Scrat1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

o

Happy birthday, Benny Ayala. :)

In September of 1984, Ayala actually hit a check-swing home run to the opposite field against the Yankees.

Here are the details:

I've mentioned this before, but I saw Benny Ayala hit a check-swing home run against the Yankees in September of 1984.

I was watching the game on WPIX-11, and Ayala checked his swing, and the ball somehow found its way just a tad over the wall down the right-field line in Memorial Stadium.

The 3-run check-swing home run won the game for us, as we were trailing by a score of 6-4 in the 8th inning when Ayala hit it.

THE GAME:O http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL198409242.shtml

o

Happy birthday, Cesar Izturis.

For me, his most memorable game for the Orioles was a game in which I was at. It was Opening Day 2009, and the Orioles were playing the Yankees with their newly acquired free agents Mark Teixeira and C.C. Sabathia.

Early in the game, we were up big. But then the Yanks came back to within one run, at 6-5. In the bottom of the 8th inning, we had a runner on first base, and up stepped Izrturis. Izzy sent a ball to deep left-field. The person behind me yelled, "Get out. PLEASE, get out !!!" About a second and-a-half later, O.P.A.C.Y. erupted when the ball just barely cleared the wall. Our precarious 6-5 lead was suddenly a comfortable 8-5 margin, Sabathia was taken out, the Yank relievers continued to get pounded, and we had our big Opening Day win against Sabathia, Teixeira and the Yankees ....... possibly the biggest win of that entire 2009 season for us. :)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/i/izturce01.shtml

o

Happy birthday, Cesar.

o

Happy birthday, Willie Kirkland.

Kirkland played for the 1964 Orioles, who went 97-65 overall.

He hit 3 HR's in 172 plate appearances before being traded to the Senators in mid-August.

For his career, Kirkland hit 148 home runs in 3,882 plate appearances.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived