notre Dame.

316. Troy Stokes - OF - Calvert Hall

Fun fact: I played against Stokes two years ago when he was a sophomore. His speed stood out to me then and still does now as PG has clocked him as high as 6.47 in the 60 yard dash. He is committed to Maryland.

Others: Jeff Harding, Jr.- RHP/3B - Cambridge-South Dorcester HS (Rated 456 by Perfect Game)

The top prospect from the Eastern shore is committed to South Carolina. He's a small righty at 5'11, 170 lbs but has reached the low 90's with his fastball.

Brad Markey - RHP - Virginia Tech

His name hasn't shown up on any lists but he was a standout prep at C. Milton Wright and previously by the Mets in the 35th round so he deserves mention. The Senior led the Hokies with a 3.67 ERA this year as one of their primary SP's.

Archived